Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Old Nov 9th 2019, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
The first gastroscope I had was just a quick look-see like that and the only nasty bit was the bitter throat spray they use to keep you from gagging on the camera hose. When it's colonoscopy time and they want you to drink a gallon of foul stuff the day before, there are a few ways to make that a little easier.
The first colonoscopy I had the medication the doctor used wasn't too bad, tasted like warm 7/up, but the 2nd one the doctor used a different one and that stuff was vile, and I had to take a lot more, and it was salty and blech.

The colonoscopy itself though was never bad, other then the first minute or so, I have no memory of it, the medication they gave was good stuff.

The throat doctor sprayed something up my nose that numbed the nose and throat when he sent the little camera up my nose to see the top part of my throat, the taste was bad, but the procedure was easy, going via the nose was not bad at all for that one.

I almost wonder if my stomach has managed to work its way up further, but I guess I will find out eventually what is happening inside me. Right now its a lets do a bunch of tests and see what we find, the doctor really has no idea at the moment what it could be. I do the breath test and blood work on Tuesday then see the doctor again on the 18th, but of course I will have some of the results online before then.

At-least I am in Canada and don't have to pay for all these tests and doctor visits.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Thanks, it's been pretty a rough few months. I have at least felt better the last couple of weeks so I'm hoping its a good sign that everything is healing. I will also be glad if I can quit some of the meds as well but I'm not holding out much hope of that happening!
Glad to hear your feeling a bit better, hopefully that is a good sign that everything is healing nicely.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Nov 9th 2019 at 4:54 am.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 9:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The first gastroscope I had was just a quick look-see like that and the only nasty bit was the bitter throat spray they use to keep you from gagging on the camera hose. When it's colonoscopy time and they want you to drink a gallon of foul stuff the day before, there are a few ways to make that a little easier.
Maybe different countries different treatments but each Gastroscopy I've had I've had the same knock out drug as I have for Colonoscopies so I'm out of it having an awesome nap and totally unaware of cameras disappearing down throats (or up back end). Are you guys awake for yours?
Old Nov 9th 2019, 9:29 am
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Maybe different countries different treatments but each Gastroscopy I've had I've had the same knock out drug as I have for Colonoscopies so I'm out of it having an awesome nap and totally unaware of cameras disappearing down throats (or up back end). Are you guys awake for yours?
Not me. Like yourself I was under general anaesthetic when I had the double done, but I was fully conscious for a virtual colonoscopy a few weeks later, and found that to be somewhat "uncomfortable" to say the least.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 11:14 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
For my first "look-see" they just gave me enough to make me compliant, so I was aware and since they only did one biopsy the quick snip and staple wasn't too bad. The second time (and I think I had about 4 of each within a few years) I didn't want the 24 hr driving ban, and because people on here told me that gastroscopes and colonoscopies are often done in England without anesthetic (so the patient can talk to the doctor say what they're feeling), I requested none. Wow, that was a mistake! 20 minutes of cutting and stapling, and I puked twice into the mask. The next time I mentioned that I would like some anesthetic, please, and I think they gave me extra because I was awake for the hose going in, but nothing else until it was done.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 11:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

For my first "look-see" they just gave me enough to make me compliant, so I was aware and since they only did one biopsy the quick snip and staple wasn't too bad. The second time (and I think I had about 4 of each within a few years) I didn't want the 24 hr driving ban, and because people on here told me that gastroscopes and colonoscopies are often done in England without anesthetic (so the patient can talk to the doctor say what they're feeling), I requested none. Wow, that was a mistake! 20 minutes of cutting and stapling, and I puked twice into the mask. The next time I mentioned that I would like some anesthetic, please, and I think they gave me extra because I was awake for the hose going in, but nothing else until it was done.
Always a light general anesthetic in Australia. Last thing you remember is the nurse wrapping you in a warm blanket and the anesthetist saying 'just a light scratch'. Then scouse had one when we were living in the UK, and couldn't believe there was no GA. His experience wasn't as bad as yours, but bad enough to never want to repeat it.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Last colonoscopy I got Propofol, it eventually worked but I was awake and have memory of the first part of the colonoscopy and watching the screen, last memory I have was hearing a code blue alarm going off, next memory after that is a nurse saying breathe over and over, apparently I was taking very shallow breaths so they had a nurse sit next to to remind me until I was fully awake again....(the code blue wasn't for me.)

