Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Old Nov 27th 2021, 1:17 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broken bodies and bio mechanics

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
My sis in law has malignant tumours in both lungs, she's 53. Surgeon etc are having a meeting today to work out what they can and can't do for her, they think the tumour in one of her lungs is inoperable. She's a strong woman and will KBO as best she can.
My SIL in the US has the same as above. She is at the 18-month mark. She could not have surgery. She had chemo and immunotherapy (all through the pandemic). Some chemical reaction in her brain from the cancer made her unable to use her legs. She is 76, and a v strong woman. Looked like a model when younger, so a difficult time for her. She has been in a rehab/nursing care place for a year, because she falls so easily. Physio helped for a while, but not now. It is v sad. She is DH sister. Yes, she did smoke for most of her life, but quit about 10 years ago. Sorry about your SIL, so young.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 1:20 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
A lot better, thanks JG.

Blood tests are now every two weeks. I think it will take a while to get my hemoglobin and iron back to normal. On 9th December I have an ultrasound and then hopefully a reprieve until an endoscopy in January. Tired of being prodded and poked!

We were gifted an early Christmas present of 3 days in a beach house in Galveston so next Friday through Sunday I will get my relaxing beach and sea air break that I have wanted. I can't wait
Good to know you are feeling better. Just in time for Xmas! Hope you can indulge in a mince pie or two!
Old Nov 27th 2021, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
My SIL in the US has the same as above. She is at the 18-month mark. She could not have surgery. She had chemo and immunotherapy (all through the pandemic). Some chemical reaction in her brain from the cancer made her unable to use her legs. She is 76, and a v strong woman. Looked like a model when younger, so a difficult time for her. She has been in a rehab/nursing care place for a year, because she falls so easily. Physio helped for a while, but not now. It is v sad. She is DH sister. Yes, she did smoke for most of her life, but quit about 10 years ago. Sorry about your SIL, so young.
When you read stories like this and Scouse’s SIL…it puts one’s own problems into perspective.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 1:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
Thanks Mallory, and to all who commented. My best wishes to your sister in law.

How I wish that so many of our members and people they care about haven't had to battle the obscenity that is cancer. But battle it we do, because there's no other choice. I like the message my brother sent me a couple of hours ago - 'We can either sit in the corner and cry or we can suck it up and keep going, we're doing the second one'.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 2:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
'We can either sit in the corner and cry or we can suck it up and keep going, we're doing the second one'.
These are the choices that are handed out to us. My sister had a melanoma diagnosis in 2019, had to have a toe amputated. She then had to have immunotherapy to kill anything that might have escaped the toe, but then that also killed the bit of the pancreas responsible for making insulin, so now she's also a Type 1 diabetic with a blood sugar monitor embedded in her skin and daily injections (to which her comment was "if Theresa May can do it, so can I") and now takes a daily chemo-type pill as a "just in case" type measure. She's all kbo though, all the time.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 3:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
These are the choices that are handed out to us. My sister had a melanoma diagnosis in 2019, had to have a toe amputated. She then had to have immunotherapy to kill anything that might have escaped the toe, but then that also killed the bit of the pancreas responsible for making insulin, so now she's also a Type 1 diabetic with a blood sugar monitor embedded in her skin and daily injections (to which her comment was "if Theresa May can do it, so can I") and now takes a daily chemo-type pill as a "just in case" type measure. She's all kbo though, all the time.
That was (is) a rough trot. I like her spirit and attitude.
Old Nov 29th 2021, 2:53 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I had the follow-up gastrothugoscopy earlier today, both the doctor and the nurse were infinitely more pleasant than those that I encountered two months ago. The stomach ulcers have healed, no relapse, so that's good. There was some talk of potential dysphagia (most likely triggered by GERD / stomach acid) but we left that for me to manage with PPIs for the moment.

Saw the GP last Friday for flu jab, he had reviewed the SPECT and CT scan results and has prescribed a calcium supplement. He suspects osteoporosis as a cause for the vertebra fracture, and wants a bone density scan done, which is odd as I had thought that that was part of the original plan. I'll run that one by the consultant physio when I see her next week.

'Normal' physio continues, as does usage of the TENS machine now that I have the green light.
Old Nov 29th 2021, 3:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
I had the follow-up gastrothugoscopy earlier today, both the doctor and the nurse were infinitely more pleasant than those that I encountered two months ago. The stomach ulcers have healed, no relapse, so that's good. There was some talk of potential dysphagia (most likely triggered by GERD / stomach acid) but we left that for me to manage with PPIs for the moment.

Saw the GP last Friday for flu jab, he had reviewed the SPECT and CT scan results and has prescribed a calcium supplement. He suspects osteoporosis as a cause for the vertebra fracture, and wants a bone density scan done, which is odd as I had thought that that was part of the original plan. I'll run that one by the consultant physio when I see her next week.

'Normal' physio continues, as does usage of the TENS machine now that I have the green light.
Good news.

