Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Old Nov 19th 2020, 2:30 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Broken bodies and bio mechanics

I have a question for anyone that has had skin cancer removed. Has anyone had Mohs surgery and if so how was it?

Last week M had some skin blemishes removed on his head and two biopsies from the top of his ear and from below his ear lobe (on his face). The Dermatologist called today to say they were squamous cell carcinomas and he has to have Mohs surgery next week to remove a bigger and deeper area.

I know that once they get it all it should be ok but I'm concerned about how much they will remove from from the top of his ear!
Mohs surgery is removed layer by layer and it is checked for cells after each layer is removed. They told us it could take up to 4 hours and one area will be done next Tuesday and one the following week. He is not very happy about it.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 3:12 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I have had Mohs twice and DH three times. We lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida when I first came here, DH is from Florida, and I got sunburned many times at the beach! I had squamous cell in my laugh line of cheek, and also on my lip. DH has had two on the top of his head, and one on his nose. Squamous cell.

I came out okay. I had to have plastic surgery on my lip, but you can’t really see it. The one in the laugh line can’t be seen either (lucky). DH is okay. Nose was quite a large area, and there is a dent in his nose, but as we are older, it does not bother him. If he was female, he probably would have had a little plastic surgery to correct it. It’s nothing to worry about really.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 3:24 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
I have had Mohs twice and DH three times. We lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida when I first came here, DH is from Florida, and I got sunburned many times at the beach! I had squamous cell in my laugh line of cheek, and also on my lip. DH has had two on the top of his head, and one on his nose. Squamous cell.

I came out okay. I had to have plastic surgery on my lip, but you can’t really see it. The one in the laugh line can’t be seen either (lucky). DH is okay. Nose was quite a large area, and there is a dent in his nose, but as we are older, it does not bother him. If he was female, he probably would have had a little plastic surgery to correct it. It’s nothing to worry about really.
Thanks for that.

I'm sure his is from the Texas sun plus he is follicle challenged and he is also very bad about not covering his head with a hat or remembering his sun screen!

He is not worried about the one on his face just the ear as it is a delicate area.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 4:22 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

DH always had thick blonde hair, the best! Doctor was surprised he had it on his head, but apparently when he was young in Florida they used to cut their hair off really short so there you go! I’m quite fair skinned, typical English, so I scorched in the sun. We were beach lovers! If only we had known!
Old Nov 19th 2020, 5:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

You people weren't wrong about bloody shingles. I preferred it at the beginning.
The rash has all but disappeared but the itch drives me mad. Like lots of bugs crawling under and on my skin. I can't scratch as it's too tender. Pressure helps, so that means I can at least lay on my side and sleep, once I get used to the initial discomfort. But the moment I turn over the crawlers are crawling again.

Calamine lotion helps a bit. But the pain just gets worse as the day goes by. And my tummy feels like it's been slit open with a craft knife.
It's been 2 weeks since the rash developed and I had symptoms 3 days before that.

I probably have another couple of weeks to go but I'm now wondering about lasting damage. I expected to be on the home straight by now.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 6:21 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
You people weren't wrong about bloody shingles. I preferred it at the beginning.
The rash has all but disappeared but the itch drives me mad. Like lots of bugs crawling under and on my skin. I can't scratch as it's too tender. Pressure helps, so that means I can at least lay on my side and sleep, once I get used to the initial discomfort. But the moment I turn over the crawlers are crawling again.
At least it's not crabs....
Old Nov 19th 2020, 6:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Calamine lotion helps a bit. But the pain just gets worse as the day goes by. And my tummy feels like it's been slit open with a craft knife.
It's been 2 weeks since the rash developed and I had symptoms 3 days before that.

I probably have another couple of weeks to go but I'm now wondering about lasting damage. I expected to be on the home straight by now.
It takes a while, don't panic. Did you get anti-viral medication early on?

