Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Curse of the Expat

Curse of the Expat

Old Dec 31st 2012, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curse of the Expat

Why do "Reality Shows" have nothing to do with Reality ?
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:01 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Because reality would be too boring to watch on TV.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

So they are,in fact, Unreality TV ?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

VinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really niceVinoVeritas is just really nice

When we were shaping up to leave Brisbane after 7 years and come back to the UK,the reaction from my Aus friends and family was 'Why would you want to leave, I mean England's full of Poms (yes, one actually said that!), and you know, Queensland's Beautiful one day, perfect the next!'

I get a bit annoyed seeing the Wanted Down Under shows which seem to be putting out the message that life in Aus is just lovely and perfect - I sometimes wonder if that show is sponsored by the Aus Tourism Board. I'd like to see them re-visit the people who move out there a year or so later - that'd be interesting.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

TV is quite clearly Satanic in origin.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Karlo will become famous soon enough

After contributing to Ex-pat threads praising your new found life style abroad, as we all have when we make the move, I think Isleofmanmike has it just about right . Although we are not thousands of miles away across the globe as some of the other forum posters, we are just hours away over in France. Reading their stories of wanting to return back to the UK brings tears to your eyes, reason being I think I am homesick.
Circumstances have affected us , when we arrived 10 years ago we were welcomed as new friends , or so you thought , but you will never be accepted by the locals. Then some unforeseen incident can happen which finally decides it for you, making you think about returning back home.
Wherever you go in the world, we are even thinking about going over the border to live in Germany ........ England will always be my home, its where I will naturally end up returning to . If I have to justify my return as I have read so many members on this forum have had to , I will tell them that at least I had the balls to do it.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlo View Post
After contributing to Ex-pat threads praising your new found life style abroad, as we all have when we make the move, I think Isleofmanmike has it just about right . Although we are not thousands of miles away across the globe as some of the other forum posters, we are just hours away over in France. Reading their stories of wanting to return back to the UK brings tears to your eyes, reason being I think I am homesick.
Circumstances have affected us , when we arrived 10 years ago we were welcomed as new friends , or so you thought , but you will never be accepted by the locals. Then some unforeseen incident can happen which finally decides it for you, making you think about returning back home.
Wherever you go in the world, we are even thinking about going over the border to live in Germany ........ England will always be my home, its where I will naturally end up returning to . If I have to justify my return as I have read so many members on this forum have had to , I will tell them that at least I had the balls to do it.
Spot on!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird View Post
I hate reality shows but Strictly is my one exception. I love it.
I hardly watch tv but I love Strictly, started watching it by accident in Perth just before we left, I did not recognise any of the "celebs" so only watched a few....now I am afraid I record it if I am out etc...I feel a right saddo lol as I use to think people were sad for doing just that.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty View Post
I'm prepared for this, saw my parents go through it with friends and family when they returned to the UK from Oz in the 80's! Going somewhere on holiday is so different from actually living there and people just don't understand unless you have been through it like so many people on this forum. I think a lot of people who immigrate, myself included, go through stages as follows!

1. Hate UK want to leave.
2. Want to live in Oz and prepared to immigrate.
3. All excited, can't wait to start new life!
4. Euphoria, love the sunshine/beaches - this is the life!
5. Reality sets in, still have to work but life is good.
6. First holiday back to UK ,all is great, nice to see everyone but missing Oz.
7. Few years in, start to get fed up, missing family, don't belong.
8. Second holiday back to UK, this time don't want to leave
9. In turmoil, should I stay or go? Weigh up pros/cons - torture!
10. Find British Expats - phew! I'm not alone or going mad!!!!
11. Make decision to leave.
12. Realise the UK is actually a great place to live after all - hurrah!

