Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Cures for Homesickness

Cures for Homesickness

Old Dec 5th 2009, 1:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cures for Homesickness

Originally Posted by Englishtart View Post
Get the other two 'little pigs' to help you build one out of bricks!
Bricks? Bricks?? The only way to get a load of decent bricks in this country would be to get them mail-order from the LBC. And the shipping charges are murder.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
St John's Wort. Things that help me feel closer to home eg BE, UK TV programs etc..
agreed and what Sally said.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:59 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I went home. That turned out to be a pile of poo so I moved back here. Now I just chuck some Talksport on, or watch episodes of QI and Mock The Week on Youtube. Seems to stave off the feelings. And I've admitted that I might not go back ever again now too. I'm not glued to the footy, not reading the BBC 50 times a day, and not keeping up with British culture. Biggest thing is to make some food (have a scotch egg - it works wonders) and live where you are.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

i generally go out and do something to enjoy here, you know enjoy the sun or listen to the crickets, but if i do need to brit it for 1/2 hour an episode of rick steins food heroes works well.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britvic View Post
agreed and what Sally said.
The Battle of Rorke's Drift may be going on out there but it's good to know tea will be served at 3.00PM.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Bricks? Bricks?? The only way to get a load of decent bricks in this country would be to get them mail-order from the LBC. And the shipping charges are murder.
Well there is that,
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

ldobson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Precisely the problem we have in the DC area. There are several places to get a good beer - the short time they have it on tap - but it makes it very difficult to plan an evening session, book a taxi home, etc. when you can never be sure the beer will in fact be there unless you find a friendly barman who keeps an email list for his customers. The place I mentioned in Baltimore is an outlet for an English style brewery, but even there it can be hit and miss if they have their best bitter available if its after an Orioles game.
Where is this place in Baltimore? Might be worth trying considering I work a couple miles out of the city.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 10:55 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chugabug View Post
Having lived here 10 years or so I never thought that I would still get periods of homesickness by this time. When I think back to the first couple of years I had some real roller coaster moments. I know being typical Brits we probably make a little corner of the UK for ourselves wherever we go, but I wondered what gets YOU through the real fish out of water days? I usually shut myself in a room with Radio 2 and a cup of tea.
Three bottles of Scoresby, all ten volumes of "Tied-up Tealadies", two rolls of kitchen towels and a really big bottle of Jergens.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:18 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
You're probably still in the honeymoon period. Don't worry, it'll come...
hehehehheheheheh ......
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:57 am
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

well I've been here for almost a month now and for the most part I'm settling in fine, I've had a couple of pangs of homesickness tho (well actually more missing people than anything else), but I find that keeping myself busy helps, I've been accepting every social invitation that comes my way- even if I know it's not really my thing, just to keep myself busy. Work pretty much takes up most of my time these days (what happened to those 37hr weeks lol!?)

It's early days for me yet and I still have christmas to get thru, but for the most part I'm enjoying my new surroundings, and excited about what the future will bring.....I am however having cider and kebab withdrawls tho lol
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold

(what happened to those 37hr weeks lol!?)

Yes, and that 4 week vacation time plus Bank Hols. Stop working so hard Americans please?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:09 am
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

lol, to my horror I discovered that I'm not entitled to any vacation time until after my first year...what's that all about?!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:31 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meryl View Post
lol, to my horror I discovered that I'm not entitled to any vacation time until after my first year...what's that all about?!
You need to stop off at WalMart and pick up some Vaseline. That's what it's about.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meryl View Post
Italy 42 days
France 37 days
Germany 35 days
Brazil 34 days
United Kingdom 28 days
Canada 26 days
Korea 25 days
Japan 25 days
U.S. 13 days

Average vacation time around the world. I'm off to Italy.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chugabug View Post
(what happened to those 37hr weeks lol!?)

Yes, and that 4 week vacation time plus Bank Hols. Stop working so hard Americans please?
Holy cow 4 weeks I wish.
Dh is on year 4 at this job and still at 2 weeks (not really 2 weeks as it's 10 days plus days off), plus bank hols.
Next year he goes up to 3 weeks, whoop de doo
I never got the having to work a whole year at a job before you get any holidays either. After 6 months tops I'd need a week off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.