I take calcium supplements for osteoporosis. With osteoporosis and GERD I have altered my diet considerably over the last few years. I eat a huge amount of kale and broccoli every day. I also eat yogurt and have a glass of milk each day. I have tried to cut out acid producing foods and alcohol as much as possible. If I lapse, I suffer for it.

I never took much notice about what I was eating, preferring sweet food and carbs to fruit and veg, Having 18” of colon removed 10 years ago, made me rethink what I was eating. Having osteoporosis and GERD made me doubly rethink.
Old Nov 29th 2021, 6:54 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Good news.

I take calcium supplements for osteoporosis. With osteoporosis and GERD I have altered my diet considerably over the last few years. I eat a huge amount of kale and broccoli every day. I also eat yogurt and have a glass of milk each day. I have tried to cut out acid producing foods and alcohol as much as possible. If I lapse, I suffer for it.

I never took much notice about what I was eating, preferring sweet food and carbs to fruit and veg, Having 18” of colon removed 10 years ago, made me rethink what I was eating. Having osteoporosis and GERD made me doubly rethink.
I've no problem with milk or broccoli, but can't be doing with kale. On the yoghurt front, when I was hospitalsed six years back they gave me some yoghurt-ish protein drink, which actually wasn't too bad. I've just found a supplier fairly close to home, so that's on the cards.

What kind of foodstuffs do you think of as acid producing? I take the point on alcohol, I've reduced consumption a considerable amount since being retired...

Also just got my new TENS single pad, four electrode mega-patch this afternoon, but that can wait 24 hours.
Old Nov 29th 2021, 8:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I've no problem with milk or broccoli, but can't be doing with kale. On the yoghurt front, when I was hospitalsed six years back they gave me some yoghurt-ish protein drink, which actually wasn't too bad. I've just found a supplier fairly close to home, so that's on the cards.

What kind of foodstuffs do you think of as acid producing? I take the point on alcohol, I've reduced consumption a considerable amount since being retired...

Also just got my new TENS single pad, four electrode mega-patch this afternoon, but that can wait 24 hours.

I have a large kale salad almost every day, with a low fat dressing. I love raw carrot so plenty of that in there too.

Chocolate (a particular favourite), cream, tomatoes, peppers, raw onion, all create acid. I believe spicy food does too, something I don’t care for. Google food to avoid acid reflux, also best food for acid reflux.

Old Nov 29th 2021, 10:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Om the acid reflux subject, I've found that any butter/ margerine has an effect on me (acid reflux)... swiftly cured by drinking lime/lemon juice in water (or vinegar and water)

If it's slightly tougher kale, shred it then braise it with a little water, garlic and oil/butter........it's yum!

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 29th 2021 at 10:21 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 3:42 pm
BEfuddled

I have a large kale salad almost every day, with a low fat dressing. I love raw carrot so plenty of that in there too.

Chocolate (a particular favourite), cream, tomatoes, peppers, raw onion, all create acid. I believe spicy food does too, something I don’t care for. Google food to avoid acid reflux, also best food for acid reflux.
I did search using that term, it seems to bring up various articles with conflicting results. I've reduced chocolate and coffee of late, don't do raw onion (well hardly ever) or raw tomatoes - although I saw tinned tomatoes being blamed as well, I do cook with those. Don't use peppers that often, when I do they're red, never green. I do use spices quite often, but keep chilli to a minimum.

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Om the acid reflux subject, I've found that any butter/ margerine has an effect on me (acid reflux)... swiftly cured by drinking lime/lemon juice in water (or vinegar and water)
I don't seem to have a problem with butter or any dairy - I eat lots of cheese, never noticed any issues, in fact cheese is my main go-to comfort food.

Thanks for the lime/lemon juice tip, I'll try that one.

Reckon I'll have to pay more attention and give myself a grilling as to what I just ate when it recurs. Taking the PPIs seems to keep it at bay, not ideal but ...

Just thought of one that does bring it on - melon. How weird is that?

Very late edit: Just read the user manual for my calcium supplement, I'm not to take it within two hours of eating spinach or rhubarb.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Nov 30th 2021 at 5:33 pm. Reason: Forgot to say thankyou to Siouxie first time.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pleased to hear it.

The beach house sounds fab…I could do with something like that. Enjoy.
When the Texas winter works in your favor it means we had 3 days of 80°f weather and relaxing fun on the beach and a wonderful house to stay in. You can't beat the sound of waves and a little sun to make you feel better!

Old Dec 6th 2021, 7:33 pm
BEfuddled

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
When the Texas winter works in your favor it means we had 3 days of 80°f weather and relaxing fun on the beach and a wonderful house to stay in. You can't beat the sound of waves and a little sun to make you feel better!

<snip lovely photos>
Looks really great!

80F would be around 26C in my money, so I'd be borderline at that point unless there was a breeze to offset?
Old Dec 6th 2021, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks really great!

80F would be around 26C in my money, so I'd be borderline at that point unless there was a breeze to offset?

It was perfect for us. No humidity and a lovely breeze. We were flying a kite when the grandkids arrived to join in the fun! The only good thing I have to say about Texas right now is the winter weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.