The ENR doctor went through the nose, just a slight numbing spray and it was very well tolerated, no pain, only slight annoyance, he went down to the bottom of the esophagus the back up. Whole thing took about 5 minutes, and was done in his office vs the hospital, no sedation needed.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Last colonoscopy I got Propofol, it eventually worked but I was awake and have memory of the first part of the colonoscopy and watching the screen, last memory I have was hearing a code blue alarm going off, next memory after that is a nurse saying breathe over and over, apparently I was taking very shallow breaths so they had a nurse sit next to to remind me until I was fully awake again....(the code blue wasn't for me.)

The ENR doctor went through the nose, just a slight numbing spray and it was very well tolerated, no pain, only slight annoyance, he went down to the bottom of the esophagus the back up. Whole thing took about 5 minutes, and was done in his office vs the hospital, no sedation needed.
Back in about grade 5 one schoolyard taunt was "Up your nose with a rubber hose."
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ha ha and now its reality....

Back in about grade 5 one schoolyard taunt was "Up your nose with a rubber hose."
Old Nov 10th 2019, 3:35 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We used to say that in Oz too! And up your bum with a 44 gallon drum
Old Nov 10th 2019, 3:39 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Got an endoscopy in my very near future. I'll be asleep, thankfully, though don't get as much of a rest as when they do the double. The only oscopy I've been awake for was a sigmoidoscopy and I wish never to go through that ever, ever, again.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Doctor last week didn't want to prescribe the PPI again, apparently some concerns with long term use, but oh man the acid is back with a vengeance, my throat is back to being on fire. I can't take anything other then tums type medications until after my breath test Tuesday, but tums are basically useless.

I have completely removed carbonated drinks, sugar, coffee, tea, mint, anything spicy, walking everyday, sleeping sitting up a bit. So doing what I can to to prevent it. I have been drinking just plain water, and even it comes back up.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 6:47 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, let's try this.

Feet firmly planted and... squat, do NOT bend from the hip.

Ensure a good grip then gently pull...

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
I wonder if any of you are taking cannabis oil - especially now that it's all legal in Canada. It's wonderful for reducing pain, so check it out if you haven't already.
Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I saw this post from Gordon a few days ago, but held off replying as I was undergoing some tests, so didn't want to spoof myself or indeed anyone else.

I've been taking CBD oil in capsule form for some 10 months or so due to ongoing back pain - I have two "slipped discs". The capsules have helped a lot in reducing the pain, allowing more mobility, hence more exercise, hence building back stronger muscles.

These capsules are not on prescription, so are sourced and paid for out of my own pocket. Having placed my last order, I received an email saying that they were out of stock, blah blah some gremlin in the supply chain, would I accept an alternative capsule? - half the potency, but they would double the number of capsules, so +/- back to my requirement. Their best guess was 8-10 weeks before the original product would be available, so I said ok, let's try with this. The capsules arrived less than 24 hours later, with a complementary gift of 16 CBD plasters.

I didn't jump in immediately, but did some reading and found that maximum absorption take up of active ingredient is up to 90% when using plasters, compared to just 60% when using oil/capsules. 10 days in now, I'm seeing a definite improvement.

And the plasters come out around 70% cheaper than the capsules for equivalent perceived relief.

