Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Old Apr 10th 2020, 1:11 pm
  #586  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,043
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
They do offer a saving card. If you are eligible and apply for it then you can get the medicine for as low as $15 to $50. As I am now 65 and have Aetna Medicare I am not eligible to apply.
The doctors office did not get back to me and as it is Good Friday tomorrow I'm not sure if I will hear from them now until Monday. If so I will have to pay out for the pending prescription at the pharmacy. I am going to see if I can just pay for 1 weeks worth.
It's all kinds of wrong. I don't know how people manage. Hope you can find cheap drugs soon!
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:26 pm
  #587  
 
Sugarmooma's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,981
Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
It's all kinds of wrong. I don't know how people manage. Hope you can find cheap drugs soon!
Hell hath no fury...etc. So I called my insurance and let them have a very British rant on how they should not be charging their clients so much money for a months worth of pills. I don't know how or why or if they got tired of hearing a crazy Brit chewing them out but I kind of got a better deal from them. My original pill that works well and I have no side effects from is now $320 which is better than the $495 they wanted to charge me 2 days ago. So i am biting the bullet and picking up one months worth to use until my teledoc visit later this month.

Even so $320 is still a ridiculous amount of money for 30 pills!
Sugarmooma is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:31 pm
  #588  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 25,740
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
It's all kinds of wrong. I don't know how people manage. Hope you can find cheap drugs soon!
Cross your fingers and hope whatever is prescribed is on the various cheap generic lists big box stores have. Generics oddly tend to be cheaper in the US than Canada but name brand is way cheaper in Canada.

Of course these lists don't work for everyone, they are rather limited so if there isn't a suitable generic you can be up the creek in the US, medication prices are insane in the US. I used to routinely skip filling prescriptions when I lived in the US due to cost, fact of life really there. Even with the savings program, I was still having to pay $200+ a month which isn't small when only making $9/hr which is what I was making at the time.

Lists like these
https://www.walmart.com/cp/$4-prescriptions/1078664



Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:35 pm
  #589  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 13,924
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Generics oddly tend to be cheaper in the US than Canada but name brand is way cheaper in Canada.
I misread this at first. It was a big legal fight iirc for generic drugs to get on provincial health plans here.
caretaker is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2020, 11:37 pm
  #590  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 7,853
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Hell hath no fury...etc. So I called my insurance and let them have a very British rant on how they should not be charging their clients so much money for a months worth of pills. I don't know how or why or if they got tired of hearing a crazy Brit chewing them out but I kind of got a better deal from them. My original pill that works well and I have no side effects from is now $320 which is better than the $495 they wanted to charge me 2 days ago. So i am biting the bullet and picking up one months worth to use until my teledoc visit later this month.

Even so $320 is still a ridiculous amount of money for 30 pills!
Where's that picture of Arthur Daly?
"$495.... did I say $495? I must have been off with the fairies...$495, indeed!!"
"No, no, my dear, it's $320.... and that's the best deal you'll get this side of Dulwich."
"$495, gor, luvva duck!! It's $320 and don't let anyone tell you otherwise"
"$250? You 'avin' a giraffe?"

etc., etc.
Translate to American as required.
macliam is offline  
Old Apr 11th 2020, 12:18 am
  #591  
 
Sugarmooma's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,981
Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Where's that picture of Arthur Daly?
"$495.... did I say $495? I must have been off with the fairies...$495, indeed!!"
"No, no, my dear, it's $320.... and that's the best deal you'll get this side of Dulwich."
"$495, gor, luvva duck!! It's $320 and don't let anyone tell you otherwise"
"$250? You 'avin' a giraffe?"

etc., etc.
Translate to American as required.
Oh they were 'having a laugh" The pharmacy just called and the price is actually $347 !
Then the insurance company called and said they have now added it to the network but not in the tier bracket so I have to pay more but they are covering $300 of the cost as well so they are helping me. Err yeah! It certainly is more and I also pay a monthly premium for them to tell me they are helping me???

So we started off with my payment for a month being $495 with them paying $100 so pills would be a total of $595.

Now I have to pay $347 and they cover $300 so the total now is $647. Go figure!

Sugarmooma is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2020, 4:31 pm
  #592  
BEfuddled
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen, België.
Posts: 4,561
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Expatrick made a reference earlier today on another thread to "the jet", which is the nickname that we gave to my somewhat "wimpy" equivalent of BristolUK's Botham-endorsed foot massage machine.

I've not been using mine since I took delivery of the new trike; the feet simply seem to get enough stimulation just by pedalling out in the real world.

Maybe that says a lot about the state of upkeep of Belgian roads/pavements (sidewalks).
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2020, 5:02 am
  #593  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 25,740
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Had a CT scan of my abdomen last week, doctor only calls when there is something wrong, I have an appointment on Wed, hoping whatever it is, isn't bad and relatively minor.

