Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Hobbies

Hobbies

Old Apr 30th 2019, 7:39 am
Just Joined

SallyGreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hobbies

I'm really in fashion and beauty. Love everything that is related to these topics. Also, big yoga and fitness fan.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 9:46 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
You're fine, stick with the vinyl and the appropriate players, just don't go adding any slow cookers into that mix.

I'm hooked on vinyl (is this just a boy thing?) and I have to admit to being borderline obsessive on the whole sound delivery front, as in the quality of the sound, not the number of overhead speakers, spatial blah stuff etc, 5.1 is perfectly good for me (and the room in question), mostly but...

I listen to a whole range of different music styles.

I listen to reggae quite a bit.

I don't always stay seated during reggae, 'specially when I have the place to myself.

When I move around I sometimes struggle to hear the bass 'as it should be heard'.

Can I justify a second sub-woofer?

Aaarrgh...
Of yourself you can justify a second sub woofer 👍👍. I love a bit of reggae, a huge black uhuru fan me, and scientist too . My biggest problem of s that when I've had a beer I cannot listen to a whole album, I always think of the next one and get impatient 😁😂
Old Apr 30th 2019, 10:00 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Why, thank you. I'm not at home in my theatre, so can't really appreciate all the subtleties in that mix.( To be honest Dub is not really my thing anyway).

I'm holed up in some dredfull (gerrit?) place somewhere between Dijon and Fu..Kn...Wh... tomorrow's target being that old hilly place again. I am enjoying the worst ever NETWORKING experience since ... shite, sorry Steve, not the right place for this rant.

Matter in hand (metaphorically speaking that is), I was thinking musically more along the lines of the utterly brilliant Aswad, Meanwhile Gardens, (Notting Hill) and the mid to late eighties this version is not bad but not quite what I had in mind.

A suivre, when I get somewhere with a half decent network.
Aswad 👍👍👍, check out the young Brinsley Forde 😂😂

Old Apr 30th 2019, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Aswad 👍👍👍, check out the young Brinsley Forde 😂😂

https://youtu.be/CAKobLjH3tA.
Ah memories! - I remember taking the pee out of the skins stomping their Doc's to this......
and of course, Mary Whitehouse's favourite
Old May 1st 2019, 8:14 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Maths has become my hobby I left school with no qualifications and have spent my life trying to rectify that, as a personal challenge it began with keeping up with my kids....

With Aspergers/ADHD and a TBI to boot learning has always been a challenge because I have always been drawn to distractions, I am drawn it's a ƃuᴉʞǝɟ pain in the arse half the time and I am my own biggest distraction.

I am a over achieving underachiever I love photography that doesn't involve people time-lapse is my thing and Macro photography, what people don't stop to see because they are walking over it.

I like to learn but I forget quickly I am my own vicious circle and whilst I'm busy I don't see it.....

Last edited by Chatter Static; May 1st 2019 at 8:17 pm. Reason: Asterix can't convey what I'm saying......
Old May 1st 2019, 10:14 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I dabble in photography too, using mostly vintage lenses if I can, but manual anyway. I got a bunch of Pentax and Mamiya lenses that are from the late 60's for the most part, off a Vietnam vet as he couldn't do photography anymore and they've been amazing lenses. A little beat up, little heavy, little slow to focus especially in the winter, but they're fab.

I also throw some rocks. My second years season just ended and the pic shows pins from places I've either thrown rocks at, or folks I've thrown them again and some of them are event/league winner pins. A few of them, a friend gave doubles of when he went travelling and a cousin got one from her local club. Still, not a bad haul.

The St Andrews club pin, they're down in Ardsley NY, but they have a lot of history. Childs, Kaysar, Dykes, Gordon Emmett, they're probably the 4 biggest events that rotate around the east coast. Kaysar, Dykes and the Gordon of the pair, where original St Andrews members and that last competition is something like the third oldest continuous championship event in the US.

