Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Curse of the Expat

Curse of the Expat

Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curse of the Expat

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
Migration means the loss of homeland. Some people never accept this and - even after many years - go back looking for what they lost. Of course the homeland is not the same. The experience can be unsettling and there are certainly mental health "issues" tied up with this !

Maybe our ancestors were luckier. Thjey rarely had the choice of gvoing back - unless they were like Magwitch !

(for those unfamiliar with Eng.Lit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel_Magwitch)
I never once considered that I lost my homeland when I went to Australia by myself in 1960. Alone I travelled by train to London, boarded a ship at Tilbury, and sailed away without anyone waving goodbye. Two years later I was back in England, and a year later back in Australia. My parents and a sister and her family followed me two years later.

Since then I made many trips back for 3 months up to a year, but I didn't have it in my mind that England was better than Australia. Nevertheless for various reasons I returned here to live 14 months ago, unfortunately since Easter last year I have suffered lung ailments one after the other, so my new life "back home" has been badly soured. I must wonder if the Adelaide climate was better for me, but bouncing back there is now not an option.

It has also been difficult for me to come to terms with so many places in England looking run down, is there no pride, or is there no money? People constantly ask me why I left Australia, most having never lived away, but from friends and relatives living in Australia, they have the impression that it is paradise. Does paradise exist?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

More prosperous ? I was struck by the contrast between "Public squalor and private affluence" (J K Galbraith). And by the obviously growing gap between haves and have-nots, between prosperous areas and areas blighted by poverty.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries View Post
I never once considered that I lost my homeland when I went to Australia by myself in 1960. Alone I travelled by train to London, boarded a ship at Tilbury, and sailed away without anyone waving goodbye. Two years later I was back in England, and a year later back in Australia. My parents and a sister and her family followed me two years later.

Since then I made many trips back for 3 months up to a year, but I didn't have it in my mind that England was better than Australia. Nevertheless for various reasons I returned here to live 14 months ago, unfortunately since Easter last year I have suffered lung ailments one after the other, so my new life "back home" has been badly soured. I must wonder if the Adelaide climate was better for me, but bouncing back there is now not an option.

It has also been difficult for me to come to terms with so many places in England looking run down, is there no pride, or is there no money? People constantly ask me why I left Australia, most having never lived away, but from friends and relatives living in Australia, they have the impression that it is paradise. Does paradise exist?
Sorry to hear about you ailments hope they clear up soon. We are going through a recession here in the UK/Europe, its not about not having pride, in 99% of the cases its about areas being run down because of the lack of Money, we travelled to Torquay for a few days last Feb and was sad to see a lot of the shops etc closed, its life and the situation at the moment, things will turn around again all be it a bit slower than people had originally thought but then other places are still doing very well and do not look at all sad. I think if were not feeling good etc about our lives we do tend to blame the country/area etc its easier but we should also be thinking what can I do to change my situation for the better. I had far more colds and other ailments in Aus than I have ever had here in the U.K but I would not think it was just because of the country it was more likely how I lived, what I ate, the area I lived etc. Good luck and hope that your feeling better soon. An older person told me once that Paradise exists only is inside you....a bit deep at the time I thought but does ring true the older I have got.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorry1 View Post
Hello,
You shouldn't have to justify to anyone why you left OZ. You left because you wanted to...simple.
Not worth arguing about. These people have never lived in another Country, they just hear stories from their relatives. Let them dream if they want to. You lived it for a while but it didn't work out.
You came back to England because you could. End of
I agree with most everything you said, except it did not work out, you can move back to your home country just because you miss it and want to move why does everyone associate moving back to your home country a failure in your new country????
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
We are going through a recession here in the UK/Europe, its not about not having pride, in 99% of the cases its about areas being run down because of the lack of Money, we travelled to Torquay for a few days last Feb and was sad to see a lot of the shops etc closed, its life and the situation at the moment, things will turn around again all be it a bit slower than people had originally thought but then other places are still doing very well and do not look at all sad. I think if were not feeling good etc about our lives we do tend to blame the country/area etc its easier but we should also be thinking what can I do to change my situation for the better. .
We did a bit of traveling when we were in the UK at Christmas time and the thing I noticed most was not towns being run down but the trash! it was everywhere....I am not saying there is no trash on the roadside here in the US but I was appalled at all the roadside trash we saw on this trip...It did not make me change my mind about moving but I was sad to see it all the less. It does not take money to have pride in your Country, respect for the environment and to dispose of your trash appropriately.

Originally Posted by chris955 View Post
That is exactly right, it MUST be better in another country. They have never even been to Australia but will tell you what a great place it is to live.
OMG so true! When we were home(UK) for Christmas our Nephew's girlfriend kept telling us what it is like to live in the US and how things are done there, she has never set foot on US soil but she knows it all, I was born in the US and lived there most of my life so I think I know "how" things are here.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo View Post
We did a bit of traveling when we were in the UK at Christmas time and the thing I noticed most was not towns being run down but the trash! it was everywhere....I am not saying there is no trash on the roadside here in the US but I was appalled at all the roadside trash we saw on this trip...It did not make me change my mind about moving but I was sad to see it all the less. It does not take money to have pride in your Country, respect for the environment and to dispose of your trash appropriately.

OMG so true! When we were home(UK) for Christmas our Nephew's girlfriend kept telling us what it is like to live in the US and how things are done there, she has never set foot on US soil but she knows it all, I was born in the US and lived there most of my life so I think I know "how" things are here.
It all depends where you live, our nearest High Street is very clean and well looked after, it might be different in other Towns/Cities but is that not the same in most Countries? surely Tennesse has some areas that are not so great and have also have this problem, would you think of these areas with the same frame of mind as you did while in the U.K?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:55 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends where you live, our nearest High Street is very clean and well looked after, it might be different in other Towns/Cities but is that not the same in most Countries? surely Tennesse has some areas that are not so great and have also have this problem, would you think of these areas with the same frame of mind as you did while in the U.K?
Yes I totally agree, you certainly dont see much rubbish around here or in the big towns around here. We noticed more when we went up north to be honest but again it wasnt much. There were areas where rubbish in the streets was an issue in Australia as well but generally just like here it is very clean.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Having ridden almost every square mile of the middle third of Tennessee, I can tell you absolutely, you find all sorts of trash on the roadside, especially out in the countryside.

And the litter is pretty bad, too.

(You have to be a redneck to get it).
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Here in MS, its very trashy! When I showed friends etc my photos that I took in Scotland they commented on how clean the streets etc were. It just depends on where you live.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955 View Post
Yes I totally agree, you certainly dont see much rubbish around here or in the big towns around here. We noticed more when we went up north to be honest but again it wasnt much. There were areas where rubbish in the streets was an issue in Australia as well but generally just like here it is very clean.
I was always amazed to see empty beer bottles near traffic lights and use to wonder how they got there then one Friday afternoon I was behind a Ute which had stopped at some lights, a couple of guys were sitting in the back drinking away when two of them threw their beer bottles on to the side of the road, empty of course lol, I had never seen anything like that before and then lol the driver did the same thing, at least I knew how the bottle got there though.