Trial is ongoing.
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
That's good news BB, I'm really glad to see you're getting some relief from your pain. I discussed a CBD transdermal patch with my doctor, but although she's open to the idea she doesn't feel it will give me the pain relief I currently need, so I'm still on buprenorphine patches plus oral tapentadol, celebrex and a very high dose of gabapentin. Been on these meds for 2 months, and I have up to 4 months to go.

Surgeon is trying to avoid another spinal fusion. I have a cervical nerve that has become squashed due to a disc extrusion. Laminectomy surgery didn't help, so now it's a case of seeing if the nerve swelling and inflammation will subside on its own. I absolutely hate taking so many strong drugs, but I also don't fancy my entire cervical spine being fused. That's what will have to happen in 4 months though if the nerve hasn't settled. My docs know that 2 months down the track there's been no improvement at all, because being late with taking the meds by even one hour sees a return of the pain. And it really is unbearable pain.

If I was a horse I'd be shot
Cheers spouse of scouse, pain relief is what I'm after these days.

My doc back in CH (well, one of them) said that my back was basically buggered - to use the technical term - and very much pooh-poohed my question regarding a potential spinal fuse; I only mentioned it as I remember that it brought my mum back to life big time after so, so many years of absolute agonv.

She worked nights for years as an auxiliary nurse in a maternity wing offshoot scary monster building about 5 miles off the main hospital, but it was in in our village, so her commute by bicycle was do-able, kind of.

But my doc said no, not for me.

Good that you discussed the use of CBD with your doc. It can have negative/nullifying effects when taken with other medication.

Hang on, I just re-read your post, you said "Surgeon is trying to avoid another spinal fusion." Another? Is this related to the car smash of a while back?

Even if you declared yourself horse, best count me out of the shoot squad, my eyesight is really not up to it.

Late thought: Would this sub-discussion be better placed in "Fatty livers & gastro thugs" ?

I'll hit the report thingy and ask nicely.

Even later thought (when in the report thingy page): "Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."

So I didn't.
Better watch it; they probably have their eye on you now.
Originally Posted by BEVS View Post

Yup. This discussion could be laced in the gastro thread or a new thread called cbd oil or something.

GERD stuff could be moved to the GERD thread too if that seems sensible.

This is the Random Stuff thread after all.

Let me know
I don't mind where it's put, but I don't have a fatty liver or gastro or GERD problems, and I don't take cannabis products. I suppose we could have a back problems thread but then it's all starting to get a bit ridiculous I think that random people discussing random issues and random ways to address those issues sits pretty well in a Random Stuff thread.
Spinal fusion's usually the treatment of last resort and not all conditions or people are suitable for it, but if neither of those apply to you and you've been having severe pain for over 6 months then it really should be considered. You do lose some of your range of motion but in my opinion that's an ok price to pay to live pain and drug free.

Gawd, your poor mum. Nursing is so hard on the spine, I'm glad she finally got some relief. The scary monster building sounds scary and, well, monstrous!

I had a cervical spinal fusion after the car accident. My entire cervical spine is like your back, knackered, and every fusion you have further weakens the levels above and below. Think of it as degenerative disc disease on the fastest speed setting.

I would never ask anyone I liked to shoot me. Neigh.
I think my dad's back took a year or more to fuse on it's own after his car accident. Because it was happening naturally he and his doctor didn't opt for electronic fusion, but he had to wear a brace until it was finished.
That brace must have been uncomfortable for him. Great result in the end though.
Oh yes, the accident happened when he was only 55, and even though he had 36 years service it took 4 years fighting the company to get a full medical pension. That left a lot of time for golf.
Four years, dear lord I thought my 3 year fight with the insurance company after my accident was bad!
I think that the gastro thread is the logical place for this. That thread is meant in a fairly generic sense, it grew from some off-grid discussions between Expatrick and myself on the subject of foot massage machines and broken ankles.
... et voila!

