Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

A Food thread

A Food thread

Old Jun 22nd 2020, 5:09 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Food thread

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I'm wondering whether to reduce the water, increase the temperature, or extend the baking time

Only one of those three, obviously.

Oh, yes, and drop the sugar level.
I think to reduce the moistness you need to cut down the water, the other two will only lead to a drier/harder crust rather than changing the inside. 425F is 218C and I usually bake my bread at 200 to 210 C in my convection oven, so the recipe already calls for a pretty hot oven.

The recipe as written is 1.12 flour to 1 water by weight, my usual recipe is 1.6 flour to 1 water. I think I would try a ratio of 1.3 to 1 ? so 590 grams of flour to 454 of water (or 512 grams of flour to 394 of water). I'm back on sourdough this week, so I shall leave the experimentation up to you
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 5:35 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
I think to reduce the moistness you need to cut down the water, the other two will only lead to a drier/harder crust rather than changing the inside. 425F is 218C and I usually bake my bread at 200 to 210 C in my convection oven, so the recipe already calls for a pretty hot oven.

The recipe as written is 1.12 flour to 1 water by weight, my usual recipe is 1.6 flour to 1 water. I think I would try a ratio of 1.3 to 1 ? so 590 grams of flour to 454 of water (or 512 grams of flour to 394 of water). I'm back on sourdough this week, so I shall leave the experimentation up to you

Okey-dokey, thanks for that. The crust is pretty much perfect as is, I wouldn't want it any harder.

I'll put the olives on hold and go for another plain loaf, reducing the water this time.
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 5:41 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Okey-dokey, thanks for that. The crust is pretty much perfect as is, I wouldn't want it any harder.

I'll put the olives on hold and go for another plain loaf, reducing the water this time.
Essentially the ingredients are pretty cheap so playing with the recipe to make it suit yourself is not a high cash outlay process so long as you have the time and inclination to do it. At least the results are likely to be edible
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 10:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I got pissed and ended up singing Ella Fitzgerald songs with these guys in the green room, oops.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

I made a cottage pie yesterday and forgot to put the baked beans in
Old Jun 26th 2020, 5:30 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't yet tried the reduced-water loaf, as on the day that I baked (last Sunday) BIL came over with one of his creations, so those two have done us pretty well for the last few days. Mid-week, OH said "yours doesn't toast as well"...

This evening I toasted the last of mine, buttered it, and immediately my mouth went "crumpet!"

Now that's a find, so maybe even increase the sugar very slightly from the original, revert to white flour, divide the mix for baking into a muffin tray and see what happens.

That's one for the back of the queue.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 6:39 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

I haven't yet tried the reduced-water loaf, as on the day that I baked (last Sunday) BIL came over with one of his creations, so those two have done us pretty well for the last few days. Mid-week, OH said "yours doesn't toast as well"...

This evening I toasted the last of mine, buttered it, and immediately my mouth went "crumpet!"

Now that's a find, so maybe even increase the sugar very slightly from the original, revert to white flour, divide the mix for baking into a muffin tray and see what happens.

That's one for the back of the queue.
The high hydration doughs do not make such good toasting bread, but yes I do agree on the crumpet-like texture of the peasant bread.

This is my standard recipe for bread rolls - I usually make a dozen baps out of it, good for sandwiches or burgers, but should work for loaf bread too.

SteveQ's grandmother's bread recipe.

1.5lb bread flour (sometimes I use part white, part wholemeal),
2 oz lard or olive oil or butter
1 dessert spoonful of salt,
15 floz of liquid (part milk, part water, proportions not vital),
2 teaspoons active dried yeast

Make dough (I cheat and use the dough setting on my bread machine), let rest after it has doubled in size divide into 12 equal pieces and shape as desired. Place on baking tray(s), dust with flour, cover with tea towel, leave in a warm place until doubled in size. Heat oven to 200 to 210C (400 to 425 F) and bake for 10 minutes, turn tray around and bake for another 2 to 3 minutes. Allow to cool before eating

Old Jun 26th 2020, 8:09 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

The high hydration doughs do not make such good toasting bread, but yes I do agree on the crumpet-like texture of the peasant bread.

