Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

A Food thread

A Food thread

Old Jun 20th 2019, 12:01 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Food thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I remembered an old thread about preferences for tea and coffee - well, general quirks really - where I mentioned my fussiness for the cup I would drink from. I tracked it down and your comment was in there.
I have different tea mugs/cups for different times of the day. Don't mess with that.

Old Jun 21st 2019, 1:39 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

About Bristol's mushrooms: Stuffed mushroom caps were a popular item when I was making snacks for art openings, and I liked that it took less effort than some of the other food. Save your bread crusts for making crumbs. You don't have to buy stuffer mushrooms, just pick out enough big or medium ones from the bulk bin. Detach the stems and save them, then carefully clean out the gills from inside the cap with a teaspoon. I save some of those too but it's optional. Typically I would dice the stems, mix with some of the diced gills, breadcrumbs, chopped green onion, maybe shredded cheese, seafood like chopped shrimp or pollock, diced ham or whatever you like. A touch of mayo in the mix can help bind it. Salt and pepper, herbs to taste. A teaspoon of wine in each cap, then the stuffing. I've done them with brie and bacon. Sprinkle finely grated parmesan on top and when it turns a nice gold after 15 or 20 minutes they should be done. There are tons of recipes out there and like with most dishes I like to look at several for inspiration and take away what I like. For a little more work you can try a few different stuffings on the same tray and really impress the hell out of them.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 6:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I went to my friend's place and checked it, picked up the junk mail in the porch, then on the way out loaded up on chives.

Old Jun 26th 2019, 7:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We have a store here which I always new was 'a bit different' to the norm but I never went...and then they had a fire.

I went to the new, bigger and better, re-opened version last week.

Sausages you don't get anywhere else...but still not Cumberland. Rhubarb Chutney. Loaves unseen by me in 15 years. And they had Mackays Whisky Marmalade so I don't need to rely on Amazon for that now.

Today I opened my French (that's from France, not Quebec) Pear Jam and had some on toast.
Indescribably beautiful.

Old Jun 26th 2019, 9:59 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

...Loaves unseen by me in 15 years...
I found one of those when we were packing for the move last September.

Today I opened my French (that's from France, not Quebec) Pear Jam and had some on toast. Indescribably beautiful.
That looks yummy. Do you ever use stuff like that to compliment a steak? I've something in the back of my mind involving filet steak, Munster cheese and sirop de Liège; tried it once, decided the the sirop was the weak point, some decent confiture would be a better fit. Probably swap out the Munster for Stilton as well.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 10:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I bought some provolone for half price yesterday, and was thinking I should make some sort of pocket thing (The Cordon Bleu Must Go Through). Can't leave provolone too long past it's expiry date or it smells more like feet than usual. There were 3 big pieces of fish in my lunch and more chips than I could eat so no real need to plan supper tonight.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 12:24 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
That looks yummy. Do you ever use stuff like that to compliment a steak? I've something in the back of my mind involving filet steak, Munster cheese and sirop de Liège; tried it once, decided the the sirop was the weak point, some decent confiture would be a better fit. Probably swap out the Munster for Stilton as well.
If it's good steak, I like it with no sauces and just like to taste the steak. If it's not so good then maybe a peppercorn sauce or bearnaise that's mostly on a baked spud.

I did have a sauce on a steak in a Danish restaurant (in Bristol) once and it was fantastic. Way back in the 70s.

Old Jun 27th 2019, 12:55 am
Stand-up Philosopher

BuckinghamshireBoy there's nothing wrong with the pastry thing, but it's not what I had in mind. I asked a chef I played darts with what his favourite way to prepare oysters was, and he said he liked to pocket a filet of veal or beef and stuff an oyster in there. Think how far that is from a standard ham and Swiss cordon bleu jammed into a chicken breast. I have the provolone, (and a few mushrooms left to make stuffed caps), I have no beef and no chicken breasts (I'll check to make sure), and I have the aromatic dried salami. Salami and provolone will likely overpower chicken breast, and I hesitate to use the pork I have because I've been eating pork recently (pork chops and pork curry). If I still have any hamburger frozen I might make a burger or burgers stuffed with provolone and salami. My chives will sex up the burger mix as well.
Scrap that, no burger, but I did find 2 frozen chicken breasts so that's it. The Cordon Bleu Must Go Through. When I worked in a big hotel in 1981 there was an anniversary party for the hotel and they had a pyramid with hundreds and hundreds of little lobsters hanging off of it on hooks, and when I saw them unloading a pallet of pre-assembled cordon bleu at the back of the kitchen with a forklift I made that saying up.
I can still use the salami (and mushrooms) if I want; there are no rules and I don't have to use a lot of it.

