Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

COVID19 - SYMPTOMS/DIAGNOSIS ONLY

COVID19 - SYMPTOMS/DIAGNOSIS ONLY

Old Mar 29th 2020, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID19 - SYMPTOMS/DIAGNOSIS ONLY

Nearly 11am in AZ. Steerpike...Hope you are OK.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 5:43 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
As mentioned earlier, I had a slight 'throat' issue starting last Monday; can't even call it a 'sore throat', just a 'froggy throat' (that's an expression from my childhood, not sure if it's mainstream - basically, it feels like there is 'stuff' in my throat and I feel the desire to 'cough it out'; I guess that's 'congestion', but not nasal congestion). Yesterday it seemed a bit worse, and last night I felt like I was on the verge of having a bad cough ... like there was a 'tickle' there, but I kept sipping water and that kept it at bay (never actually coughed, at all). Today I woke up the same - I feel as though I'm on the verge of a cough, but it won't quite develop. When I talked into my (cable TV) remote last night, and said 'Netflix', my voice was totally broken up! Anyway its been almost a week since I first felt odd, and the only development is this throat thing, so it's not )exactly changing fast. But there's 'something there'. Temperature still really low (~98).

I'm wondering what is best for an 'itchy throat' - some kind of 'throat lozenge' I presume. Ricola, Halls, Cepacol ... ? Has there been a run on such things?

Edit to add ... we're in full-on allergy season here, and this year for the first time I'm 'ahead of the curve' - I've been using flonase every day and I think that's been keeping me from the usual dreadful sneezing / runny nose phase. So this weird throat thing may just be 'what is left' from allergies after flonase does it's thing ...
Have you tried any of the allergy pills as well as using flonase? I always have Xyzal or the drug store generic equivalent on hand. Our allergies have been bad for the last month but then we have been outside a lot. I also notice they seem worse when we go back inside in the evenings, with the raspy voice and itchy cough and sore throat thing going on.

Old Mar 29th 2020, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Nearly 11am in AZ. Steerpike...Hope you are OK.
Based on prior experience (replying to posts before reading all existing posts) I've been reading through a few threads first I'm good thanks!

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Have you tried any of the allergy pills as well as using flonase? I always have Xyzal or the drug store generic equivalent on hand. Our allergies have been bad for the last month but then we have been outside a lot. I also notice they seem worse when we go back inside in the evenings, with the raspy voice and itchy cough and sore throat thing going on.
The only other drug I've ever used is 'Benadryl' - which has the generic form "Diphenhydramine Hcl" apparently. It did seem to work last time I tried it. I tend to avoid any drugs if possible (not always sensibly). My current physical feeling is not at all bad, so I don't feel the need to attack it too hard. The only concern is, I'm not quite familiar with this particular feeling and that's the concern. My radar is being set off because of 'differences' - something my scientific, nerdy, analytical brain latches onto. Sounds like Xyzal is something worth trying - generic = Levocetirizine. Next time I'm out foraging for supplies, I'll see if I can pick some up.

Anyway - yesterday I felt great, did my usual 5 mile walk, went to bed 'early', and slept 'ok' (which is the best I can ever hope for these days, for whatever reason, nothing to do with C-19). My g/f shared with me that the brother of her good friend just died from C-19 complications; aged 76. She also has 3 other friends who are likely sufferers (1 confirmed, 2 speculative). Unlike me, she has a huge worldwide virtual circle of friends via her university sorority. I'm concerned she's going to get depressed soon, but as of now, she's still 'preferring' that I stay away (I think she doesn't trust me to follow her extremely strict germophobic practices).
Old Apr 6th 2020, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I do wonder about this thing I have.

Started early last week, a tickle in the throat and then later in the night on Tuesday began having a cough which progressed into the weekend and now today is more frequent than its ever been.
My body aches, especially around the joints, typing makes my arms hurt even, and I am very tired, not sleepy, just worn out tired like i just worked 12 hours.
No fever though, a slight runny nose off and on sometimes.
throat isn't sore like a traditional sore throat, but the coughing it making it more sore.
As long as I sit and do nothing, breathing is fine, as soon as I start moving around, a bit short of breath
Feeling in lungs/chest and deep breaths cause pain into my back.
Headache that tylenol does nothing for since Saturday.

Allergy medications haven't done anything, so I am not so sure about it being allergies. Who knows, so far its not enough to make a trip to hospital and my doctor says as long as there is no crazy high fever and I can breathe okay at rest, to just rest at home.

But does get you thinking these days, is it something minor and is it something not so minor, its been 7 days, each day is a tiny bit worse cough wise, but its not gotten crazy bad or anything, but clearly sick with something.

Old Apr 7th 2020, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post

Started early last week, a tickle in the throat and then later in the night on Tuesday began having a cough which progressed into the weekend and now today is more frequent than its ever been.
My body aches, especially around the joints, typing makes my arms hurt even, and I am very tired, not sleepy, just worn out tired like i just worked 12 hours.
throat isn't sore like a traditional sore throat, but the coughing it making it more sore.
As long as I sit and do nothing, breathing is fine, as soon as I start moving around, a bit short of breath

Allergy medications haven't done anything, so I am not so sure about it being allergies. Who knows, so far its not enough to make a trip to hospital and my doctor says as long as there is no crazy high fever and I can breathe okay at rest, to just rest at home.

