Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Old Dec 4th 2019, 4:40 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Ah thanks chuck. Yes, not a nice feeling to know that you've become dependent on a drug, even if you knew at the time you started taking it that this would probably happen. I'm resigned to the dependency/withdrawal thing now and it's actually given me a bit of a boost to take more care of my body in ways that I can control. Scouse and I have been doing lots of walking and swimming, feeling the benefits already. The new regime may or may not last
Well that's a positive from a negative situation. At least it's a regimen that has started. I need a kick up the backside to get moving. I can't believe that I have turned into a lardy arse, I used to be such an active person, swimming, ballet, tap, yoga just always moving. I don't know what happened, I thought I would always be a slim, active bod. Ho hum!
Old Dec 4th 2019, 5:11 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Ah thanks chuck. Yes, not a nice feeling to know that you've become dependent on a drug, even if you knew at the time you started taking it that this would probably happen. I'm resigned to the dependency/withdrawal thing now and it's actually given me a bit of a boost to take more care of my body in ways that I can control. Scouse and I have been doing lots of walking and swimming, feeling the benefits already. The new regime may or may not last
Mum had this with her drugs for her RA. Got rather tetchy around the edges sometimes but it was what was the lesser of the two evils I suppose. She was a stalwart, strong, fab person was my Mum and you are too.

Good to know BigSticks has joined the Blob Society. I think I may have been the first member.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 6:46 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

This is going to sound weird but it came up earlier today in my weekly 'Conversational English' class.

One of the participants assured me that his brother "gets angry when he smells fish".

Obviously I first thought that he meant "hungry" rather than "angry", but deeper questioning confirmed that he did indeed mean angry - this verified by a bilingual person.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

I get hallucinations having ingested mono-sodium-glutamate, but I believe that's not too uncommon. And I only frequent trusted Chinese restaurants these days.

Paging Expatrick, did you see anything like this when we were discussing 'bad liver' symptoms a while ago?

Anyone else have anything?

Old Dec 10th 2019, 10:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
This is going to sound weird but it came up earlier today in my weekly 'Conversational English' class.
I say, that's not very sporting of you old boy, what with the obvious advantage you have over the locals.

One of the participants assured me that his brother "gets angry when he smells fish".
All I can think of is that some migraine sufferers have a heightened sense of smell and they might get angry if they think one's coming on.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine smells could make someone angry depending on what our brains associates the smell with, scent is one of our most powerful senses and can bring upon changes in our mood. I sounds can make people angry, its called Misophonia, but very little is known about it since so little research has been done.

Certain sounds do make me angry, the sound of chewing causes anger, as does being too quiet and being able to hear other people breathe, when I hear someone eating a salad, or crunchy foods, I become angry to the point I need to leave the area. I already know my brain doesn't work right, and I am honestly to a point where I consider wearing noise cancelling earphones and playing music so I can avoid trigger sounds.

I would imagine in some scents could do the same, much like how some scents can make us ill to our stomach, if I smell beer, I get shiver up my spine, and feel sick to the stomach, as does Malibu rum, both when I was younger I drank too much of and got sick, so I imagine my brain now associates those smells as danger and triggers an unpleasant response.

I got x-rays done today, I thought the doctor was just redoing the knee again, but man it took 45 minutes, I think every inch of my femur was done, wasn't what I was expecting at all. Wonder what the radiologist saw that led the GP to do such investigative x-ray, all I have been told so far is something is there, but its not clear if its significant, guess I'll find out soon enough. Maybe it's not even my knee that hurts, maybe the pain is just radiating to the knee from somewhere else.

Obviously I first thought that he meant "hungry" rather than "angry", but deeper questioning confirmed that he did indeed mean angry - this verified by a bilingual person.

I get hallucinations having ingested mono-sodium-glutamate, but I believe that's not too uncommon. And I only frequent trusted Chinese restaurants these days.

Paging Expatrick, did you see anything like this when we were discussing 'bad liver' symptoms a while ago?

Old Dec 11th 2019, 4:56 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone else encountered anything like this
Given the nature of the class, could he have meant "My brother gets angry when he smells something fishy."? It sort of makes sense that someone would be angry if they were suspicious of something, and if he'd heard the expression somewhere....

Last edited by caretaker; Dec 11th 2019 at 6:36 am.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 5:58 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

No BB, never came across that one.

I get angry when I smell fish - fish shouldn't smell!
Old Dec 11th 2019, 6:19 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post

Spinach... Boiled limp Spinach makes me heave......
Old Dec 11th 2019, 10:43 am
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I say, that's not very sporting of you old boy, what with the obvious advantage you have over the locals.
You tart, Rodney!

All I can think of is that some migraine sufferers have a heightened sense of smell and they might get angry if they think one's coming on.
More than plausible, see below.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I would imagine smells could make someone angry depending on what our brains associates the smell with, scent is one of our most powerful senses and can bring upon changes in our mood. I sounds can make people angry, its called Misophonia, but very little is known about it since so little research has been done.
Thanks Js, that proved a very useful pointer. I went looking at Misophonia, and somehow that got me on to Anosmia then to Hyperosmia and similar.

From an article that I read earlier:
Incoming smells are first processed by the olfactory bulb, which starts inside the nose and runs along the bottom of the brain. The olfactory bulb has direct connections to two brain areas that are strongly implicated in emotion and memory: the amygdala and hippocampus. Interestingly, visual, auditory (sound), and tactile (touch) information do not pass through these brain areas. This may be why olfaction, more than any other sense, is so successful at triggering emotions and memories.
Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Given the nature of the class, could he have meant "My brother gets angry when he smells something fishy."? It sort of makes sense that someone would be angry if they were suspicious of something, and if he'd heard the expression somewhere....
We were definitely on the literal meaning of smelling fish. My students have only been studying "Buckinghamshire-speak" for twelve weeks or so; I'll be getting to the more advanced stuff next term...

You have a valid point there.

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Spinach... Boiled limp Spinach makes me heave......
This one I do know, but with me it’s cabbage. I can date this to primary-school lunches, the cabbage (having been simmered for around three weeks) was served up by an absolute harridan with a voice a bit like Lee Marvin doing Wanderin’ Star.

Come to think of it, she looked a bit like Lee Marvin as well.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 11:07 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

This one I do know, but with me it’s cabbage. I can date this to primary-school lunches, the cabbage (having been simmered for around three weeks) was served up by an absolute harridan with a voice a bit like Lee Marvin doing Wanderin’ Star.

That's funny - she worked at my school too!
Old Dec 11th 2019, 11:35 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

You tart, Rodney!

I have to say that listening to Lee Marvin singing Wanderin` Star is so relaxing for me. I love to hear him growling.
Maybe all the people that have the angry spiked problem from food should listen to Lee when they are eating.
Problem solved!
Old Dec 11th 2019, 11:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Certain smells/scents bring on horrendous migraines for me. Chocolate, bleach, Lavender are major no nos for me. There are many more but with those three, my mouth waters, my stomach churns and my head starts tightening from the briefest of exposure. Makes me angry!
Old Dec 11th 2019, 11:42 am
Dedicated European

I find the smell of pear drops totally nauseous!
Old Dec 11th 2019, 2:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the smell of poo very much. Apart from that I think I'm ok.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 5:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I find the smell of pear drops totally nauseous!
Nail varnish remover.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.