Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

A Food thread

A Food thread

Old Feb 13th 2020, 10:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Food thread

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
It would cook a little faster unstuffed or as you say use some stuffing mixes. Or this looks good too! Stuffing balls cooked outside the bird rather than a big lump of stuffing inside it, and the timings are for an unstuffed bird.
https://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/...range-stuffing
I shall take a look at that, thanks again.

This one's my current guide.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 11:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

At first I wanted tacos, then saw the half price chicken wings and saw my opportunity to clean out some of the fridge another way. The rest of the leeks, the last of the cilantro, most of the mushrooms, the two tomatoes that were starting to get soft, some red onion and the rest of Mr Patak's magic paste. I cooked extra rice so I can either invite my friend over or have enough for lunch tomorrow at work. I didn't use all those lime leaves, but about 3/4 of them.

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 14th 2020 at 12:01 am. Reason: because of the change, silly
Old Feb 16th 2020, 7:59 pm
Still mal-fonted. Why?

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Never tried one, so have nothing to offer, sorry.

But... I will be dining with brother-in-law on Saturday evening, so I'll pick his brains. He's into 'esoteric stuff', and is a bloody brilliant cook.
Re: Goose

Brother in law claims not to have cooked one which surprised me a bit, but he said that if he was looking for hints and tips, then he'd probably start with Delia Smith and / or Hairy Bikers...
Old Feb 16th 2020, 8:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I've cooked a lot of geese, but they've all been wild geese, so no help there. My only suggestion is if it costs $60 don't buy it. If it's half price and $30 don't buy it either. No Hutterites in NB, or I'd say phone the colony.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 8:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

There's about 20 minutes to go of Gordon Ramsey's method as linked earlier.

I do have a Plan B in case it's inedible. I have some chicken portions on too. If the goose works then the chicken's for tomorrow.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 9:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I do have a Plan B in case it's inedible.
I'm not looking at the recipe but I think you'll be ok.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 11:29 pm
Oscar nominated

Not a great result.
Gordon Ramsay's was bigger than mine but he said 15 minutes per kilo, so just under an hour for mine. Too long.

He got at least half a dozen nice slices from each side of the breast. I got two not very nice pieces before hitting bone. Skinny thing. Overcooked.

The drumstick and thigh meat was pretty good though.

But it was so difficult to extract enough meat the pieces I had cut went cold. I cut my losses and we had what I'd cut off so far padded out by the chicken drumsticks. A nice dinner but only because of everything else. The chicken thighs are still available for tomorrow.

I might try this method for a couple of ducks.

Goose is probably best left to someone who can do it properly and that includes carving. It didn't behave like Gordon's did.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 4:33 pm
Oscar nominated

The morning after.

The supermarket here sells Goose fat for $7 a jar. I now have a jar three times the size so if I subtract that from the price the goose cost $12

Simmering the bones with a little water, wine and chicken powder added veg and some Pav Bhaji Masala I have a saucepan of magnificent tasting broth.

There was a surprising quantity of meat prised off, some of which has been used in a sandwich and the rest can be added to my broth or to batches of mushroom curry, previously made and frozen.

Of course I could have done the same with a chicken, but it doesn't feel the total waste it did yesterday.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 2:45 am
Stand-up Philosopher

I've been thinking about fish tacos for some time, and finally got around to it. Middle of Feb in the Great White North and I haven't been ice fishing yet, but I have frozen fish fingers and frozen shrimp. I also have the jalapeno, cilantro, red onion, green onion, garlic, citrus, tomato, and sea salt to make salsa fresca and once you have that.... I gave the radish greens a wash and pat dry and they go well with it along with some chopped radish. Baked the fish fingers in the toaster oven and since the skillet was still hot from tortillas I fried the shrimp in butter and garlic and a little oregano. I've had 2 and they're delicious, and 1 more should do me for supper.

Old Feb 18th 2020, 1:03 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
...Baked the fish fingers in the toaster oven...
That's an interesting idea. Could work for fishcakes too?

Almost a topic on its own - alternative but effective ways of cooking something. Like my roast spuds done in the Actifry.

When I've wanted bread warmed but not toasted or not microwaved but not worth turning the oven on for, I've sat it on top the pop-up toaster. Only works with a flat one though, not one of those that slope (the toaster, not the bread)