Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

A Food thread

A Food thread

Old Sep 15th 2020, 4:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Food thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
So did anyone complain about the food?
Some clown shouted "Stewed figs and rice with a ploughman's!!??"
Old Sep 15th 2020, 4:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Some clown shouted "Stewed figs and rice with a ploughman's!!??"

Cross thread jokes are the best
Old Sep 24th 2020, 4:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I made my best ever fried eggplant today. Not a very high bar mind.

A particular restaurant in Crete managed to get it like potato chips - delicious and crispy - while other places did much less well. My versions were always at the less well end. The very end.

I had tried it with flour, beaten egg and both but never bettered soggy but tasty.

Today I tried it with egg and breadcrumbs. Not crispy by any stretch but the oil left in the pan didn't seem any less than when I put the slices in.

They were firm - I could hold them by the edges (with tongs) when I removed them from the pan - but soft without being soggy.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Crispy French Fries are one of my serious delights. Nothing like hot, salty, finger-burning fries from McDonalds, fresh out of the fryer. I've tried making them at home numerous times over the years, both oven-types and fried types, and nothing has come close. Today, on a lark, I bought these - Ore-Ida 'Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries'.

I heated a small amount of olive oil in a big frying pan, fried them for about 8 minutes, and they came out really, really, really good! I can't believe how good they were! I will try again tomorrow and see if it was a fluke but they were perfect ... crispy, crunchy, soft in the center, chewy ... just 'everything' they needed to be! I will also try oven-baking them ...

Old Sep 25th 2020, 2:49 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Crispy French Fries are one of my serious delights. Nothing like hot, salty, finger-burning fries from McDonalds, fresh out of the fryer. I've tried making them at home numerous times over the years, both oven-types and fried types, and nothing has come close. Today, on a lark, I bought these - Ore-Ida 'Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries'.

I heated a small amount of olive oil in a big frying pan, fried them for about 8 minutes, and they came out really, really, really good! I can't believe how good they were! I will try again tomorrow and see if it was a fluke but they were perfect ... crispy, crunchy, soft in the center, chewy ... just 'everything' they needed to be! I will also try oven-baking them ...
There are quite a few that more than do the job. I don't know if you get Cavendish

These are great but a bit peppery.
These are 'normal'

Both are oven style but the results are unbelievable. They work in the actifry too although best to use the 'basket' otherwise they can fall apart a bit in the process.
Proper chips are best, of course, but sometimes 'fries' hits the spot and these definitely do.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing, absolutely nothing compares to real U.K. fish and chip shop chips.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 3:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Nothing, absolutely nothing compares to real U.K. fish and chip shop chips.

Listen to the sound of that frying! Music to my ears.

Old Sep 25th 2020, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few that more than do the job. I don't know if you get Cavendish

These are great but a bit peppery.
These are 'normal'

Both are oven style but the results are unbelievable. They work in the actifry too although best to use the 'basket' otherwise they can fall apart a bit in the process.
Proper chips are best, of course, but sometimes 'fries' hits the spot and these definitely do.
For the first 15 years of my life, we had home-made chips cooked in lard every single night! The lard lasted forever, and it was 'cleaned' (filtered) every now and then, but not replaced. Very occasionally (I wish my mum were still alive - I'd call her and ask her how often!) we would get fresh lard and we'd all complain that the taste was no good! The chips were cooked in an open 'chip pan' with a basket. The entire kitchen had a 'film of grease' that we had to clean from time to time. I would 'pinch' chips from the hot oil just before they were ready and get told off ... The problem I have with 'fish and chip shop' chips is that they are wrapped and carried home, by which time the oil has re-absorbed and softened them. Chips to me are only good when totally fresh - maybe up to 2 minutes out of the oil! All the 'fish and chip shops' I knew as a kid were take-out only so no opportunity to eat them fresh. Actually, staggering home from the pub was the one opportunity to buy chips and eat them while stumbling home!

But once I discovered French Fries in the US (actually experienced them at roadside spots in France, too - pommes-frites) I was smitten.

I have to confess to making 'chip butties' too ... terrible white bread, lots of butter, and hot chips that would cause the butter to run everywhere ... somehow magical!
Old Sep 25th 2020, 9:09 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
The problem I have with 'fish and chip shop' chips is that they are wrapped and carried home, by which time the oil has re-absorbed and softened them.
I never really found that but the chip shops were usually quite close. If too far, I'd eat on the way home.

Interestingly I always thought they kept well in the usual wrapping paper and newspaper. I've had fish and chips here - decent ones, finally - and they've been delivered pretty quickly and no matter what they've been packed in, they pick up the steam.
There is a place 5-10 minutes away that puts it on a cardboard plate and inside a brown paper bag. It works quite well.