I played in that event last year, when they needed to round off a spot and was invited. Have not been smoked so badly ever. Not quite rotating the score board, but there were some very seriously good curling teams.
Attached Thumbnails Hobbies-img_20190428_190257328.jpg  
Old May 1st 2019, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

The equipment is secondary really - this is a shot I took in 2003 on my first digital camera - a plastic Fuji with 2.8 megapixel resolution!!
Old May 1st 2019, 11:05 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
The equipment is secondary really - this is a shot I took in 2003 on my first digital camera - a plastic Fuji with 2.8 megapixel resolution!!
That's a great photo!
Old May 1st 2019, 11:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A past hobby involved taking scenes from movies or TV shows and copying them onto one vhs tape using 2 vcrs, sometimes with kind of a theme running through...like a couple of Casablanca scenes and a scene from a little known movie called Mr Love where a cinema projector breaks down near the end of a showing of that movie and the female usher and male projectionist - knowing the movie off by heart - act out the final scene for the audience.
Old May 2nd 2019, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
That's a great photo!
That's a great model - Doutor Pedro Coelho (Dr. Peter Rabbit in Portuguese - not the late Prime Minister of that land...) or Pedro for short

He was our nethie house-rabbit, whip-smart and all pets in one. Barked like a dog (almost), checked every visitor by nose and curled up on SWMBOs lap in front of the TV all evening. Terroriser of invading cats and nibbler of the "forbidden" lavender. Gone five years yet the hole in our lives still remains.

Time does not heal, indeed........
Old May 3rd 2019, 6:37 am
idealist

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Lovely shot, I think animals are way more photogenic than us lot. So is my latest record player though.

for this and more seamless Segways, please visit my website 😂😂😂
Old May 3rd 2019, 10:36 am
idealist

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
Maths has become my hobby I left school with no qualifications and have spent my life trying to rectify that, as a personal challenge it began with keeping up with my kids....

With Aspergers/ADHD and a TBI to boot learning has always been a challenge because I have always been drawn to distractions, I am drawn it's a ƃuᴉʞǝɟ pain in the arse half the time and I am my own biggest distraction.

I am a over achieving underachiever I love photography that doesn't involve people time-lapse is my thing and Macro photography, what people don't stop to see because they are walking over it.

I like to learn but I forget quickly I am my own vicious circle and whilst I'm busy I don't see it.....
That last paragraph makes me totally identify with you 👍👍👍
Old May 3rd 2019, 10:58 am
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
...I cannot listen to a whole album, I always think of the next one and get impatient
I'm convinced that 12" singles were brought out with people like us in mind.
Old May 3rd 2019, 4:50 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I dabble in photography too, using mostly vintage lenses if I can, but manual anyway. I got a bunch of Pentax and Mamiya lenses that are from the late 60's for the most part, off a Vietnam vet as he couldn't do photography anymore and they've been amazing lenses. A little beat up, little heavy, little slow to focus especially in the winter, but they're fab.

I also throw some rocks. My second years season just ended and the pic shows pins from places I've either thrown rocks at, or folks I've thrown them again and some of them are event/league winner pins. A few of them, a friend gave doubles of when he went travelling and a cousin got one from her local club. Still, not a bad haul.

The St Andrews club pin, they're down in Ardsley NY, but they have a lot of history. Childs, Kaysar, Dykes, Gordon Emmett, they're probably the 4 biggest events that rotate around the east coast. Kaysar, Dykes and the Gordon of the pair, where original St Andrews members and that last competition is something like the third oldest continuous championship event in the US.

I played in that event last year, when they needed to round off a spot and was invited. Have not been smoked so badly ever. Not quite rotating the score board, but there were some very seriously good curling teams.
I collect vintage Nikon and Rusky lenses as they are the go to lenses for stop motion and time lapse you can use them on a Nikon or Canon body and in modern stop motion production the cameras are tethered to a PC because most shots tend to be tracked and need post with digital effects, but the reason for using vintage on modern cameras is a vintage lens keeps the aperture in the same position between shots but a modern lens the aperture open and closes between shots and will never go back to the identical same position which creates a flicker when turning the shots into film.
Old May 4th 2019, 12:37 am
idealist

I'm convinced that 12" singles were brought out with people like us in mind.
I think you're right haha. While I was at work on friday in Sydney (Building the light rail) I found a record shop I'd not heard of before. Managed to get hold of a 12" promo of Amy Winehouse featuring Jay Z. I had to get it, but it needed compny so I got the 12" of Damien Marley - Welcome to Jamrock, and a couple of Lee 'Scratch' Perry albums. I bought a record cleaner last week, it has a vacuum cleaner on it, please help me

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.