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 27th 2019 at 1:31 am. Reason: I saw a chance to correct my grammar and jumped at it.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 6:44 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
To fool the kids? No idea really, my sister's a vegetarian as is her teenage daughter, while her husband and teenage son are carnivores. I'd hate to be the cook in their house!
My mum doesn't eat much meat (most makes her ill) so for years I remember her cooking two spag bols, which is unfortunate for her because it was, and still is, my favourite so whenever I'm back in Blighty (in two weeks) she knows she's going back to cooking double

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I prefer to eat my food while it is still hot, not lukewarm.
Amen. My mrs is a nightmare for letting me serve up food, then deciding to reply to emails or do the dishwasher or hang out some washing or generally **** about. It drives me up the wall and even though she doesn't mind warm / cool food I find it incredibly annoying that I've spent time cooking for it to be ignored for a while. Drives me loopy.

If it's good steak, I like it with no sauces and just like to taste the steak. If it's not so good then maybe a peppercorn sauce or bearnaise that's mostly on a baked spud.

I did have a sauce on a steak in a Danish restaurant (in Bristol) once and it was fantastic. Way back in the 70s.
All you need on a decent steak is salt and pepper.

Although, if you've got a pot of chimichurri, I'm your man
Old Jun 27th 2019, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I have different tea mugs/cups for different times of the day. Don't mess with that.
Just discovered this thread----I also have favourite cups etc. Will even rewash my favourite ---particular size/colour etc. rather than use a different clean one!!

Also---why when we have vast numbers of place-mats/coasters (gifts) do we always use the back of magazines to put down cups or plates!!!!

Old Jun 27th 2019, 1:02 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Also---why when we have vast numbers of place-mats/coasters (gifts) do we always use the back of magazines to put down cups or plates!!!!
My MIL has a coaster - and she adds a folded paper towel. Other than that, none of us (4) uses a coaster, place mat or magazine.

I have a preference for a plain table and place mats, but MIL like a table cloth more than I don't so that's okay. No need for place mats or coasters then.

My stepdaughter uses an old kindle for a coaster next to her laptop.

I do usea supermarket flyer as my mouse mat.

Old Jun 27th 2019, 2:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I do use a supermarket flyer as my mouse mat.
I use flyers or the Sunday supplement paper they come in as place mat, mouse pad, and note pad. When it wants changing I just recycle the top sheet. Function over form, and I (obviously) have no adult supervision.

Old Jun 27th 2019, 5:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

The big wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano I started on 6 or 8 months ago is a little lump of hard cheese and rind now (finely grated still does incredible things for tomato soup!), so I had to replace it the other day. The Reggiano was in the back of the store shelf so at first I thought all they had was Grana Padano (which I'd never had). Eventually I found the Reggiano, but pulled my phone out and after finally finding a page that wasn't in Italian, read up on the difference. Apparently the Grana Padano isn't quite as salty/sharp and isn't produced or sold as much as the Reggiano, but it's still very popular. It was about $5 cheaper so I bought the Grana Padano but haven't opened it yet. If I make the stuffed chicken breasts tonight I'll give it a test drive. The webpage noted that because it wasn't as sharp it's a bit more suitable as a snack with drinks, which is good and bad, since one thing that makes buying an $18 or $24 wedge of parmesan appealing is that it lasts a long time, and that might not be as easy if I'm nibbling at it all the time.

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 27th 2019 at 5:09 pm. Reason: I had to, I had the name wrong!
Old Jun 27th 2019, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Caretaker, You can freeze the rinds and use one of them to flavour a home made tomato sauce for pasta. Our local shop gives bags of them away. Grated parmesan freezes so well it doesn't need defrosting- just take the bag and sprinkle it wherever you need it.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 11:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pica View Post
Caretaker, You can freeze the rinds and use one of them to flavour a home made tomato sauce for pasta. Our local shop gives bags of them away. Grated parmesan freezes so well it doesn't need defrosting- just take the bag and sprinkle it wherever you need it.

Must be nice where they're giving it away! It seems to keep well enough in a bag in the fridge door butter compartment, but with a new wedge size is a consideration. The last bit seems good in there too; it's hard but the fine grater makes it magic again. I should open up the Grana Padano and try it....
Edit: It's good, and as advertised is milder, not as salty and it's softer too.. It is something I would include in an alfresco snack tray whereas I wouldn't use the Parmigiano Reggiano for that.

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 27th 2019 at 11:45 pm.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.