I had/have no residual pain from mine at all. Occasionally I still get some itching that can't be fixed by scratching, but the only lasting thing is an area of my neck/shoulder that seems to have fewer functional nerve endings left so needs to be scratched harder if there's an itch and feels a little bit numb. No big deal though.

My father had a really bad go of it on his face and head. We were on holiday in France at the time (I was only 3), and the docs just filled him up with morphine so it must have been pretty bad. Even though he would feel it from time to time after that, it never reached the level of real pain again.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 7:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It takes a while, don't panic. Did you get anti-viral medication early on?
I think so. I had a mystery 'bruised rib' feeling on the weekend, that spread to an ever so slightly sore chest and the Monday night/Tuesday morning was when I discovered the bumps on my side. Saw the doc on that day and started the anti-virals the same day. Just a case of whether I had the rash earlier and didn't notice.

But everything I've read says it comes on before the rash so I figured I'd be okay. And from what others said and other bits I'd read I really thought I was getting off lightly.

I finally succumbed and took half an oxy but it hasn't done anything. It'll be a whole one tomorrow.

Trying Lysine too, see if t hat aids recovery.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 7:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I finally succumbed and took half an oxy but it hasn't done anything. It'll be a whole one tomorrow.
What worked to ease the pain when I had it was big doses of vitamin C.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 7:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I think so. I had a mystery 'bruised rib' feeling on the weekend, that spread to an ever so slightly sore chest and the Monday night/Tuesday morning was when I discovered the bumps on my side. Saw the doc on that day and started the anti-virals the same day. Just a case of whether I had the rash earlier and didn't notice.

But everything I've read says it comes on before the rash so I figured I'd be okay. And from what others said and other bits I'd read I really thought I was getting off lightly.

Trying Lysine too, see if t hat aids recovery.

I think you would have noticed if you had had the rash. It's pretty unmissable. Sounds like you got the anti-virals in good time, they'll help shorten the course and lessen the likelihood of any long-term after effects.

I had strange pains down one arm before I could see any rash, like electric shocks.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 7:31 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
What worked to ease the pain when I had it was big doses of vitamin C.
Ah yes, that rings a bell now. I should have paid more attention but I thought I'd escaped the worst.

I think we have a supply. I'll take some going to bed and see what it does.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
I have a question for anyone that has had skin cancer removed. Has anyone had Mohs surgery and if so how was it?

Last week M had some skin blemishes removed on his head and two biopsies from the top of his ear and from below his ear lobe (on his face). The Dermatologist called today to say they were squamous cell carcinomas and he has to have Mohs surgery next week to remove a bigger and deeper area.

I know that once they get it all it should be ok but I'm concerned about how much they will remove from from the top of his ear!
Mohs surgery is removed layer by layer and it is checked for cells after each layer is removed. They told us it could take up to 4 hours and one area will be done next Tuesday and one the following week. He is not very happy about it.
First Mohs was today. The squamous cells were deep so by the time it was clear the hole from the removal was deep and wide so the doctor took a skin graft from behind his ear to cover it up. Lots of cutting and sewing but 3 hours from the start we were on our way home.

It actually looked like Mike Tyson had chewed on his ear when she took off the last layer! His ear is now wrapped like a mummy. Next week we return for suture removal and round two for the face squamous removal.

It is all fun and games in our house
Old Nov 24th 2020, 11:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

First Mohs was today. The squamous cells were deep so by the time it was clear the hole from the removal was deep and wide so the doctor took a skin graft from behind his ear to cover it up. Lots of cutting and sewing but 3 hours from the start we were on our way home.

It actually looked like Mike Tyson had chewed on his ear when she took off the last layer! His ear is now wrapped like a mummy. Next week we return for suture removal and round two for the face squamous removal.

It is all fun and games in our house
Give M another hug from me...just a hug this time!!
Old Nov 25th 2020, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Give M another hug from me...just a hug this time!!
Hmmm. This is becoming a habit
Old Nov 25th 2020, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. This is becoming a habit
Ssssshhhhhh...don’t tell everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.