British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   Fat Bear Week (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/fat-bear-week-935137/)

Jsmth321 Oct 4th 2020 6:51 pm

Fat Bear Week

Katmai National Park in Alaska has been having an annual game since 2014 called Fat Bear Week, where people can vote for who they think the fattest bear is.

The bears are currently in a state of hyperphagia in preparation for winter (as are most bears in North America) so stocking up on food, these particular bears in Alaska have access to one of the best salmon runs bears could ask for, which really helps in their quest to gain weight.

Twitter for the National Park. Fat Bear week ends October 6th.

Article here.

Jerseygirl Oct 4th 2020 7:04 pm

Re: Fat Bear Week

Should really be called Fat Shaming Bear Week. Surely there must be some sort of woke law about fat shaming bears. It’s just not right I tell you. :thumbdown:

Lion in Winter Oct 4th 2020 9:04 pm

That's a lot of bear.

spouse of scouse Oct 4th 2020 9:20 pm

This chubby guy wants to know why we can't have a fat bear week in Australia.
I told him it's because he's not really a bear. He wasn't amused.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...bb0c052a47.jpg

Jerseygirl Oct 4th 2020 9:39 pm

Fat shaming koalas is defo not on. :frown:

spouse of scouse Oct 4th 2020 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12918499)
Fat shaming koalas is defo not on. :frown:

:lol:

I'll apologise to fatty the koala next time I see him :D

Jerseygirl Oct 4th 2020 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12918503)
:lol:

I'll apologise to fatty the koala next time I see him :D

We need more threads like this and less political threads. :thumbsup:

spouse of scouse Oct 4th 2020 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12918507)
We need more threads like this and less political threads. :thumbsup:

I'm with you :thumbsup:

caretaker Oct 4th 2020 10:56 pm

The Katmai bear cam shows up on youtube menu to the right of the albatross cam, so some of us have been watching them for quite awhile. Some days there is a real gang, but I just see one out there right now.

Jsmth321 Oct 4th 2020 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12918494)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...bb0c052a47.jpg

And they evolved to have like the worst diet possible from a nutritional stand point, which is in part why they tend to sleep so much.

There are so few animals that can eat or survive on eucalyptus, our Koala friend, Common Wombat, and Sugargliders but I suppose if your native to forest filled with said trees its either adapt or go extinct.

Eucalyptus are low nutrient, high fiber, and if that wasn't enough to dissuade animals from eating it, the leaves also contain a toxin and provide little energy which is why they basically just sleep 20 some odd hours a day on average.

Panda's are up there with their diet too, mostly comprising low nutrient bamboo leaves, but Panda's are a tad less stubborn, their diet does contain 1% other stuff. But again, low energy food, so Panda's also sleep a lot and if that wasn't enough evolution threw in a few more curve balls to the panda's, they are picky about their mating partner so wont just do their thing with any random Panda, but wait there is more, not only are they picky about their mates, females are only fertile for a very short window each spring. female Pandas are in estrus for 12 to 24 days out of the year in the spring, but wait there is more, of the time spent in estrus, the female is only fertile for 24 to 36 hours out of the entire year.

It's amazing some of the species we have managed to survive this long, Panda's of course are endangered mainly due to loss of habitat, but their pickiness about partners and lack of fertile days, certainly doesn't help, it's why captive breeding programs end up a good chunk of the time using artificial means for breeding programs.

I think the Alaska bears got a better deal in the evolutionary process.:lol:

Lion in Winter Oct 5th 2020 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12918566)
And they evolved to have like the worst diet possible from a nutritional stand point, which is in part why they tend to sleep so much.

There are so few animals that can eat or survive on eucalyptus, our Koala friend, Common Wombat, and Sugargliders but I suppose if your native to forest filled with said trees its either adapt or go extinct.

Eucalyptus are low nutrient, high fiber, and if that wasn't enough to dissuade animals from eating it, the leaves also contain a toxin and provide little energy which is why they basically just sleep 20 some odd hours a day on average.

Panda's are up there with their diet too, mostly comprising low nutrient bamboo leaves, but Panda's are a tad less stubborn, their diet does contain 1% other stuff. But again, low energy food, so Panda's also sleep a lot and if that wasn't enough evolution threw in a few more curve balls to the panda's, they are picky about their mating partner so wont just do their thing with any random Panda, but wait there is more, not only are they picky about their mates, females are only fertile for a very short window each spring. female Pandas are in estrus for 12 to 24 days out of the year in the spring, but wait there is more, of the time spent in estrus, the female is only fertile for 24 to 36 hours out of the entire year.

It's amazing some of the species we have managed to survive this long, Panda's of course are endangered mainly due to loss of habitat, but their pickiness about partners and lack of fertile days, certainly doesn't help, it's why captive breeding programs end up a good chunk of the time using artificial means for breeding programs.

I think the Alaska bears got a better deal in the evolutionary process.:lol:

How is it that you know so much about animals? Were you going to be a zoologist or ecologist in an earlier life?

Lion in Winter Oct 5th 2020 12:14 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12918494)

Koalas never are amused.

Sugarmooma Oct 5th 2020 12:14 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12918538)
The Katmai bear cam shows up on youtube menu to the right of the albatross cam, so some of us have been watching them for quite awhile. Some days there is a real gang, but I just see one out there right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcWTPFnqOLo

We watch them a lot. You can always tell who is not welcome !
Need to find something political about this:tape:.....

Lion in Winter Oct 5th 2020 12:18 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12918538)

That's lovely. Two bears there, but no fish.

Jsmth321 Oct 5th 2020 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12918569)
How is it that you know so much about animals? Were you going to be a zoologist or ecologist in an earlier life?

I spent every Saturday from 14 to about 19 at the San Diego Zoo and worked there from 16 to 19 in the retail department so would wander the zoo on my breaks....and watched a lot of documentaries as a kid and well still watch a lot of shows on wildlife...

When I was a teenager I wanted to be a zoo keeper, but any good zoo requires a degree for said job.