Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

A Food thread

A Food thread

Old Apr 9th 2019, 3:25 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Food thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Apparently it can be.

But I've mostly used it as chicken...but not in Canada where it's not allowed.

Sorry, no, just no!

Stick to this (with real beef) -

Old Apr 9th 2019, 3:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica View Post
A simple question... why do non meat and/or fish eaters want their food to look like meat or fish? For example making a non fish thing look like a fillet of fish?
To fool the kids? No idea really, my sister's a vegetarian as is her teenage daughter, while her husband and teenage son are carnivores. I'd hate to be the cook in their house!
Old Apr 9th 2019, 3:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
We have an existing food/recipe thread that was very popular.
No, this is fine. I posted a picture and a remark about cooking technique on the recipe thread once and was scolded for posting a picture with no accompanying recipe. It's nice to have a thread for discussion about food (as well as recipes) without those constraints.
I was tempted to buy a duck yesterday because No Frills had a few @ $4.40/kg, and might still go back; I do like soy duck. It takes a conscious effort to turn everything in the freezing compartment around periodically and use it up to make space for sale items.
Jsmith, if you can find pics and/or descriptions/recipes of some of the Mexican dishes you like in San Diego I'd like to see them. I'm curious how SoCal Mexican relates to food in Mexico. In Oliver I'm lucky enough to have a real Mexican tienda in my neighbourhood, but I also like to cook Mexican food out there because the stores stock things like the good little tortillas and specialty sauces (there's even a Mexican grocery store) for the migrant workers.
https://elsabordemarina.business.site/

Old Apr 9th 2019, 4:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica View Post
A simple question... why do non meat and/or fish eaters want their food to look like meat or fish? For example making a non fish thing look like a fillet of fish?
There's actually something in the news currently about a campaign to have the use of 'meat' words like steak, escalope, sausages restricted to...well, meat.

For those who just want to reduce meat intake, I suppose making an alternative at least look like what you're used to, probably makes it more palatable.

For already committed vegetarians, maybe they're sharing the dinner table with others who at least want it to look like meat.

But two people, say, both veggies...maybe just about presentation?
Old Apr 9th 2019, 4:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
No, this is fine. I posted a picture and a remark about cooking technique on the recipe thread once and was scolded for posting a picture with no accompanying recipe. It's nice to have a thread for discussion about food (as well as recipes) without those constraints.
That is one of the reasons I didn’t merge the threads. The other thread contains great info/recipes etc, but it has barely been used over the past few years. Seems to be past its sell by date.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 4:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
It takes a conscious effort to turn everything in the freezing compartment around periodically and use it up to make space for sale items.
I must confess, my MIL often comes back with stuff that's just not going to fit. It's not a big deal, though, it just means that we'll decide to have one of the turkeys so that will make space or we'll transfer some things to the fridge and it will dictate what we have for main meals for a few days.

We now try to list what we've got in the freezers so we don't burrow down looking for something that's not there and come up with frostbite instead.

We're always coming across stuff that's been in there 2 or 3 years but it's still good.

Old Apr 9th 2019, 4:46 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I know and well done you for opening this thread. I thought foodies may be interested in some of the recipes contained in the old thread.
I have had the recipe thread bookmarked for quite a while. I do however tend to use recipes mostly for inspiration/pointers.

I think that there is enough room on here for both threads.

Especially when the first link leads to the salt'n'vinegar batter recipe, and a link on that page leads to peanut butter ice-cream.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 6:29 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

There's actually something in the news currently about a campaign to have the use of 'meat' words like steak, escalope, sausages restricted to...well, meat.

For those who just want to reduce meat intake, I suppose making an alternative at least look like what you're used to, probably makes it more palatable.

For already committed vegetarians, maybe they're sharing the dinner table with others who at least want it to look like meat.

But two people, say, both veggies...maybe just about presentation?
Far too logical & reasonable! Truth is its a displacement activity - "my balls / burgers / fillets are better than yours"!
Old Apr 10th 2019, 8:50 am
Dedicated European

My sister is coming over from Australia next month. I suddenly recalled her coming out as a vegetarian some time ago (I haven't seen her in years) so thought I had better check her current status - answer below!

Old Apr 10th 2019, 4:32 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Sorry, no, just no! ...
Ah, now there's something we can agree on!
Old Apr 10th 2019, 4:38 pm
Dedicated European

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Ah, now there's something we can agree on!
Old Apr 10th 2019, 6:37 pm
Oscar nominated

Something on the radio this morning - "a doctor says" sort of thing - about it being better to add a healthy food, like grains, than to take away unhealthy food.

Henceforth I shall be adding a few grains of brown rice to my giant plate of chips and some oatmeal to my deep fried, battered Mars bar dessert.

That should give me a long and healthy life.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 6:41 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Something on the radio this morning - "a doctor says" sort of thing - about it being better to add a healthy food, like grains, than to take away unhealthy food.

Henceforth I shall be adding a few grains of brown rice to my giant plate of chips and some oatmeal to my deep fried, battered Mars bar dessert.

That should give me a long and healthy life. …..
I assume he meant add variety, not merely add to the over all quantity consumed.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 10:08 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I'd like salt'n'vinegar crisp faux batter. There again I don't like salt'n'vinegar crisps. Ole MrBEVS on the other hand might go for that.
Fish is expensive here but we sometimes score reasonable cheap fish via a courier that delivers to Talleys locally. It is a bit of a mix bag of course but usually very good nevertheless.

What with this and the sausage pasta thing MrVEVS will become a podgechops.

Was that batter good though. Did those crisps become soggified or something?
Old Apr 10th 2019, 11:20 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I'm not sure I'd like salt'n'vinegar crisp faux batter...Was that batter good though. Did those crisps become soggified or something?
This is what was surprising. I ate it on both visits without realising.

The first time I went I was so ecstatic to have found nice fish & chips after 14+ years here that I didn't pay much attention. It was just nice and crunchy like battered fish from a really good chip shop.

This time I noted that it had what I could only describe as bits on it, but I still didn't think crushed crisps.

I like salt and vinegar crisps but I didn't detect that flavour at all. .Probably the frying removes the taste.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.