Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Curse of the Expat

Curse of the Expat

Old Dec 22nd 2012, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curse of the Expat

After returning to live permanently in SCO in Summer 2011 I find many things odd. Few people have much understanding of my working life spent in Africa, Europe and the Middle East wher I was a teacher. Many have very negative views of their native Scotland, (English "settlers" tend to be more positive !)

For many the ideal vacation is the "Redneck Riviera" in Florida ! And so many are totally tied up with all that Mega-nonsense on TV (Come Dancing, X Factor, Cooking and Real Esatte Programmes)
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 8:04 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have found the Scots to be quite negative in their outlook to be honest, they seem able to put a negative spin on the most positive news
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure that it is reasonable to generalise so much.. Can we talk about "The Scots......" ?
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Not "the Scots" I know.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are a diverse bunch. So no easy generalisations please !!
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 10:19 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
We are a diverse bunch. So no easy generalisations please !!
Be fair, you have made some pretty broad generalisations in some of your own posts!
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: Curse of the Expat

Me ? Hoist by my own petard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 28th 2012, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another thing I find a bit hard is that no one is the least bit interested in my experiences or travels. It is as if they cannot relate to anything outside their personal sphere. If it is on the "X Factor" or "Strictly Come Dancing" they can discuss it.

Ask them about the big bad outside world and they switch off immediately.

And I am sure that I am not a Saloon Bar Bore, raving on about,"When I was in Poona......."

Did we really build that Empire and run a quarter of the world ?
Old Dec 29th 2012, 1:04 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing I find a bit hard is that no one is the least bit interested in my experiences or travels. It is as if they cannot relate to anything outside their personal sphere. If it is on the "X Factor" or "Strictly Come Dancing" they can discuss it.

Ask them about the big bad outside world and they switch off immediately.

And I am sure that I am not a Saloon Bar Bore, raving on about,"When I was in Poona......."

Did we really build that Empire and run a quarter of the world ?
Sounds like a lot of Aussies I know!

Was talking to a guy yesterday who was back in Brisbane on holiday from the Uk where he's been working for the last 4 years. Turns out he's working in a bit of London I know well, he also spends time in Bath and Brighton, two of my favourite places. After we'd been chatting for only 5 minutes one of my colleagues who had already spent 25 monutes chatting with him interrupted with "well that's not very interesting is it, lets talk about how good you must feel being back here"
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:35 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't found people here in England to be ignorant of the outside world - they travel far more than the American friends I left behind - but I do find that they're not particularly interested in my life away. It doesn't bother me - I just figure why should they care. It was my life and it was my choice to live it apart from them. Now that I'm back, we can work on building shared interests.

Some of them watch rubbish on TV, but so what? As long as they don't want me to watch "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here," I'm fine.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't want to stop them watching K R A P on TV. I just don't want to hear about it !
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:51 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Be fair, you have made some pretty broad generalisations in some of your own posts!
I was thinking the exact same thing Polly
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sallysimmons View Post
I haven't found people here in England to be ignorant of the outside world - they travel far more than the American friends I left behind - but I do find that they're not particularly interested in my life away. It doesn't bother me - I just figure why should they care. It was my life and it was my choice to live it apart from them. Now that I'm back, we can work on building shared interests.
Same here, we have found many people here to be very worldly wise and as you say much moreso than Americans in particular. Most people in the village when we get talking are interested in where I am from and things we have done.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 2:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to stop them watching K R A P on TV. I just don't want to hear about it !
I think Strictly is an enjoyable, optimistic, fun show. It brings together people who excel in their own field and puts them outside their comfort zone by doing something they aren't so good at. In that sense, I think it isn't shallow dross like some of the rubbish on TV (EastEnders does my head in - constant shouting and meanness!. I do wonder how anyone could watch that every day.)

Some of the follow-up stuff to Strictly (the daily updates, etc.) are a bit OTT and camp, but harmless.

I suppose everyone has different tastes. I agree with you, I couldn't converse with anyone who just wanted to talk about EastEnders, but then no-one I know falls into that category.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
I think Strictly is an enjoyable, optimistic, fun show. It brings together people who excel in their own field and puts them outside their comfort zone by doing something they aren't so good at. In that sense, I think it isn't shallow dross like some of the rubbish on TV (EastEnders does my head in - constant shouting and meanness!. I do wonder how anyone could watch that every day.)

Some of the follow-up stuff to Strictly (the daily updates, etc.) are a bit OTT and camp, but harmless.

I suppose everyone has different tastes. I agree with you, I couldn't converse with anyone who just wanted to talk about EastEnders, but then no-one I know falls into that category.
I hate reality shows but Strictly is my one exception. I love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.