Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Hobbies

Hobbies

Old Apr 28th 2019, 9:57 pm
  #1  
idealist
Thread Starter
 
stevenglish1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 5,026
stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hobbies


I'm a mad keen record, and probably worse, record player collector. My wife and most of my friends think I'm a bit of a fruitloop as I've built my own bar (more of a full on English pub really) in there I have 11 of my fully functioning record players, and my other passion, horse brasses.
​​​​​I honestly can't walk past a record player being thrown out without saving it and fixing it, it's becoming an issue 😂

This is the latest one I've acquired (number 21), an absolute beauty. Needs fixing as the turntable doesn't work but that's no biggie.

Does every man need a hobby or do I have a problem? what are your hobbies or obsessions ?

Last edited by stevenglish1; Apr 28th 2019 at 10:06 pm.
stevenglish1 is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 12:01 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
lizzyq's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: State College PA, finally!
Posts: 2,225
lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Does every man need a hobby or do I have a problem? what are your hobbies or obsessions ?
My hobbies are cooking, quilting, knitting and gardening. Each inspires me to collect and rescue different items. If I had unlimited space I would rescue every old sewing machine I came across, I have multiple sets of knitting needles and cannot resist a yarn bargain from our local creative reuse shop. With gardening I pick up plants from the "dead and dying" rack at our local Lowe's as they mostly need water and tlc, some make it a few haven't but overall I have won out and spent far less than I would have done on the full price plants. Cooking wise I visit our local Goodwill regularly and have a good range of cast iron skillets and Pyrex mixing bowls from there too. Some of these might border on obsession, but so long as we can pay the bills and eat they can't be too bad!

lizzyq is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 12:05 am
  #3  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 3,659
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Camera equipment.

In the 70s, I bought a Konica Autoreflex T3N, one of the first auto-exposure 35mm SLRs with a superb 50mm f1.7 standard lens which equalled the Nikkor equivalent. I bought various lenses for it, a 24mm f.4 Hexanon (Konica), a 135mm f2.8 Hexanon, a Tamron 70-210mm f3.5 zoom and my pride, a Vivitar 35-105mm f3.5 zoom with a massive lump of glass at the front. Every penny i earned went on kit..... the camera cost me 3 weeks wages and the Vivitar cost me over a month's!! That, plus the Vivitar pro flashes, tripods, cases ..... everything. Then Konica brought out the FS-1, the first 35mm SLR with a built-in autowind, it used the same lenses, so I had to have that and could wear both bodies, plus various lens cases. I have a picture of myself at 22, hair over my shoulders, pablo moustache, denim on denim and my beloved Konica and 70-210 around my neck. I still have them..... just not the hair, moustache or a body to look good in tight denim

When digital came along I ignored the early point-and-shoot stuff and only took notice when through-the-lens focus was available and "accessible". I got an early plastic-bodied Fuji (still have it) which was only 2.8mp but took a good shot if you framed it right (I'm still impressed with some of the pictures I got). Then, as I turned 50, I decided that I needed to re-engage, but digital SLRs were still too rich for my blood, so I bought a Nikon Coolpix 5700, 5mp "bridge" camera..... magnesium body, class optics. (you guessed it, still in the loft) and later replaced it with a Nikon Coolpix 8800, which was a similar concept, but 8mp and with built-in image stabilization. That was my mainstay for many a year and is still in my bag.(somewhere).

But I then got taken by the Lumix micro 4/3 range - good optics and nice quality. I bought the DMC-G3 16.1mp mirrorless TTL and a few lenses for that. That was followed by the G5, because I convinced myself that the higher-resolution screen and the newer sensor set-up would make all the difference. But I wasn't finished there.... I really liked the look and feel of the Lumix GX7, because it looked more like a rangefinder camera (no fake prism) and it had stabilization built into the body, not the lens, so I could use non-Lumix lenses. So that gives me 3 Lumix bodies......

That was my last purchase (of bodies).... but then I got my heart's desire - a mounting ring to allow me to use my beloved Konica 35mm lenses on the GX7!! Bliss... even if the Vivitar 35-105 weighs about 3 times as much as the GX7 body!!

not so much a hobby, more an obsession.

Last edited by macliam; Apr 29th 2019 at 12:14 am.
macliam is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 12:39 am
  #4  
idealist
Thread Starter
 
stevenglish1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 5,026
stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Camera equipment.