I have to confess to making 'chip butties' too ... terrible white bread, lots of butter, and hot chips that would cause the butter to run everywhere ... somehow magical!
Add a fried egg and break the yolk as you put it on the bread. Spread it around a bit and then put the chips on.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 9:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Two stage cooking with a cooling period between seems to be key.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 5:10 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Two stage cooking with a cooling period between seems to be key.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mF6...?v=2mF6C9fGqHU
As 'net sources go vis-a-vis making frietjes (chips) that is probably one of the best that I've seen, although I would disagree slightly in one respect.

Not all spuds are created equal, Keef makes an extremely good point that floury potatoes will be good, waxy ones much less so.

The chips should be cut as uniformly as possible, a chip cutter is invaluable. They can be found much cheaper than advertised on Amazon, and will outlast all of us.

After cutting, Keef says to rinse the chips, BB says not, just leave them covered single layered on a teatowel, pat them dry before the first fry. And don't parboil them, ever.

Easiest and most controllable cooking is with a deep-frier; fat or oil is down to preference, some oils will start to 'burn' at lower temperature. I use beef fat, the kind that is solid at room temperature.

As caretaker points out, cook-cool-cook is the key. This can even be extended to cook-cool-cook-cool-cook which might seem odd, but can come in handy on the odd occasion. I use different temperatures and times to the ones in the recipe linked-to in the you-tube, but the important point is to not over-do things on the first cook.

After first cook and cool, they take well to freezing.

I'm baking my own (real) bread now, and am rediscovering chip butties. Sublime.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 6:32 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Not all spuds are created equal, Keef makes an extremely good point that floury potatoes will be good, waxy ones much less so.
We don't get much choice in the way of Spuds here. We get Reds, Whites, Yellows or Russets and then you get a few overpriced 'baby new' which are often not that baby anyway or mixed colours.
Oddly, Russets make the driest chips. I was initially a bit put off by the yellow ones but they do make good chips.

I'm still going to say that the actifry makes very good chips (and roast spuds) especially if they are to be eaten with curry or mayo.

After cutting, Keef says to rinse the chips, BB says not, just leave them covered single layered on a teatowel, pat them dry before the first fry. And don't parboil them, ever.
I tend to soak and rinse them but that's because it reduces the potassium content which is something that I have to guard against.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 6:57 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

We don't get much choice in the way of Spuds here. We get Reds, Whites, Yellows or Russets...
Reds are to be avoided at all times for chips. Russets are good, available varieties are bound to be dependent on local supply. T'Intenet will bang on about "King Edward" and "Maris Piper" being best. Yeah, right, try and find those where I am

...I'm still going to say that the actifry makes very good chips...
Chaque un sa merde

...I tend to soak and rinse them but that's because it reduces the potassium content which is something that I have to guard against.
Yes, very good point, if dietary needs be. I was running at it from a "less splatter" angle. Sorry.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 7:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Reds are to be avoided at all times for chips. Russets are good
This might be a fry/actifry thing.
Until I stopped being put off by Yellows, Reds were best for everything. Roast, boiled, mash, baked (especially) and chips. But that's actifry fried as opposed to fried fried.
Similarly Russets were mostly dry actifried but I confess some of them have been good lately- perhaps because the goose or duck fat I used was key.

Waxy and floury I didn't even recognise those differences with all those different spuds back in the UK.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This might be a fry/actifry thing.
Until I stopped being put off by Yellows, Reds were best for everything. Roast, boiled, mash, baked (especially) and chips. But that's actifry fried as opposed to fried fried.
Similarly Russets were mostly dry actifried but I confess some of them have been good lately- perhaps because the goose or duck fat I used was key.

Waxy and floury I didn't even recognise those differences with all those different spuds back in the UK.
You keep referencing 'Actifry'; google suggests a Tefal-branded product line that suggests both 'low fat' and 'air fry' options. I just watched a few youtube vid's of the actifry, Seems like the 'purpose' is to allow you to use LESS oil than otherwise needed (not 'no oil'), AND perhaps to produce less smell (airborn oil)? When I cook things like this at my g/f's place, she freaks out, opening all the windows so if less odor is a feature I may give it a look!

'Waxy vs floury' - when / how exactly is this observation made? Is this something you can discern upon slicing open a potato, or is is determined some other way (like, how it looks after being boiled)? I've heard it many times but never really understood what I'm looking for or when.

By the way - I made another batch of the 'Ore-Ida' 'fast food' french fries last night, frying pan + brief 'pour' of Olive Oil, and they again came out 100% perfect! Crispy/crunchy without being hard; fluffy / soft / chewy center; salty. I still have to try them in the oven ... . The amount of oil I'm using is nowhere near enough to cover the bottom of the pan; it's just enough so that, when I add the fries, I can stir them around and 'coat' them in oil. It's the 'crunchy without being hard' that's the amazing part ... all prior attempts to do these in a pan have resulted in a 'dried out' effect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.