British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/have-you-ever-been-famous-five-mins-904019/)

GeniB Oct 1st 2017 9:19 am

Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 
I am getting so bored with these ongoing posts on Trump and Brexit and the post referendum stuff.... Thought I might inject another little light hearted post along with the Jokes etc

Have you ever stood out from the crowd and been famous for something? Done something extraordinary... If so what? Or met someone famous maybe?


Tell all here :starsmile:

I will kick it off.... I once launched a newspaper!!! At least my face did :lol: A little 'rag' that featured (almost) the first pictures in colour . I was famous for about two days. .A guy wrote to the publisher to get my address.. I was the girl of his dreams apparently (must have had horrible ones then :lol:) Newspaper decided I was too young to receive such things. So I never found out who he was...Bah-

mikelincs Oct 1st 2017 9:32 am

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 
Had numerous radio and TV interviews, and also was filmed for a TV sketch, which was broadcast, for an April fool segment, interviewed on radio by all sorts of stations, including 'Talk Sport' and also radio station in Australia. Appeared on the front page, photo and article, of my local Newspaper.

Expatrick Oct 1st 2017 9:44 am

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 
Do Court appearances count? :lol:

GeniB Oct 1st 2017 9:51 am

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12350806)
Had numerous radio and TV interviews, and also was filmed for a TV sketch, which was broadcast, for an April fool segment, interviewed on radio by all sorts of stations, including 'Talk Sport' and also radio station in Australia. Appeared on the front page, photo and article, of my local Newspaper.

Wow Your in the big league What were your interviews about.. Are you a specialist in something?

GeniB Oct 1st 2017 9:52 am

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12350810)
Do Court appearances count? :lol:

YEP :lol: We want a blow by blow account

moneypenny20 Oct 1st 2017 10:05 am

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 
Paul Burnett 'interviewed' ;) me on the Radio One Roadshow in St Ives in the late 70s. Nowhere near 5 minutes though. :lol:

GeniB Oct 1st 2017 10:16 am

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12350820)
Paul Burnett 'interviewed' ;) me on the Radio One Roadshow in St Ives in the late 70s. Nowhere near 5 minutes though. :lol:

God I remember that name..and the roadshow...and St Ives...Lovely memories Barbra Hepworth's gallery (museum?) :starsmile:

uk_grenada Oct 1st 2017 10:45 am

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 
When i moved i was the subject of one of those ‘moving to the tropics and buying a house’ programmes - several years ago - but keeps on being repeated in the uk. You know, vicarious holidaying/dreaming of tropical idylls on tv.

As a result i do keep on being recognised and called out in the uk and in grenada, which is i guess natural, there arent many progs in the uk on grenada and their ex pats do love to see home.

One funny thing - all those progs have a bit where you walk up a beach. When they tried to film it, we got repeatedly stopped for a chat by locals and tourists, ‘are you the couple making ...’ and 300 yards away a cameraman with a long lens was jumping up and down :-)

mikelincs Oct 1st 2017 11:11 am

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12350812)
Wow Your in the big league What were your interviews about.. Are you a specialist in something?

I was the Public Relations Officer for British Naturism for several years, so was the first contact for the media on all things related to Naturism in the UK. I also set up many other interviews for other people, and helped organise a press campaign for the launch of Persil Aloe Vera washing powder.

robin1234 Oct 1st 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 
This probably doesn't count, just anonymously present at a famous event.

I was there when the Beatles filmed the publicity film for Strawberry Fields in Knole Park. My friend John who was also there never got over it. Paul McCartney said to him, presumably jocularly, "My, but you're a pretty boy, aren't you?" John never forgot that. We only saw part of the filming, I think they took a couple of days over it.

Pica Oct 1st 2017 2:19 pm

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 
I got a cheer from a packed Wembly stadium at a Rolling Stones gig -before the gig began. I'd lost my OH after nipping off for water & to try and get his attention a guy lifted me onto his shoulders and I took off my top and waved it round my head-the bra stayed on despite attempts by some chap to remove it.

joto Oct 1st 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 
Not me, but DD. She did a couple of television shows with her activity group, and was in the Guiness book that year. They also met Prince Edward because of it, but that was a lot of years ago now.

GeniB Oct 1st 2017 5:17 pm

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12350852)
I was the Public Relations Officer for British Naturism for several years, so was the first contact for the media on all things related to Naturism in the UK. I also set up many other interviews for other people, and helped organise a press campaign for the launch of Persil Aloe Vera washing powder.

Well I guess that was revealing all...:o My OH gets as close to that as poss given our circumstances :starsmile:

GeniB Oct 1st 2017 5:26 pm

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12350909)
This probably doesn't count, just anonymously present at a famous event.

I was there when the Beatles filmed the publicity film for Strawberry Fields in Knole Park. My friend John who was also there never got over it. Paul McCartney said to him, presumably jocularly, "My, but you're a pretty boy, aren't you?" John never forgot that. We only saw part of the filming, I think they took a couple of days over it.

Lorks ..Did your friend mind that comment?

My father was one of the first to book the Beatles a gig outside of Liverpool and the cavern (not counting their Hamburg days of course) It was for our local agricultural show. I had been following them at the cavern,so twisted his arm as he was President of the show that year. We chatted to them,but never thought to get autographs.. too shy I guess.:(.

GeniB Oct 1st 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Have you ever been 'famous' for five mins?
 

Originally Posted by Pica (Post 12350960)
I got a cheer from a packed Wembly stadium at a Rolling Stones gig -before the gig began. I'd lost my OH after nipping off for water & to try and get his attention a guy lifted me onto his shoulders and I took off my top and waved it round my head-the bra stayed on despite attempts by some chap to remove it.

You devil you !!:o


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:21 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.