In the 70s, I bought a Konica Autoreflex T3N, one of the first auto-exposure 35mm SLRs with a superb 50mm f1.7 standard lens which equalled the Nikkor equivalent. I bought various lenses for it, a 24mm f.4 Hexanon (Konica), a 135mm f2.8 Hexanon, a Tamron 70-210mm f3.5 zoom and my pride, a Vivitar 35-105mm f3.5 zoom with a massive lump of glass at the front. Every penny i earned went on kit..... the camera cost me 3 weeks wages and the Vivitar cost me over a month's!! That, plus the Vivitar pro flashes, tripods, cases ..... everything. Then Konica brought out the FS-1, the first 35mm SLR with a built-in autowind, it used the same lenses, so I had to have that and could wear both bodies, plus various lens cases. I have a picture of myself at 22, hair over my shoulders, pablo moustache, denim on denim and my beloved Konica and 70-210 around my neck. I still have them..... just not the hair, moustache or a body to look good in tight denim

When digital came along I ignored the early point-and-shoot stuff and only took notice when through-the-lens focus was available and "accessible". I got an early plastic-bodied Fuji (still have it) which was only 2.8mp but took a good shot if you framed it right (I'm still impressed with some of the pictures I got). Then, as I turned 50, I decided that I needed to re-engage, but digital SLRs were still too rich for my blood, so I bought a Nikon Coolpix 5700, 5mp "bridge" camera..... magnesium body, class optics. (you guessed it, still in the loft) and later replaced it with a Nikon Coolpix 8800, which was a similar concept, but 8mp and with built-in image stabilization. That was my mainstay for many a year and is still in my bag.(somewhere).

But I then got taken by the Lumix micro 4/3 range - good optics and nice quality. I bought the DMC-G3 16.1mp mirrorless TTL and a few lenses for that. That was followed by the G5, because I convinced myself that the higher-resolution screen and the newer sensor set-up would make all the difference. But I wasn't finished there.... I really liked the look and feel of the Lumix GX7, because it looked more like a rangefinder camera (no fake prism) and it had stabilization built into the body, not the lens, so I could use non-Lumix lenses. So that gives me 3 Lumix bodies......

That was my last purchase (of bodies).... but then I got my heart's desire - a mounting ring to allow me to use my beloved Konica 35mm lenses on the GX7!! Bliss... even if the Vivitar 35-105 weighs about 3 times as much as the GX7 body!!

not so much a hobby, more an obsession.
I can totally appreciate that level of obsession. I have different cases of records that I only play on record players from the same era. I fixed up and painted one in a two tone design that I play my reggae and ska on.

I grew a beard (my wife hates me with one) just so I could bribe her into letting me buy a rare tool picture disc. This is like a confessional, feels good
stevenglish1 is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 1:22 am
  #5  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 13,428
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

My hobby was low grade mountaineering, but I do it so rarely now, its hard to claim it as a hobby. I blame the plague that is trees in the part of the World that I moved to, compared with Britain.

These days it is more likely that you will find me driving VR racing simulators. That would be me driving around the Nordschleife, in a 1992 DTM car, while sat at home. I have the wheel, three pedals and a shifter, hooked up to the computer, and a virtual reality headset, (Oculus Rift). VR really has found its niche with racing simulation. Its perfect for really feeling like you are driving that car on that track. I find it very relaxing, almost like meditation. You find yourself concentrating so heavily on the process of driving that everything else is driven out, no pun intended. Raceroom Racing Experience is my software of choice.
kimilseung is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 1:56 am
  #6  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 3,659
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
I can totally appreciate that level of obsession. I have different cases of records that I only play on record players from the same era. I fixed up and painted one in a two tone design that I play my reggae and ska on.

I grew a beard (my wife hates me with one) just so I could bribe her into letting me buy a rare tool picture disc. This is like a confessional, feels good
Yeah, the sadness is that most of the kit is now worth next to bugger-all - superb optics foresworn for plastic and copal shutters replaced by chips. The Vivitar lens takes an 85mm filter - so imagine the lump of glass I'm talking about! MUST STOP!

Bluebeat and ska were my thing.... I had Al Capone by Prince Buster on the original Bluebeat label, God knows where now. The bad news came when the skinheads decided they liked moonstomp - and I was a biker, leathers, denim and castrol as an aftershave. I still have lumps where three of them decided to take me "for a dance" after a Mardi Gras Ska concert in the Abbey churchyard in Bath... until my mate arrived and they legged it. We cruised around for a while with me on pillion with my camán at the ready, but they'd away to their mammies. We got pulled over and I really don't think Plod bought my excuse that I was just back from a game...... Oh - and if I recall the "Mardi Gras" was on a Friday in June, don't ask, 1970s Britain at its best!! Then it was punk and trips up to the Marquee and the Roxy - Stranglers and the Clash - so when two-tone evolved, I was in heaven. Simpler days and dangerous as Hell.