Now, where were we? Oh yes

Spinal fusion's usually the treatment of last resort and not all conditions or people are suitable for it, but if neither of those apply to you and you've been having severe pain for over 6 months then it really should be considered. You do lose some of your range of motion but in my opinion that's an ok price to pay to live pain and drug free.

Gawd, your poor mum. Nursing is so hard on the spine, I'm glad she finally got some relief. The scary monster building sounds scary and, well, monstrous!

I had a cervical spinal fusion after the car accident. My entire cervical spine is like your back, knackered, and every fusion you have further weakens the levels above and below. Think of it as degenerative disc disease on the fastest speed setting.
Mum had 4 or 5 (?) vertebrae fused, she said that the loss of range of motion (I think she called it bendability) was a ridiculously small price to pay for the pain relief. She spent months (years in my head, but Dad honestly wasn't the best cook on the planet, bless him) in plaster from under-armpit to just above hip.

If I understand my situation correctly, I have hernias above and below L5, so a fuse of L4/L5/L6 should get me feeling better sooner...

A few days after starting with the CBD oil, I found that I could come down from the daily Ibu/Paracetemol cocktail, and finished doing with that stuff a couple of weeks in, and goodness, did my digestive system love that. Ok, I'm a boy, hate taking medication of any kind...

The CBD plasters are my best find since... the oil, I suppose.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Health related, this is a little worrying.

Earlier this year there was a news report of two patients diagnosed with CJD at our hospital. Both had cataract surgery at that hospital last winter, 2018-19. Letters had gone out to others who'd also had the surgery there around the same time. Nothing to worry about, same hospital procedures followed as all over Canada.

The report also said they were making some changes to sterilising instruments procedure. Does this mean they discovered a potential issue?

Apparently one patient had already been showing signs prior to the surgery. As reassuring as the health officials are being it doesn't look great. Stats are one in a million per year. Diagnosis is better now, etc etc.
"Why would we have two patients occur so soon one after the other in one hospital? When we scrutinized this, we could not find any reason for this except for statistical probability. It just so happens that two rare events occurred at once and these things do happen." Officials can, however, "very, very solidly say there's no linkage" between the cases."
My MIL had her cataract surgery at that hospital Jan/Feb 2016 so I decided nothing to worry about.

Today there's a new report of a third patient. Same hospital, same cataract surgery. But done December 2016. And only diagnosed in June having shown signs in April. Time between surgery and diagnosis of the original two, just months. Time for the latest one 2 and a half years.

Something like 600 letters went out as a result of the first two. Might need 4 or 5 times that now.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 9:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Health related, this is a little worrying.

Earlier this year there was a news report of two patients diagnosed with CJD at our hospital. Both had cataract surgery at that hospital last winter, 2018-19. Letters had gone out to others who'd also had the surgery there around the same time. Nothing to worry about, same hospital procedures followed as all over Canada.

The report also said they were making some changes to sterilising instruments procedure. Does this mean they discovered a potential issue?

Apparently one patient had already been showing signs prior to the surgery. As reassuring as the health officials are being it doesn't look great. Stats are one in a million per year. Diagnosis is better now, etc etc.

My MIL had her cataract surgery at that hospital Jan/Feb 2016 so I decided nothing to worry about.

Today there's a new report of a third patient. Same hospital, same cataract surgery. But done December 2016. And only diagnosed in June having shown signs in April. Time between surgery and diagnosis of the original two, just months. Time for the latest one 2 and a half years.

Something like 600 letters went out as a result of the first two. Might need 4 or 5 times that now.
I'd definitely be a bit twitchy!
Old Nov 13th 2019, 3:36 pm
BEfuddled

Default Information: Thread is experiencing an identity crisis, normality to resume asap

Original thread title : Fatty livers and gastro thugs

Proposed replacement thread title : Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Counter proposal for thread title : Manky bits, remedies and other animals

Your caring, sharing Think Tank wish to advise that this matter has a high priority, and will be resolved "within a reasonable timescale".

Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Nov 13th 2019 at 3:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.