I'm not dissing Australia, I have had a great time here, its a beautiful country but the UK has so much to offer as well, I had to go away to realise just what I did have - right under my nose! People get stuck in a rut and think all their problems would disappear if they moved to another country but life just isn't that simple! I'm at stage 11 atm, 6 months and I'll be home
Ditto lol all except for the Beautiful (I am all for rolling hills,green fields, sheep,cows as you drive by even on a motorway, old buildings etc) ...but then again we all see things differently.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Karlo will become famous soon enough

To add further to the Miss Betty list ......No 10 Find British Expats ! , I wonder does she mean this britishexpats.com forum , or does she mean she searches out British expats where she lives.
I came over to my new country with the intention of having nothing to do with expat Brits, let alone seeking them out, only wanting to mix with the local population.
This for a while is fine, you can feel accepted but it can be very difficult, I do not seem to have problems as I can offer them something in the way of my guitar playing, which gets you into circles of extremely nice local people. Also I am an Artist/Illustrator who will readily exhibit , do street demonstrations which renders you extremely useful to the local town when they need you.
My wife on the other hand is the most kindly easy going woman I know, but finds it damn difficult to make any friendship with the locals, especially the woman. Hence this is why British Expats are now our only true friends here, she is not happy here, I am not a selfish person, I brought he here , if she would like to leave.....so be it

Last edited by Karlo; Jan 30th 2013 at 5:50 pm. Reason: to add further words
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

kevin04 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think we can slag off people who have no interest in our stories of living or traveling abroad. I've done a bit of traveling around Europe and North America mostly, and although many folk were interested and asked questions, many were not.

If anything, I think hearing ''Well, when I was in Botswana..'' sounds more self-indulgent than someone who has no interest in your travel stories.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 11:52 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
Ditto lol all except for the Beautiful (I am all for rolling hills,green fields, sheep,cows as you drive by even on a motorway, old buildings etc) ...but then again we all see things differently.
Lol! I'd forgotten about this one I do find Australia beautiful in so many ways BUT give me the woods behind my parents house filled with bluebells, driving home from night duty seeing the horses in misty fields and the tree lined lane near my parents village in the winter when it snows - to me that's real beauty. All the trees have grown over and meet in the middle so its like an sparkling magical ice tunnel, always makes me think of Narnia! I wanted to leave last year but financially was unable to so have worked my butt off for the past few months and now I have bought my one way ticket, 4 months today and I'm on that plane!!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Jan 31st 2013 at 12:46 pm. Reason: Spelling!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:10 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlo View Post
To add further to the Miss Betty list ......No 10 Find British Expats ! , I wonder does she mean this britishexpats.com forum , or does she mean she searches out British expats where she lives.
I came over to my new country with the intention of having nothing to do with expat Brits, let alone seeking them out, only wanting to mix with the local population.
This for a while is fine, you can feel accepted but it can be very difficult, I do not seem to have problems as I can offer them something in the way of my guitar playing, which gets you into circles of extremely nice local people. Also I am an Artist/Illustrator who will readily exhibit , do street demonstrations which renders you extremely useful to the local town when they need you.
My wife on the other hand is the most kindly easy going woman I know, but finds it damn difficult to make any friendship with the locals, especially the woman. Hence this is why British Expats are now our only true friends here, she is not happy here, I am not a selfish person, I brought he here , if she would like to leave.....so be it
I meant find this forum! I grew up in Australia so I am not a total 'stranger in a strange land' but it did take me a while to make local friends here. For a long time most of my friends were Poms or Saffas, not a conscious choice, it just happened that way really as we were all immigrants and had a common bond. I just didn't find most Aussies overly friendly at first, despite my best efforts, they already had their lives/family/friends in place and weren't really interested in making new friends. However I now do have a number of close Aussie friends who I think the world of and will really miss! It just took time that's all and I learnt to avoid the whole 'back home we .......' kind of conversations cos it really annoys them lol!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Migration means the loss of homeland. Some people never accept this and - even after many years - go back looking for what they lost. Of course the homeland is not the same. The experience can be unsettling and there are certainly mental health "issues" tied up with this !

Maybe our ancestors were luckier. Thjey rarely had the choice of gvoing back - unless they were like Magwitch !

(for those unfamiliar with Eng.Lit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel_Magwitch)

Last edited by scot47; Jan 31st 2013 at 3:24 pm. Reason: tyop agian !!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 9:30 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
Migration means the loss of homeland. Some people never accept this and - even after many years - go back looking for what they lost. Of course the homeland is not the same.
I found it pretty much the same. Other than the fact it's more prosperous and a little more worldly than it was in the 80s. And I certainly don't feel I've lost my homeland - I feel I've been welcomed back with a big, warm hug.

I suspect that what changes is the individual and their reactions to their homeland. Going away made me appreciate England far more than I ever did before. For some the opposite happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.