Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

D-Day: 75th Anniversary.

D-Day: 75th Anniversary.

Old Jun 6th 2019, 5:53 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default D-Day: 75th Anniversary.

I just thought I would like to share an article I have just read. My father was too young to be called up for WWII service and my maternal grandfather too old, beside which he had been invalided out after WWI.

Ted Cordery - HMS Belfast.

The world turns but certain of our glorious leaders seem to have learnt nothing . Nothing at all.

Old Jun 6th 2019, 5:54 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D-Day: 75th Anniversary.

D-Day Vets parachute into Normandy for the final time.

Old Jun 6th 2019, 10:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely old blokes.

My father was in WWII - North Africa, Italy and Germany but not at the D-Day landings since he was already there, so to speak.

HMS Belfast is anchored in the Thames now, as you know, and I"ve taken the Little Lion there a couple of times.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 6th 2019 at 10:51 am.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 10:20 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Lovely old blokes.

My father was in WWII - North Africa, Italy and Germany but not at the D-Day landings since he was already there, so to speak.

HMS Belfast is anchored in the Thames now, as you know, and I"ve taken the Little Lion there a couple of times.

But for two/three years my Dad would have been enlisted . He was born 1929 so was just that bit too young.

I am rather surprised that no-one else has wished to mark the day with a post of some kind.

Old Jun 6th 2019, 10:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My father had Juvenille Diabetes so couldn’t serve. My step father was too young, he was shipped off to live in a farm in Wales. Mum used to tell us stories about life in Sheffield during the Blitz.

Some of my uncles served overseas but I don’t know much about that. I remember a man at the church I went to as a child, he looked dreadful, as thin as a rake. I was told he had been a Japanese prisoner of war.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 11:52 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

Kenneth Hay reading a poem by Cyril Crain

Old Jun 8th 2019, 12:17 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

WW2 certainly touched my family. My uncle on my mother's side volunteered for the British Army, but as the was a Ford-trained mechanic he was sent off to India to train the Royal Indian Engineers.... until his death at 90 years old, India remained in his blood. My father's half-brother was in the Irish Army, but his father had been killed at Loos, so when Ireland declared neutrallity, he and some like-minded "butties" stole a truck and made off towards the border.... he didn't make it, so six months in the glasshouse (and lucky only because he was the regional welterweight boxing champ!).

My own father was a journeyman radio spark, but was made redundant when a married Englishman, avoiding conscription, was given his job. He travelled to the UK after six months on the dole and, as a skilled spark, was assigned to wire the underground factories in the stone quarries around Bath, thus starting an odd ping-pong life between Limerick and Bath for our family. He was in Bath during the Baedecker raids on the City and helped recover the victims, dead through blast or fire..... "they weren't my people", he said to explain how he could take on such a role....... he was 21 years old. As a kid, I remember the bomb sites of wrecked houses still being scars on the City - and pieces of shrapnel that had pierced the latticework of a cantilever bridge over the Avon.

My sister was born in 1942 and had a sterling silver marksman's badge given to her by one of the US serviceman billeted with my parents on his way to Normandy. I remember it well, a wreathed gothic cross with a target superimposed and the bars "Submachine Gun" and "Pistol-D". The two promised to keep in touch and left some personal things for safekeeping with my mother. She never heard from them again.......

Last edited by macliam; Jun 8th 2019 at 12:29 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 2:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Typical of the UK press only to report the 94 and 95 year old youngsters. I was in Carentan on June 5th to witness the 97 yr old american Tom White jump from a C-47 to land in the same field that he had done 75 years ago.

The next day, D-Day itself, I was in Courseuilles at the Canadian Juno Beach Centre for the ceremony there. Very nicely done and as usual a touching, well constructed speech by J. Trudeau.

Today in my French home town, we're celebrating June 8th, the date when this place was liberated by the US Airborne 101st, a part of the Utah Beach offensive.

ETA: I think this cartoon https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-d-day-cartoon is worth thinking about...It was after all the Russians who stopped Hitler first.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 8th 2019 at 2:26 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 2:59 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
ETA: I think this cartoon https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-d-day-cartoon is worth thinking about...It was after all the Russians who stopped Hitler first.
In school we were only taught the high points of the war on the eastern front; the siege of Leningrad and relief via the Lake Ladoga ice road, battle for Stalingrad and Moscow, the German retreat, scorched earth, Murmansk convoys (my Uncle Dick was there in corvettes), but practically nothing about the miracle of industrialisation they accomplished in order to fight back or the scope of the war for eastern Europe. I think more people in the west are learning about that part of history these days than when I was young.

Old Jun 8th 2019, 9:47 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
In school we were only taught the high points of the war on the eastern front; the siege of Leningrad and relief via the Lake Ladoga ice road, battle for Stalingrad and Moscow, the German retreat, scorched earth, Murmansk convoys (my Uncle Dick was there in corvettes), but practically nothing about the miracle of industrialisation they accomplished in order to fight back or the scope of the war for eastern Europe. I think more people in the west are learning about that part of history these days than when I was young.
Moons ago I holidayed with my older sister and BiL in a Gite in Normandy. We were joined by my cousin and his buddy from LA and, one day (no doubt attempting to shake off a hangover) we took a walk along one of the invasion beaches. All the talk was about how it would all have been so different 40 years before.....

Later, we joined our host to try his Calvados, a farmer born just after the war. I was reallly impressed by the fluency of my BiL as he explained about our walk along the beach, etc... "Ah yes," said our host, "So many Americans died for us...." .

Now my BiL didn't have a political bone in his body, but from nowhere he said "Yes, and so many Russians too...."

Our host shrugged in a typical Gallic way- "Ah yes, but they didn't die for US"

Here endeth the lesson.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 10:12 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The omission of the Soviets. Is even more egrarigous in the East, although perhaps understandable given the probable link with both use of nuclear weapons and Japanese surrender