Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

A Food thread

A Food thread

Old Feb 1st 2020, 1:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Food thread

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Photo #1 is what I can find here (and back in the old place) but more fat than meat? That's not how I remember Danish.
Yep...UK was streaky - lucky to get 60/40 meat/fat. Canada it's worse than 50/50 but there's one brand where you can get 60/40.
What we'd call back bacon here - is a lot - when you can get it.
There is this - peameal bacon

Which is actually pretty good but would be nicer with just a bit of streaky.

Photo #2 -Spam- an absolute lifesaver for a 15 year old scout having had his tent flooded out at 4 in the morning to find one's patrol leader already up and running, cooking spam fritters, served in between two slabs of Ryvita. BEST. FOOD. EVER.
I remember my dad fried some leftover spam sandwiches that were pretty good but the spam bacon really is quite different to ordinary spam. In between two crispbreads?

I forgot this one. I mistakenly called it Chicken Bacon earlier as that's what MIL said. It's actually turkey bacon.

It's surprisingly decent and actually looks like meat. It was quite a surprise, because I've had this before which appears the same from the wrapper but looks completely fake.

Old Feb 1st 2020, 1:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

the thought of turkey bacon makes me want to

what the hell is wrong with proper bacon?
Old Feb 1st 2020, 2:20 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
More fat, more salt, more calories.

That's not necessarily wrong and is probably what makes it taste very nice.

However, swap some real bacon out for some turkey bacon in occasionally and it's less unhealthy.

It's a bit like real beer being nicer than alcohol free beer but alternating gives you fewer calories and less alcohol.
Old Feb 1st 2020, 10:59 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Pork's in the marinade, salsa fresca is prepared, beans are rinsed and ready to get refried with the cilantro and green onions.... When I start cooking here it's going to be machine gun noises. It'll be tacotacotacotacotaco.

Old Feb 2nd 2020, 5:18 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
It was pig bacon (streaky) rather than spam bacon and today I had a chicken bacon L&T sandwich.

Chicken bacon rather than chicken and bacon.
I appreciate you changed this to Turkey Bacon.

I'm still horrified at you Bristol. You're better than this, much much better than this. In this region we suffer the likes of veal bacon, beef bacon, turkey bacon and chicken sausages where we have to when eating out but golly when it's a home cooked event it's nothing but porky pork.

Yes, Waitrose own brand 6 rashers of back bacon (no, streaky bacon still isn't bacon in my eyes) is about 8-10 quid a packet but it doesn't matter because it's two fingers up to the establishment here and worth every last penny.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
the thought of turkey bacon makes me want to

Well that just about covers the entire food industry for me Jersey.. What the hell was wrong with ordinary, proper , responsible grown, and ethically produced and managed FOOD? ... Umm it didn't make the Industry enough money ? at a guess...So a whole generation is growing up thinking 'Turkey Bacon' is normal.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I now count myself in food heaven here in Portugal .They have missed 90% of the food industries tampering ,being too poor until relatively recently . So I get to eat hand made ,fresh bread from a Monchique bakery ( in the summer months its also real croissants from a Fench baker who escaped from Paris ) The bacon is fresh cut ,and not in soggy packets of hormone filled brine . The meat is from local grass fed beef ( they think you are nuts when you ask that question..is it grass fed?) The fish ! Oh the fish is the freshest and the best on earth imo...caught just metres from my house.Veggies grown in the hills and fields behind my house...or indeed in my own garden.
Fish n chips? Several places to go to ..but Carvoeiro has a 'chippie 'run by a Dutchman that is as close to the one I used to frequent in Manchester as you can get.. ie perfection

Am I spoilt.? YEP.. Am I smug? YEP...Throw in excellent Portuguese wine and wall to wall sunshine. and indeed I am in food heaven
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 1:04 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
In this region we suffer the likes of veal bacon, beef bacon, turkey bacon and chicken sausages where we have to when eating out but golly when it's a home cooked event it's nothing but porky pork.
I've seen beef bacon but that's going too far. Turkey sausages are not bad but then it's really unusual to be able to buy a 'British' banger here. I've only ever seem them available twice. In 15 years.
Italian, Spanish, honey and garlic and the occasional wurst are common. I'd kill for Cumberland sausage.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 1:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'd kill for Cumberland sausage.
It's always the quiet ones.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 1:48 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen beef bacon but that's going too far. Turkey sausages are not bad but then it's really unusual to be able to buy a 'British' banger here. I've only ever seem them available twice. In 15 years.
Italian, Spanish, honey and garlic and the occasional wurst are common. I'd kill for Cumberland sausage.
Oh wow, that's a nightmare. We can get hold of richmond and walls sausages at worst case....but thanks to Waitrose, we don't go without too many things. The pork section (labelled 'non-Muslims only') is wallet burningly expensive but a MUST visit.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Make the effort.
https://www.krumpli.co.uk/making-sausages/
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 11:02 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
Killing's easier.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 5:29 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
Definitely worth the effort, we cooked some of our home made Cumberland sausages for American friends this weekend, they loved them! We use this site for recipe ideas https://sausagemaking.org/

Last edited by lizzyq; Feb 3rd 2020 at 5:34 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 6:19 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
Definitely worth the effort
Yeah but you're a whiz in the kitchen what with your sausages, mince pies and all the rest.

Old Feb 3rd 2020, 6:40 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but you're a whiz in the kitchen what with your sausages, mince pies and all the rest.

Awww! You are making me blush

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.