Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

A Food thread

A Food thread

Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Food thread

Finally sampled a beyond burger tonight. On offer @ $5 for a pack of 2 instead of $8.

They're pretty good if you have them with 'the works' including a nice bun - like the tomato and basil ones we had.

Hard to see them becoming popular when normally $16 for 4 when you can buy very good sirloin or angus burgers @ $12 for 8.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 12:53 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight I'm eating our redcurrants in an excellent but simple manner: dip string of currants in red wine, then into sugar, then eat straight from the string, excellent

Old Jul 5th 2020, 2:22 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
Tonight I'm eating our redcurrants in an excellent but simple manner: dip string of currants in red wine, then into sugar, then eat straight from the string, excellent
Hmmm, replace wine with Port (or other such) and that's good for most tart fruit.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Finally sampled a beyond burger tonight. On offer @ $5 for a pack of 2 instead of $8.

They're pretty good if you have them with 'the works' including a nice bun - like the tomato and basil ones we had.

Hard to see them becoming popular when normally $16 for 4 when you can buy very good sirloin or angus burgers @ $12 for 8.
Wow - that's still pricey! I've bought several 8 packs for $15 from Costco - that's $1.85 each. I find their packaging to be excessive. I still have 2 8-packs in the freezer, bought at the start of the Covid thing. I also bought some 'bison burgers' - they are awesome! Forget how much they cost, but I had one last night (have a ton of those in the freezer too!) and it was wonderful.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/05/busin...ks%20of%20two.

Old Jul 6th 2020, 1:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Wow - that's still pricey! I've bought several 8 packs for $15 from Costco - that's $1.85 each. I find their packaging to be excessive. I still have 2 8-packs in the freezer, bought at the start of the Covid thing. I also bought some 'bison burgers' - they are awesome! Forget how much they cost, but I had one last night (have a ton of those in the freezer too!) and it was wonderful.
I just checked what's mysteriously called Wholesale Club here. I say mysteriously because no membership is required.
They do a box of 40 for $100. Works out to $2.50 each.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:37 pm
Oscar nominated

I had a small pot of this delivered today among my groceries.

Delicious with Brie it says. It's only a tiny pot. 70g. I'm worried I might spoil the brie as well as the spread by mixing it. But I can't not try it can I?

Old Jul 12th 2020, 12:28 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

A few weeks ago we bought the pizza oven attachment for our wood pellet grill/BBQ. This is our 4th session using it and these were excellent - thin crispy crust, hot bubbly toppings.

Old Jul 12th 2020, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

A few weeks ago we bought the pizza oven attachment for our wood pellet grill/BBQ. This is our 4th session using it and these were excellent - thin crispy crust, hot bubbly toppings.

Ooooh that looks like a lovely crust! I would expect a few more blistery bubbles but if you say it was crispy, I'll believe you! How did you make the dough?
Old Jul 12th 2020, 8:38 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Ooooh that looks like a lovely crust! I would expect a few more blistery bubbles but if you say it was crispy, I'll believe you! How did you make the dough?
I use this recipe https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...a-crust-recipe, but usually use bread flour rather than all purpose. One batch of dough makes six 8" diameter bases. On this occasion I made the dough in the bread machine on Thursday afternoon to use that evening but life intervened and the dough sat, covered in an oiled bowl, in the fridge until Saturday afternoon (!). I took it out of the fridge, weighed it, divided it into 6 equal pieces and let it rest at room temperature for about 40 minutes. After resting I roll each piece out into a thin 8"-ish diameter squircle and place it on a piece of foil, liberally dusted with cornmeal, dust the top with flour and make a stack of pizza bases interleaved with foil. The foil makes it easier for everyone to put on their own toppings and still be able to get the uncooked assembly onto the pizza peel They cook in about 6 to 8 minutes.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 3:18 pm
Oscar nominated

Thanks to Spouse of Scouse's coaching I made some Coronation Chicken today.

MIL made up one of her chicken and everything salad bowls leaving some aside for me to add mayo, sultanas and curry powder.

It's perfect.

If I had one in the last 20 years it would be from Sainsbury's salad cart. If not, then it must be around 30 years in a hotel in Tenerife.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 10:03 pm
Oscar nominated

Best cheesecake I ever had

Old Aug 5th 2020, 11:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Best cheesecake I ever had

Saw this in the supermarket...they also had 2 more...salted caramel and chocolate.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:19 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Saw this in the supermarket...they also had 2 more...salted caramel and chocolate.
There's a strawberry one too.

Outside of Europe where the fruit tops nice pastries it's the first time I've ever had some sort of cake with all that fruit on top and not been disappointed at the sub quality base. So often here you see all that fruit and then it's plain old sponge underneath.

Old Aug 6th 2020, 3:43 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to Spouse of Scouse's coaching I made some Coronation Chicken today.

MIL made up one of her chicken and everything salad bowls leaving some aside for me to add mayo, sultanas and curry powder.

It's perfect.

If I had one in the last 20 years it would be from Sainsbury's salad cart. If not, then it must be around 30 years in a hotel in Tenerife.
Linky to posty purleasey.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 3:45 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose we could try similar on the top of our woodburner. You lift away the grate cover to cook right on the top - not that we do that as it is in the lounge.

Anyway. My eyes are not on the pizzas . They are on the lovely cat table cover. 👀😺

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.