Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Bruges - getting like Disneyland

Bruges - getting like Disneyland

Old Jun 16th 2019, 11:47 am
Ride a White Swan

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bruges - getting like Disneyland

Bruges pulls up drawbridge on tourists
“We want the people who stay in our hotels, who go to restaurants, who buy something in the shops, but we will not promote for those tourists who just come a few hours to Bruges,” De fauw added.
I know what he means. I've visited 2 or 3 times but they've always been on the way back to England from tour holidays to Switzerland/Austria and Czech Republic.

The tour reps/drivers have this thing going where they take orders for chocolates, drop you off at the coach park and pick you up 3 or 4 hours later and you get your lovely chocs.

That leaves you to walk over a small bridge (If I remember) have a wander and gaze at the lovely buildings and stop for a coffee and one of those nice little biscuits (I forget the name) in the square and not much else. It's just a little bonus tacked on at the end of your holiday to somewhere else.

One time I was there late enough in the year and there was a Christmas Market already open, so money was also lavished on a sausage and a Glühwein.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 12:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bruges - getting like Disneyland

I was there about 4 years ago and it was with a tour group. It was part of our landed tour of Belgium, France, Amsterdam. It was somewhat as you said, although we were there for nearly 7 hours. Our tour operator took us around the town, talked about its history, etc. At the square we were 'let loose' for 4 hours and did our shopping, eating, etc. When we met up again we did a full tour of the brewery, the best part of which was the sampling afterwards of the various brews with nibbles. One of the towns I enjoyed and would love to go back to in the future.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 16th 2019 at 12:55 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 2:25 pm
Ride a White Swan

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
One of the towns I enjoyed and would love to go back to in the future.

Excellent point. Perhaps they should consider the repeat visits that may materialise after a taster. I've had two separate stays in Nice based on a taster visit made when camping at Biot, near Antibes and the same for a week in Paris thanks to a brief visit there previously.

Old Jun 16th 2019, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post

Excellent point. Perhaps they should consider the repeat visits that may materialise after a taster. I've had two separate stays in Nice based on a taster visit made when camping at Biot, near Antibes and the same for a week in Paris thanks to a brief visit there previously.
I too have memorable visits to Biot (Fernand Leger Art museum, the glass works etc) and Antibes (local market, fabulous coastline, great seafood restaurants). Exceedingly crowded in July & Aug though......
Old Jun 16th 2019, 6:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rondee79 View Post
Sadly that is what happens when you make a film about a place, try going to koh phi phi in Thailand now after the film the beach.
Covfefe! Trump has ruined the place now.

Old Jun 16th 2019, 9:44 pm
Ride a White Swan

Sadly that is what happens when you make a film about a place
If that's a reference to In Bruges, mentioned in the article, that excellent movie was 2008.

The visitors for only a few hours goes back way before that.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:30 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If that's a reference to In Bruges, mentioned in the article, that excellent movie was 2008.

The visitors for only a few hours goes back way before that.
Fantastic film, must give it a re-watch.....
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:35 am
Ride a White Swan

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Fantastic film, must give it a re-watch.....
Seven Psychopaths with Colin Farrell is similarly off-beat and very good too.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 4:15 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Seven Psychopaths with Colin Farrell is similarly off-beat and very good too.
I'll look out for it