Oh, just to complete my hoarder status, I still have a PL12D c/w Audio-Technica (moving coil) cartridge and a Dual CS505 spinning through a Sansui AU205 with a TU205 tuner driving Celestion DL8s - with a Philips gen2 CD player and a JVC super-ANRS deck on auxilliary...... all racked up and ready to rumble.... and not used in well over 15 years!!

Last edited by macliam; Apr 29th 2019 at 2:10 am.
macliam is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 3:40 am
  #7  
44 day fiancee
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,610
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

I bake cakes, knit, sew, I'm relearning how to crochet and I make edible flowers from fondant. That I require an entire room to house my cake stuff doesn't necessarily mean it's an obsession. At least that's what I tell myself.
Dorothy is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 2:02 pm
  #8  
Brexicide Now
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 44,218
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Does every man need a hobby or do I have a problem? what are your hobbies or obsessions ?
I don't know if everybody needs a hobby, but it certainly makes life much more enjoyable if you do.

Most people know me enough by know to remember that music is my main one, which unfortunately is also another expensive hobby and one that requires a lot of space and time as well, but it's worth the investment to me anyway. I also enjoy photography but I'm not really good enough at it to justify going mental buying lenses and pretty much all my gear is used especially since I switched over to digital because I'd be broke if I bought new

My wife's the creative one though, she picked up crochet a few years ago and she can make just about anything you could come up with now and she can knock them out quickly too.
SultanOfSwing is online now  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 2:25 pm
  #9  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,057
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Needless to say, living in, and owning an American home, DIY is my hobby.

Repairing or replacing hardware, or plumbing fixtures, wiring or electrical repairs, diagnosing and repairing appliances, and correcting things that were installed improperly in the first place, including problems from when the house was built, not to mentioning painting, especially the exterior parts of the house that get full exposure to the sun, and various other maintenance tasks, is an on-going and never ending.

I don't have much time for anything else.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 29th 2019 at 2:39 pm.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 2:34 pm
  #10  
Brexicide Now
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 44,218
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Needless to say, living in, and owning an American home, DIY is my hobby.

Repairing or replacing hardware, or plumbing fixtures, wiring or electrical repairs, diagnosing and repairing appliances, and correcting things that were installed improperly in the first place, including problems from when the house was built, not to mentioning painting, especially the exterior parts of the house that get full exposure to the sun, and various other maintenance tasks, is an on-going and never ending list of tasks.

I don't have much time for anything else.
I guess if you enjoy it then all good but that just sounds like torture to me.
SultanOfSwing is online now  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 2:38 pm
  #11  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,057
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I guess if you enjoy it then all good but that just sounds like torture to me.
Well at least it supports my hobby of collecting tools. I may eventually have enough to start a museum.

My recent additions include a wifi/ smart-phone-linked endoscope probe for looking inside walls, narrow spaces, and ductwork, and a cant hook for manipulating logs, not to mention a new pro-grade chainsaw.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 29th 2019 at 2:54 pm.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 2:40 pm
  #12  
Brexicide Now
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 44,218
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Well at least it supports my hobby of collecting tools. I may eventually have enough to start a museum.
If you did that, you could charge for entry, thus funding the purchase of even more tools. You could keep yourself going for years to come.

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
My recent additions include a wifi/ smart-phone-linked endoscope probe for looking inside walls, narrow spaces, and inside ductwork, and a cant hook for manipulating logs, not to mention a new pro-grade chainsaw.
How many places have you stuck the camera into just to see what's in there?
SultanOfSwing is online now  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 2:47 pm
  #13  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,057
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
..... How many places have you stuck the camera into just to see what's in there?
Only two so far, the dryer duct and the ceiling void where a starling found its way in, but there are almost unlimited possibilities.

The list of likely areas to probe includes the chimney, where Mrs P thinks there is a bird nest, the area under the main bath where there is an intermittent leak, and inside the upstairs wall where the project to run co-ax from the attic to the (downstairs) living room has stalled.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 2:53 pm
  #14  
Brexicide Now
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 44,218
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Only two so far, the dryer duct and the ceiling void where a starling found its way in, but there are almost unlimited possibilities.

The list of likely areas to probe includes the chimney, where Mrs P thinks there is a bird nest, the area under the main bath where there is an intermittent leak, and inside the upstairs wall where the project to run co-ax from the attic to the (downstairs) living room has stalled.
Just remember, if she ever loses her patience and tells you to stick your camera up your arse, please don't take it literally.
SultanOfSwing is online now  
Old Apr 29th 2019, 6:55 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
lizzyq's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: State College PA, finally!
Posts: 2,225
lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobbies

And now have discovered another way to add to my knitting obession hobby - dyeing my own yarn.

From this:


to this:



to these:


lizzyq is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.