But does get you thinking these days, is it something minor and is it something not so minor, its been 7 days, each day is a tiny bit worse cough wise, but its not gotten crazy bad or anything, but clearly sick with something.
Hang in there and hope for the best. Sounds like you are already in touch with your doc. They do say, 'shortness of breath' is the thing to watch for, so keep an eye on that. Do you have a thermometer?
Old Apr 7th 2020, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Hang in there and hope for the best. Sounds like you are already in touch with your doc. They do say, 'shortness of breath' is the thing to watch for, so keep an eye on that. Do you have a thermometer?
Yes I do have a thermometer, currently no fever but I did have a slight one when I woke up at 3am, 100.1 but now back to normal it seems, but my body feels like a semi truck ran it over, never been so sore in my life, and I have done nothing physical enough to make it this sore.

I ended up sleeping basically from 5pm something to 9:45am this morning only getting up a couple times for the bathroom and water.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I do have a thermometer, currently no fever but I did have a slight one when I woke up at 3am, 100.1 but now back to normal it seems, but my body feels like a semi truck ran it over, never been so sore in my life, and I have done nothing physical enough to make it this sore.

I ended up sleeping basically from 5pm something to 9:45am this morning only getting up a couple times for the bathroom and water.
Well done on the long sleep, and good to hear the temp is lower.

Question for those with more experience than me - when one 'has a fever', is the body temperature pretty consistently high tor days on end, regardless of how you feel, or does the body temp rise and fall wildly along with the symptoms? When, for example, you shiver uncontrollably, is your body actually 'cold' (colder than the normal 98F) or are you still running a high body temp despite feeling cold?
Old Apr 8th 2020, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well done on the long sleep, and good to hear the temp is lower.

Question for those with more experience than me - when one 'has a fever', is the body temperature pretty consistently high tor days on end, regardless of how you feel, or does the body temp rise and fall wildly along with the symptoms? When, for example, you shiver uncontrollably, is your body actually 'cold' (colder than the normal 98F) or are you still running a high body temp despite feeling cold?
This article explains a bit why we are cold and shiver with a fever.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-hum...-have-a-fever/

Easy run down, immune system sometimes needs help, notifies the brain hey we need help, brain says alright I will raise the thermostat, up the thermostat goes, but now our 98.6 is below what our internal thermostat is set at, so we feel cold and shiver so our body temp rises to where the thermostat is set, so we really are cold when a fever sets in, and then I guess that explains why with a fever you go through hot and cold cycles.

In the past with flu's I have had fevers last for a couple days, and times only a few hours, the highest I can recall ever having as an adult was 103 when I was in hospital with a severe bacteria infection on the verge of septic shock, I don't have limited memory though as I was too ill to really notice what was going on around me.

I do remember when they started an IV it felt like ice being shot into my veins.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Apr 8th 2020 at 12:11 am.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 12:55 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Keep an eye on it Mr. Smith. The aches certainly sound like fever - flu does that. As I understand it, the thing to watch out for is any worsening of the shortness of breath. If that happens, don't delay but get yourself to the hospital pronto, muchacho.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

how are you feeling now J...have the symptoms gone?
Old Jul 30th 2020, 4:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think there have been a couple of posts that could have gone here so I'm resurrecting it.

SD went for a test this morning. She's been back at her retail job for however many weeks, having to say 'no' to every question on a form daily and having temperature taken on arrival. If temp a little high they do it again a bit after.
Last week they dropped the forms but still asked at the door upon entry.
She happened to cough on the way in yesterday, by no means unusual as she has an occasional, recurring cough and it's not of the covid type and they sent her home with instructions to call the special number. Can't blame them I suppose although it seems far more risky allowing a high temperature person in pending a second check.

The nurse on the special number arranged a test for this morning so now she's just waiting for the result, following instructions to self monitor, only one potential symptom as opposed to self isolating for two or more.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 30th 2020 at 4:14 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 4:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I think there have been a couple of posts that could have gone here so I'm resurrecting it.

SD went for a test this morning. She's been back at her retail job for however many weeks, having to say 'no' to every question on a form daily and having temperature taken on arrival. If temp a little high they do it again a bit after.
She happened to cough on the way in yesterday, by no means unusual as she has an occasional, recurring cough and it's not of the covid type and they sent her home with instructions to call the special number. Can't blame them I suppose although it seems far more risky allowing a high temperature person in pending a second check.

The nurse on the special number arranged a test for this morning so now she's just waiting for the result, following instructions to self monitor, only one potential symptom as opposed to self isolating for two or more.

Best of luck to her.

There's not much else people at a door can do I suppose - they can't really be asked to guage severity/type/significance of symptoms, just whether one appears to be present or not.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

Fingers crossed.

Our son went through this last month. A dry cough that suddenly appeared so he went online and booked a test, same day, results came through by text next day. Negative in his case.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 4:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Best of luck to her.

There's not much else people at a door can do I suppose ....
Yep.

Not worried though. The province has seen no new cases for the last 9 days (today coming later) and only 2 or 3 in about a month before that. Always travel related. We only have three current cases right now.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 12:48 am
Oscar nominated

Negative as expected but according to general notes on the testing site, return to work not advised until the symptom goes.

She'll have to practice not coughing upon entry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.