Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 4:10 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

... ,was prescribed vitamins B1/B2/B6/B12 and folic acid,
Marmite, you need Marmite!

And, as you have copped out of the green tea, I shall brook no excuse!
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 4:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fatty livers - no gastro thugs this time.

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I’m resurrecting this thread as it seems that it’s related to my recent episode of vasculitis as mentioned elsewhere. Sorry this is a bit of a long read.

<ramble>

What aggravated the current round of vasculitis was without doubt me; it comes and goes over periods of weeks or months, as it has done for three or four years now, only ever on the forearms; on occasion it can be quite itchy. This last time I was aware of the itch on one arm and had applied some cream before retiring. I awoke in the middle of the night feeling that something was ‘not quite right’ to find that I had obviously been scratching in my sleep, and the forearm was bleeding profusely in a couple of places. I applied a makeshift dressing to get through the night, and a closer inspection the next day prompted the visit to A&E.

My Swiss doctors had been aware of this and had said of no concern, but in fairness (??) it had never presented anywhere near that severely before.

A&E kicked me out having cleansed and dressed the wounds and supplied a referral letter for a dermatologist with whom I could only get an appointment a few weeks hence, so I got an appointment with the new family doctor for a second opinion a week ago. She pulled blood and booked me in for an abdominal ultrasound, and was back to see her Friday just gone to go through the results.

Fatty liver (again), other organs ok, but the bloodwork is apparently all over the shop.

Also I was down to my last two PPI’s - I’d been eking them out – so mentioned that that had been causing some mealtime discomfort of late. Was told to come off alcohol, was prescribed vitamins B1/B2/B6/B12 and folic acid, along with Xanax in case I wanted to come off alcohol cold turkey, and a new round of PPI’s.

Then on to diet, stop:

Fried food - I only eat fried food about once a fortnight, so playing that by ear.
White bread – I’m a wholemeal person.
Rice and pasta – bugger, that’ll be tricky.
Red meat – this surprised me.
Sugary drinks – I said my drink of choice is apple juice, she said ‘no’. This has me scrambling for Nutri-score info as I can easily get through a liter and a half a day, found an alternative with 50% sugar, and if I reduce daily consumption by 50%, that should do it. Sort of.

What I should be eating/drinking more of:
Avocado – no probs.
Walnuts – no probs.
Green veggies – ramp up the soup production.
Fish – I will need to swap out fish cakes for fish pie.
Oatmeal, but not muesli (?) – Ok, change of breakfast cereal.
Coffee – I’d been off for the best part of a year, may need to look at de-caff.
Green tea – no bloody way, I find it disgusting.
Milk/soya drink – no probs.

Get on with that and come back in a month for more bloodwork. There may be another ultrasound and maybe yet another gastroscopy in the offing though.

The vasculitis itself is healing very well, should only need dressing changing for another couple of days.

</ramble>

Sideline here is that as I still don't have my ID card, it's Pay As You Go - the doctors have bank-card readers, so she printed an invoice, I paid on the spot, coming home I checked a Swiss medical bill for a similar consultation period, this was about one sixth of the price. Also, the hospital, doctor and pharmacies all have access to the same database, so I can go to any pharmacy, show my registration number and that's sorted.

What do the B vitamins do for you in all this? Or has something stopped you from absorbing them so you have a deficiency? And what are the associated symptoms?

On the bright side, at least you have a plan for improving things.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 4:22 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Marmite, you need Marmite!

And, as you have copped out of the green tea, I shall brook no excuse!
Marmite on wholemeal toast, of course!

Something doesn't work for me with green tea though...
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 4:32 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Marmite on wholemeal toast, of course!

Something doesn't work for me with green tea though...
But of course!

LiW - I thought the b vitamins were required to help absorb minerals & things - not sure.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 4:47 pm
European

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
What do the B vitamins do for you in all this? Or has something stopped you from absorbing them so you have a deficiency? And what are the associated symptoms?

On the bright side, at least you have a plan for improving things.
I think that it's more likely that I have an overall deficiency rather than something inhibiting absorption.
Stress (goodness knows there's been enough of that over the last few months), coupled with upping the alcohol intake, being a bit disorderly on the dietary front generally, but definitely nothing to do with Belgian frites and mayo.

A quick look with the search engine tells me that the body doesn't store B vitamins very well, so I've getting rid of more than I actually need?

Symptoms that I would acknowledge are increased fatigue, which is down to a lack of B12. There are other symptoms across the whole B range, but I've not noticed anything irregular other than fatigue, and that only over the last couple of months.

I haven't looked this hard at my diet since I went through a stint of vegetarianism in my '20s.

Edit: Apparently they play a part in metabolism and energy production.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Feb 3rd 2019 at 4:53 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 4:56 pm
Dedicated European

Just checked, Marmite is rich in b12 & folic acid! I should be on commission!
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 4:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, marmite is made from sludge left from the beer making process. Lots of yeast, I believe, so B vitmaines galore.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 4:59 pm

I think that it's more likely that I have an overall deficiency rather than something inhibiting absorption.
Stress (goodness knows there's been enough of that over the last few months), coupled with upping the alcohol intake, being a bit disorderly on the dietary front generally, but definitely nothing to do with Belgian frites and mayo.

A quick look with the search engine tells me that the body doesn't store B vitamins very well, so I've getting rid of more than I actually need?

Symptoms that I would acknowledge are increased fatigue, which is down to a lack of B12. There are other symptoms across the whole B range, but I've not noticed anything irregular other than fatigue, and that only over the last couple of months.

I haven't looked this hard at my diet since I went through a stint of vegetarianism in my '20s.

Edit: Apparently they play a part in metabolism and energy production.
I thought Belgian frites were a vitamin
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 5:01 pm
European

Yes, marmite is made from sludge left from the beer making process. Lots of yeast, I believe, so B vitmaines galore.
I use it in quite a few dishes, not just neat on toast.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 5:01 pm
Dedicated European

Yes, so if BB can't have the beer at least he can have the left overs!
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 5:03 pm
Dedicated European

Man after my own heart!
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 5:05 pm
European

I thought Belgian frites were a vitamin
Certainly a staple, for sure.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 5:11 pm

You can get something called "nutritional yeast" (so not baker's or brewer's yeast) here that comes loose in yellow flakes. It tastes marmitey and is very good for cooking with since you get all the marmiteyness without the added salt, and it's cheaper if you are going to spoon it in.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 5:19 pm
European

You can get something called "nutritional yeast" (so not baker's or brewer's yeast) here that comes loose in yellow flakes. It tastes marmitey and is very good for cooking with since you get all the marmiteyness without the added salt, and it's cheaper if you are going to spoon it in.
Bit of a bugger when it comes to toast though?
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 5:22 pm

Bit of a bugger when it comes to toast though?
The problem there is that it doesn't stick to the toast easily unless you slather said toast in butter, thereby somewhat negating the health benefits.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.