Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Old Nov 13th 2019, 4:54 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Health related, this is a little worrying.

Earlier this year there was a news report of two patients diagnosed with CJD at our hospital. Both had cataract surgery at that hospital last winter, 2018-19. Letters had gone out to others who'd also had the surgery there around the same time. Nothing to worry about, same hospital procedures followed as all over Canada.

The report also said they were making some changes to sterilising instruments procedure. Does this mean they discovered a potential issue?

Apparently one patient had already been showing signs prior to the surgery. As reassuring as the health officials are being it doesn't look great. Stats are one in a million per year. Diagnosis is better now, etc etc.

"Why would we have two patients occur so soon one after the other in one hospital? When we scrutinized this, we could not find any reason for this except for statistical probability. It just so happens that two rare events occurred at once and these things do happen." Officials can, however, "very, very solidly say there's no linkage" between the cases."
My MIL had her cataract surgery at that hospital Jan/Feb 2016 so I decided nothing to worry about.

Today there's a new report of a third patient. Same hospital, same cataract surgery. But done December 2016. And only diagnosed in June having shown signs in April. Time between surgery and diagnosis of the original two, just months. Time for the latest one 2 and a half years.

Something like 600 letters went out as a result of the first two. Might need 4 or 5 times that now.
Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I'd definitely be a bit twitchy!
One of the first two patients apparently "showed signs" of CJD prior to surgery, no mention - or denial - of that with patient #3.

What have we got here; a cover up, a real issue or a slow news day?
Old Nov 13th 2019, 5:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hypochondria? That's the one thing I don't suffer from.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 6:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
O
Now, where were we? Oh yes

Mum had 4 or 5 (?) vertebrae fused, she said that the loss of range of motion (I think she called it bendability) was a ridiculously small price to pay for the pain relief. She spent months (years in my head, but Dad honestly wasn't the best cook on the planet, bless him) in plaster from under-armpit to just above hip.

If I understand my situation correctly, I have hernias above and below L5, so a fuse of L4/L5/L6 should get me feeling better sooner...

A few days after starting with the CBD oil, I found that I could come down from the daily Ibu/Paracetemol cocktail, and finished doing with that stuff a couple of weeks in, and goodness, did my digestive system love that. Ok, I'm a boy, hate taking medication of any kind...

The CBD plasters are my best find since... the oil, I suppose.
Did you mum have all those levels fused at once?! I've never heard of that before, although I don't suppose I've looked that closely into it. I'm really glad she recovered ok, that's some surgery.

If you don't think you've had the best advice re your back problems, I'd really try hard for another opinion if I were you BB. I'm glad that you're feeling better after stopping the anti-inflammatories and paracetamol though, the CBD oil and plasters sound like they're just right for your pain.

I think my own cocktail has decided to have a lend of me, very teary/depressed tonight for no reason at all. Life's great, gawd, my football team even won on the weekend, I should be happy! Going to try to get in to see my doc tomorrow, another day like this and I'll be looking for the highest cliff without a parachute.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 6:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Did you mum have all those levels fused at once?! I've never heard of that before, although I don't suppose I've looked that closely into it. I'm really glad she recovered ok, that's some surgery.

If you don't think you've had the best advice re your back problems, I'd really try hard for another opinion if I were you BB. I'm glad that you're feeling better after stopping the anti-inflammatories and paracetamol though, the CBD oil and plasters sound like they're just right for your pain.

I think my own cocktail has decided to have a lend of me, very teary/depressed tonight for no reason at all. Life's great, gawd, my football team even won on the weekend, I should be happy! Going to try to get in to see my doc tomorrow, another day like this and I'll be looking for the highest cliff without a parachute.
That many strong drugs are rough to handle. Have Scouse make a fuss of you. Hope it gets better soon. Try to remember it's just chemicals, and there is another side into which you will emerge eventually.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 7:17 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was a one off intervention, this must have taken place sometime 1970/71.

I haven't pushed the issue with my new medical people yet. The better I feel, the more exercise I can take, the stronger the muscles, and, and, but...It has to be every day, I missed a patch a few days ago, only felt it a couple of days later. On the lid it says "will be absorbed over 12 hours", that would appear to be pretty accurate so far, so I'm thinking to maybe move to two patches every 24 hours and cut the oil capsules out altogether.

Poor you, when med cocktail days go wrong, they can be bloody awful.

for Doc visit.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 7:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hypochondria? That's the one thing I don't suffer from.
An alternative suggestion for the thread title.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 8:01 pm
Oscar nominated

One of the first two patients apparently "showed signs" of CJD prior to surgery, no mention - or denial - of that with patient #3.

What have we got here; a cover up, a real issue or a slow news day?
I missed your post.
The third patient had her cataracts done in December 2018. First signs were the following April with June confirmation.

If it's a cover up it's not a very good one as it's all over the news

Old Nov 13th 2019, 8:32 pm
BEfuddled

An alternative suggestion for the thread title.
Right, gotcha now. Karma fatigue...

I missed your post.
The third patient had her cataracts done in December 2018. First signs were the following April with June confirmation.

If it's a cover up it's not a very good one as it's all over the news
Assuming that the revamped sterilisation program had been correctly put in place, then we are back to co-incidence...

Sometimes known as a tear in the 'statistical probability space time continuum'.

Ooh-err.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 8:41 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

You are entitled to feel the utter pits at times. Pain and meds are exhausting.

C'mere to me. You need a

Old Nov 13th 2019, 10:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Assuming that the revamped sterilisation program had been correctly put in place, then we are back to co-incidence...
Oops...I made a mistake in that last post. The earlier one was right. It was December 2016 she had her cataracts done and April this year the first signs. So if there is a connection there's two years worth of cataracts patients between hers in 2016 and the original 2 in December 2018. Although that would mean the later cataract patients developing first.

It's just that when there were only two it was "two rare events occurring at once" and now it's three.

I'll start to worry if it becomes 4. The eye doc I see as part of my general diabetic care has hinted I'm a future cataract patient. He also wants to do an injection treatment in my eye for a macular thing but it's only tiny, doesn't bother me and hasn't worsened since he first mentioned it about three years ago.
He keeps an eye on it - - at my regular appointments so if it gets worse, maybe then.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 5:07 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Very pleased that the CBD oil/plasters are helping your pain BB.

Spouse love, I hope you've managed to get to see your GP. I hate that depressed/teary feeling and just want to hop across to see you and give you a huge hug and possibly chocolate if that would help. I could bring alcohol too, though that doesn't go well with pain meds really! Pain sucks!
Old Nov 17th 2019, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

H. Pylori came back negative, but the lab results have a comment about possible false negative, but the official result they are going with is negative.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't jump of a cliff spouse of scouse i need an aussie mate to take the piss out of.Just go walkabout take your boomerang and play your didgeridoo and have a chat with skippy don't go near the billybong there's crocodiles in there.Cheer up mate liverpool are top
Old Nov 17th 2019, 8:33 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Just go walkabout take your boomerang and play your didgeridoo and have a chat with skippy don't go near the billybong there's crocodiles in there.
"Flying Doctor to Wangarangoo Station - Tell her to lay on her side and drink plenty of water, I should be there in a couple of hours."

Old Nov 24th 2019, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Stomach thing of mine is perplexing, all the tests are coming back normal, but the feeling wont go away, and at times sharp pain that comes and go quickly, sometimes right side, sometimes left.

Maybe once I get into a GI doc it can be sorted, GP doesn't have any idea and she has done everything she can do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.