Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Hobbies

Hobbies

Old May 4th 2019, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
I think you're right haha. While I was at work on friday in Sydney (Building the light rail) I found a record shop I'd not heard of before. Managed to get hold of a 12" promo of Amy Winehouse featuring Jay Z. I had to get it, but it needed compny so I got the 12" of Damien Marley - Welcome to Jamrock, and a couple of Lee 'Scratch' Perry albums. I bought a record cleaner last week, it has a vacuum cleaner on it, please help me
No, no,no - you need a piezo static-zapper and an uncured rubber dust roller like we all had in the 90s
Old May 4th 2019, 4:04 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
No, no,no - you need a piezo static-zapper and an uncured rubber dust roller like we all had in the 90s
I haven't seen one of those anti static guns for years haha. I had to get a new brush recently as my old one was bald.

I want an anti static guns now 😂
Old May 4th 2019, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen one of those anti static guns for years haha. I had to get a new brush recently as my old one was bald.

I want an anti static guns now 😂
Oh, I'm sure I have one somewhere
As I recall, I also had a battery-operated one badged by Audio-Technica that whined, clicked and popped soothingly when the button was pressed....
Old May 4th 2019, 10:34 am
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're right haha. While I was at work on friday in Sydney (Building the light rail) I found a record shop I'd not heard of before. Managed to get hold of a 12" promo of Amy Winehouse featuring Jay Z. I had to get it, but it needed compny so I got the 12" of Damien Marley - Welcome to Jamrock, and a couple of Lee 'Scratch' Perry albums. I bought a record cleaner last week, it has a vacuum cleaner on it, please help me
Sounds like a good haul you got there.

I remember hearing a John Peel session of Lee 'Scratch' Perry doing
and prefer this version over the released single.
Old May 5th 2019, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I convinced (or should that be brain-washed?) myself at the time that my 1970's dust-bug and piezo static-zapper transformed the sound of all my records.
Had a Quadraphonic set-up at the time with a Dual HS52 system (huge 2x10W), Sony SQA-2030, Wollensak 3M8050 8-Track cartridge player and few other bells & whistles.
Still have the Dual, the Sony and probably the anti-static gun boxed up somewhere, and now regret selling the Wollensak about 20 years ago.
I recall reading in an on-line version of What Hi-Fi, "8 Track Cartridge enjoys an unlikely resurgence". Knowing how I loved mine (and also listening to 8-Track cartridges in the MGC), my interest was aroused, then I noticed the date of the review, 1st April 2017..... But who knows, they may make a come-back, as music cassettes appear to be doing reasonably well - I still have hundreds of 'em.
Old May 5th 2019, 9:03 pm
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Sounds like a good haul you got there.

I remember hearing a John Peel session of Lee 'Scratch' Perry doing Bafflin' Smoke Signal and prefer this version over the released single.
One of the Perry ones is new and will be played on this one

my RP3 , love this beast .

And the other was second hand and will be played on this.

or this

or this

Or even this

ive got some issues

That happens a fair bit, you think why didn't you release that one, it was far better.

Last edited by stevenglish1; May 5th 2019 at 9:14 pm.
Old May 5th 2019, 9:20 pm
idealist

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe View Post
I convinced (or should that be brain-washed?) myself at the time that my 1970's dust-bug and piezo static-zapper transformed the sound of all my records.
Had a Quadraphonic set-up at the time with a Dual HS52 system (huge 2x10W), Sony SQA-2030, Wollensak 3M8050 8-Track cartridge player and few other bells & whistles.
Still have the Dual, the Sony and probably the anti-static gun boxed up somewhere, and now regret selling the Wollensak about 20 years ago.
I recall reading in an on-line version of What Hi-Fi, "8 Track Cartridge enjoys an unlikely resurgence". Knowing how I loved mine (and also listening to 8-Track cartridges in the MGC), my interest was aroused, then I noticed the date of the review, 1st April 2017..... But who knows, they may make a come-back, as music cassettes appear to be doing reasonably well - I still have hundreds of 'em.
theres a lot of that about, especially when someone has spent heaps on an upgrade. Cables are always a good one, "it's a subtle difference but you can definitely hear it"
I recently picked up two radiogram with dual turntables, they have a great reputation that's for sure. Still got to power those up.

My dealer keeps telling me about the reel to reel he has, I told him he's no better than a crack dealer.
Old May 7th 2019, 2:30 am
idealist

I'm working in town hall in Sydney today, pretty much smack in the middle of two record shops. Jesus Christ
Old May 7th 2019, 3:28 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Hobbies:

One of my serious hobbies is genealogy. I don't know why but I love the puzzle nature of it. Finding and fitting together a family tree and any hopefully interesting bits and bobs of anecdotes and stories that goes with that. It can be frustrating when there are dead ends and lack of records but when a tree comes together quite well and someone is happy enough with it then I get a great sense of satisfaction with the project.

I also like to draw and paint but often find it hard to give myself permission to spend time like that. It most often ends up my shelving that for chores or DIY.
Old May 7th 2019, 5:44 am
idealist

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Hobbies:

One of my serious hobbies is genealogy. I don't know why but I love the puzzle nature of it. Finding and fitting together a family tree and any hopefully interesting bits and bobs of anecdotes and stories that goes with that. It can be frustrating when there are dead ends and lack of records but when a tree comes together quite well and someone is happy enough with it then I get a great sense of satisfaction with the project.

I also like to draw and paint but often find it hard to give myself permission to spend time like that. It most often ends up my shelving that for chores or DIY.
My dad enjoys doing that, went back 3 generations, bonobo. Explains a fair bit I suppose 😂
Old May 7th 2019, 10:37 am
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working in town hall in Sydney today, pretty much smack in the middle of two record shops. Jesus Christ
Keep calm and don't panic.

Maybe a recce first without the wallet?

Old May 7th 2019, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Hobbies:

Great Hobby Bevs. Until one finds an intruder/skeleton in the closet eh?........
Old May 7th 2019, 3:53 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Great Hobby Bevs. Until one finds an intruder/skeleton in the closet eh?........
The missus, one of her aunts did some digging years back and found a fun surprise
Old May 7th 2019, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

But Tweedie, skeletons are the best part! My best discovery (I don't mean to brag about it, but, well... why not?) was that one of my grandmothers' grandfathers was killed with an axe one night while lying drunk in the front garden of his house. He (the victim) was a drunkard and habitual wife-beater, and was probably killed by one of their sons. It was quite apparent - from the report of the inquest - that the coroner didn't try very hard to identify the killer.

That's a wonderful skeleton to have - much better than the occasional ancestors born of incestuous unions, don't you think?
Old May 7th 2019, 9:06 pm
idealist

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
But Tweedie, skeletons are the best part! My best discovery (I don't mean to brag about it, but, well... why not?) was that one of my grandmothers' grandfathers was killed with an axe one night while lying drunk in the front garden of his house. He (the victim) was a drunkard and habitual wife-beater, and was probably killed by one of their sons. It was quite apparent - from the report of the inquest - that the coroner didn't try very hard to identify the killer.

That's a wonderful skeleton to have - much better than the occasional ancestors born of incestuous unions, don't you think?
That is pretty cool. A mate of mine did W bit of digging, turns out his grandad was a bit of Nazi war criminal . Needless to say he doesn't advertise it too much

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.