This is my standard recipe for bread rolls - I usually make a dozen baps out of it, good for sandwiches or burgers, but should work for loaf bread too.

SteveQ's grandmother's bread recipe.

1.5lb bread flour (sometimes I use part white, part wholemeal),
2 oz lard or olive oil or butter
1 dessert spoonful of salt,
15 floz of liquid (part milk, part water, proportions not vital),
2 teaspoons active dried yeast

Make dough (I cheat and use the dough setting on my bread machine), let rest after it has doubled in size divide into 12 equal pieces and shape as desired. Place on baking tray(s), dust with flour, cover with tea towel, leave in a warm place until doubled in size. Heat oven to 200 to 210C (400 to 425 F) and bake for 10 minutes, turn tray around and bake for another 2 to 3 minutes. Allow to cool before eating
Thank you for sharing Steve's grandmother's recipe, 'tis now bookmarked in my Good Stuff (2020) folder.

I'll have a go at a full loaf version of that one soon-ish; we're not really roll/bap people, but when we eventually manage to get back to hosting BBQs, I have a bunch of great-nieces and great-nephews in mind for the taste test.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 3:08 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

Yesterday I did a half-quantity loaf using SteveQ's grandmother's bread recipe as posted just above. Result!!

It was slightly more dense than the previous peasant bread attempt, and I had trouble waiting for it to cool before tasting...

OH toasted some earlier today, and she gave it a definite

Later in the week I'll try another with olives and/or nuts.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 5:55 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

I am glad you liked it

To be perfectly honest, until I jumped on the sourdough wagon that recipe was pretty much all I used. I have successfully made a herby version by throwing some dried mixed herbs into the initial mix and cheesy by adding in grated cheese at the beginning, which gives a uniform cheese flavour without visible pieces of cheese. If you wanted distinct cheesy bits in the bread I would add the cheese after the first rise and knead it in then.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 12:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We had the first food delivery in a few weeks yesterday. From an Irish Alehouse.

We shared Irish Nachos. The 'kids' had a Belfast Burger. They were a bit reluctant to have the Guinness one. I had Killybegs fish and chips. MIL had another traditional Irish meal...Poutine.

Also on the menu is an Omagh Town FC sandwich. The menu lists it as Omaghtown. and chicken wings they called Aer Wingus.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:03 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
We had the first food delivery in a few weeks yesterday. From an Irish Alehouse.
We shared Irish Nachos. The 'kids' had a Belfast Burger. They were a bit reluctant to have the Guinness one. I had Killybegs fish and chips. MIL had another traditional Irish meal...Poutine.

Also on the menu is an Omagh Town FC sandwich. The menu lists it as Omaghtown. and chicken wings they called Aer Wingus.
Just for the craic!
Given that people across the water think the traditional St. Paddy's day food is corned beef, anyhing is possible.
Beef was one of the causes of the famine, so it's nothing to be celebrated and certainly not "traditional" at home!
Mind you, who has time for food on St. Pat's?
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

Aer Wingus Someone has a great sense of humour. Our local Chinese food restaurant and takeaway is called Wing Soon.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:32 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Aer Wingus Someone has a great sense of humour. Our local Chinese food restaurant and takeaway is called Wing Soon.
They should have a jackrabbit recipe called "Ryanhare"
Old Yesterday, 3:46 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Our local Chinese food restaurant and takeaway is called Wing Soon.
That reminds me of a favourite restaurant in Kennington that took a lot of our custom at the end of the '80s. The name of the restaurant was quite unassuming - The Orient Nepalese - but it was the manager who cracked me up.

The restaurant was 10 minutes walk across Kennington Park from the flat, and the manager was outside on the doorstep most evenings. If he spotted us leaving the park and heading in his direction, he would bellow out "Ah, long see no time!"

---

SteveQ's grandmother's loaf (half-quantities) + Greek olives added on second rise is about to hit the oven.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.