Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Dare to dream?

Dare to dream?

Old Apr 5th 2021, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Popcornnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dare to dream?

I’m sorry to say, here is yet another ‘day dream believer’. And I’m not wealthy by any standards. But I got to thinking.....(dangerous)...my wife and I probably have £100,000 paid off our house. In 11 years, I’ll be eligible for UK state pension (think it’s £175 per week). Could I leave the cold, dark North East of England and retire somewhere warm, bright, dare I say....beautiful? It’s a big world, wrapped in a large red tape. Where overcast clouds of complexity obscure the simple dreams to wishful thinking.
And so, do I dare to dream?
yes, I do.
💛🙂

Old Apr 6th 2021, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dare to dream?

Originally Posted by Popcornnn View Post
I’m sorry to say, here is yet another ‘day dream believer’. And I’m not wealthy by any standards. But I got to thinking.....(dangerous)...my wife and I probably have £100,000 paid off our house. In 11 years, I’ll be eligible for UK state pension (think it’s £175 per week). Could I leave the cold, dark North East of England and retire somewhere warm, bright, dare I say....beautiful? It’s a big world, wrapped in a large red tape. Where overcast clouds of complexity obscure the simple dreams to wishful thinking.
yes, I do.
💛🙂
All I can suggest is that you carry on dreaming, because the likelihood of fulfilling your dream with just a state pension and £100000, is zero. Sorry, but that’s life !
Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:18 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

yes, I do.
💛🙂
Welcome to BE,
We do ask all new members to have a quick read of the forum rules, (Pale bar at the top of the page) and if you have any forum related problems please contact one of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom of each forum page..

It will really depend on WHERE you want to move to. The USA is, almost certainly, out of the question. A year ago southern Europe would have been your best bet but Brexit has thrown a huge spanner in the works, however it's not impossible, things MAY change in the next few months. The BE Wiki, again pale bar at the top, does have a lot of information regarding what is needed to move to where, and the individual countries do have forums to help. I would look at the countries you are interested in and ask the questions there.
Good luck in your hunt.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:29 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is diverse. Perhaps start there
Old Apr 6th 2021, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dfjordan View Post
All I can suggest is that you carry on dreaming, because the likelihood of fulfilling your dream with just a state pension and £100000, is zero. Sorry, but that’s life !
You obviously do not know what happiness is 🙂
Old Apr 6th 2021, 10:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Don't give up on any of your dreams, who knows what the situation will be in 11 years, Make a list of places you think would be what you want, then take a few holidays there, and look around, not as a tourist.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks mikelincs & BEVS 💛

And this is for you dfjordan💩
😄

Old Apr 6th 2021, 11:45 am
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

yes, I do.
💛🙂
At present day values you could afford to buy and live in rural Hungary (& leave a little capital over for a rainy day) - but not in luxury, by any means!

Whether your numbers & other circumstances will suffice for immigration into Hungary I have no idea.

Hard to make any judgements about how things will stand in 11 years time!

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
The UK is diverse. Perhaps start there
Tricky on those numbers!
Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...my wife and I probably have £100,000 paid off our house. In 11 years, I’ll be eligible for UK state pension (think it’s £175 per week).
Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
At present day values you could afford to buy and live in rural Hungary (& leave a little capital over for a rainy day) - but not in luxury, by any means!

Whether your numbers & other circumstances will suffice for immigration into Hungary I have no idea.

Tricky (for the UK) on those numbers!
Okay, so there's your wife's pension as well. Maybe employee pension?
Regardless of that your minimum UK income for a couple is (Pension Credit available to top to) £265.20 a week.

One bed flats are available in Margate for under £100,000. Ditto Bognor Regis so south coast is a possibility for sunshine.

Thinking outside the box...places like Panama are supposedly quite easy to retire to.

Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:30 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Okay, so there's your wife's pension as well. Maybe employee pension?
Regardless of that your minimum UK income for a couple is (Pension Credit available to top to) £265.20 a week.

One bed flats are available in Margate for under £100,000. Ditto Bognor Regis so south coast is a possibility for sunshine.

Thinking outside the box...places like Panama are supposedly quite easy to retire to.
Hmmm, Hungary definitely looking even more attractive!
Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Hmmm, Hungary definitely looking even more attractive!
No coast in Hungary
Old Apr 6th 2021, 5:27 pm
Frequently deleted!

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
No coast in Hungary
I beg to differ!

Old Apr 6th 2021, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Expatrick & BristolUK
yes, my wife would have a pension but she is 10 years younger than myself. And yes, there’s a small employee pension. (Oh, and my wife has a large employee pension)

I think my post was more a retraining of the thoughts in my mind. I’m as guilty of ‘mind-set’ as the next person. Because I always lived in Newcastle upon Tyne, I thought I’d probably die here. But, it doesn’t have to be that way. Dreams can arrange their own means.

love the Hungary coastline, Lake Balaton?
Thank you

Last edited by Popcornnn; Apr 6th 2021 at 7:04 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Panama? Interesting
Old Apr 6th 2021, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Gentle waves swish and lapp. A warm breeze plays with my hair. It’s a timeless scene, washing away the day, an endless cycle of peace. A mind awake, a world asleep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.