If they found nothing the doctor wouldn't call for an appointment, she only calls when a test or imaging reveals something and needs following up on.

Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2020, 5:43 am
  #594  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,262
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Had a CT scan of my abdomen last week, doctor only calls when there is something wrong, I have an appointment on Wed, hoping whatever it is, isn't bad and relatively minor.

If they found nothing the doctor wouldn't call for an appointment, she only calls when a test or imaging reveals something and needs following up on.
Will be keeping everything crossed for you... hope it goes well and it's nothing serious!
Siouxie is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2020, 7:12 am
  #595  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 13,924
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
f they found nothing the doctor wouldn't call for an appointment, she only calls when a test or imaging reveals something and needs following up on.
I had to go back for a second scan when they had an indistinct image. I was told there was something that could be an irregularity in a lymph node. Once they got a 2nd scan it was plain there was no problem, and I got the all-clear. Try not to worry too much until you find out what she wants.
When you're trying to find out what's wrong, the more attention they give you, the better.
caretaker is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2020, 7:48 am
  #596  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 25,740
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I had to go back for a second scan when they had an indistinct image. I was told there was something that could be an irregularity in a lymph node. Once they got a 2nd scan it was plain there was no problem, and I got the all-clear. Try not to worry too much until you find out what she wants.
When you're trying to find out what's wrong, the more attention they give you, the better.
That is true. I am leaning towards it not being major or urgent since they didn't want to make an appointment straight away.

As long as its not something needing an in person visit to the doctor, I am good.... I'd drive to Vancouver if I had to though to see her if she needs to do an exam.

I don't have a GP in this area yet, and until I do, I was told to keep seeing my Vancouver GP since until I get a new GP she is still my GP. Just happens to be 4 hours and some change away..... But COVID and such phone appointments are the norm which is making things easier.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Sep 29th 2020 at 7:50 am.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2020, 8:08 am
  #597  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 13,924
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I was told to keep seeing my Vancouver GP since until I get a new GP she is still my GP. Just happens to be 4 hours and some change away..... But COVID and such phone appointments are the norm which is making things easier.
It would be nice if she could just hand your case to a local doctor. Sometimes it seems like the common sense solutions are treated as the last option. A 4 hour drive to see a doctor only makes sense if you live in the bush or way out in the country.
caretaker is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2020, 9:19 am
  #598  
So long...
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,006
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I had to go back for a second scan when they had an indistinct image. I was told there was something that could be an irregularity in a lymph node. Once they got a 2nd scan it was plain there was no problem, and I got the all-clear. Try not to worry too much until you find out what she wants.
When you're trying to find out what's wrong, the more attention they give you, the better.
I was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes back in mid-June, and a blood test also showed an increased white blood cell count. After a CT scan, I was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia (CLL) and I had a biopsy taken last week. Apparently, I've had it a while but have been asymptomatic.

Apparently it's common to have a mild form of it and live for another 20 years. Not suggesting that it's what you may have, but it's worth looking up the symptoms so you have an idea of what to look for.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Sep 29th 2020 at 9:21 am.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2020, 3:36 pm
  #599  
 
Sugarmooma's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,981
Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
That is true. I am leaning towards it not being major or urgent since they didn't want to make an appointment straight away.

As long as its not something needing an in person visit to the doctor, I am good.... I'd drive to Vancouver if I had to though to see her if she needs to do an exam.

I don't have a GP in this area yet, and until I do, I was told to keep seeing my Vancouver GP since until I get a new GP she is still my GP. Just happens to be 4 hours and some change away..... But COVID and such phone appointments are the norm which is making things easier.
Good luck for tomorrow
Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes back in mid-June, and a blood test also showed an increased white blood cell count. After a CT scan, I was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia (CLL) and I had a biopsy taken last week. Apparently, I've had it a while but have been asymptomatic.

Apparently it's common to have a mild form of it and live for another 20 years. Not suggesting that it's what you may have, but it's worth looking up the symptoms so you have an idea of what to look for.
Hope your biopsy results are good.. Look after yourself Dave.
Sugarmooma is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2020, 1:57 am
  #600  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 13,924
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

I've had some toothache trouble, and after a trip to Sask Polytechnic it turns out I'm getting a trip to a root canal specialist, and a trip to the periodontist.
Oh, and they signed me up for hygiene again in January. These are coveted appointments with long waiting lists, and I'm happy to keep going. Because it's a teaching institution it takes multiple appointments, but it's the best of care.
It's good to have your own teeth. I bit someone who was beating me up once, and he had to go to the hospital and get stitches.

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 30th 2020 at 1:59 am.
caretaker is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.