Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

British Pubs, a gift from the Gods

British Pubs, a gift from the Gods

Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Pubs, a gift from the Gods

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I do not remember what they looked like, I have just googled, but looking at them all, it just seems so unbelievable that any of them were gender specific. How times change.

Hang on, I might have a winner.
http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.co...dys-glass.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PWOsh5tJhj...s320/glass.gif

It looks like it might have been a Merseyside thing, anyone outside Merseyside remember the 'ladies glass'?
Ah yes, the lay-dee glass, and as said lay-dee's have this as it's not done to drink from a pint pot/glass
Good find.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I do not remember what they looked like, I have just googled, but looking at them all, it just seems so unbelievable that any of them were gender specific. How times change.

Hang on, I might have a winner.
http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.co...dys-glass.html

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PWOsh5tJhj...s320/glass.gif

It looks like it might have been a Merseyside thing, anyone outside Merseyside remember the 'ladies glass'?
Definitely.. in the 70s and 80s, if my wife and I both ordered a pint, mine would often be a dimple mug and she would get a straight glass. if she was getting a half, it would often come in one of those half-pint oversize wine glass thingies.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Scot and have always lived here in Scotland, but surprisingly enough I went to an English university - Leeds - for reasons I will not go into here.

Anyway I got to know much of Yorkshire quite well, and enjoyed our rambles through the Dales among many other activities, and inevitably my three years in Leeds involved quite a lot of pubbing, and I enjoyed the community spirited singing in some of them, especially later in the evening after more than just a wee bit of pint swilling and general merry carousing in such a manner that can only take place in a British pub, an institution that really can be justifiiably be described as unique.

A song I got to recognise was one called the Holmfirth Anthem, Holmfirth being an actual place in West Yorkshire where all the filming for the TV series "Last of the Summer Wine" took place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytlME4IrqP4

And this one......Swaledale...beautiful Dale, Home of the Swale....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD9jlnRiucY

North Yorkshire is truly beautiful - and that includes its coastline from Whitby down to Bridlington.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

The British pub no longer exists. It is gone forever. The labour party made sure of that. Pubs used to be a place where adults could go at night and drink and have a laugh with their mates. Now you have to have a meal, kids running round your feet, families complaining if your conversation gets too blue. It's a total tragedy. There always been enough places to take families. They should have left the pubs alone, let them run themselves, how they wanted to. The big recession in the eighties did not affect pub trade. It's the smoking ban, they should have let the traditional pubs have a choice. It would have been nice to be able to just go to the pub like in the old days, then go home for dinner or to the chippy. All these people saying pubs are better now, never really wanted or loved the true pub culture. They just wanted to hijack it and turn it into a sad replica of how it used to be. This is how big brother society is becoming, slowly and surely trying to control every single aspect of people's lives. Social engineering on a grand scale. Don't blame the supermarkets, people don't go to the pub anymore because they are restaurants, becoming more like McDonalds every day and they are now crap. It is truly very sad. The anals are controlling the world.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 7:36 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard View Post
The British pub no longer exists. It is gone forever. The labour party made sure of that. Pubs used to be a place where adults could go at night and drink and have a laugh with their mates. Now you have to have a meal, kids running round your feet, families complaining if your conversation gets too blue. It's a total tragedy. There always been enough places to take families. They should have left the pubs alone, let them run themselves, how they wanted to. The big recession in the eighties did not affect pub trade. It's the smoking ban, they should have let the traditional pubs have a choice. It would have been nice to be able to just go to the pub like in the old days, then go home for dinner or to the chippy. All these people saying pubs are better now, never really wanted or loved the true pub culture. They just wanted to hijack it and turn it into a sad replica of how it used to be. This is how big brother society is becoming, slowly and surely trying to control every single aspect of people's lives. Social engineering on a grand scale. Don't blame the supermarkets, people don't go to the pub anymore because they are restaurants, becoming more like McDonalds every day and they are now crap. It is truly very sad. The anals are controlling the world.
Of course the British pub still exists!! There are unfortunately some which have fallen by the wayside for various reasons, but they are still outnumbered by the ones that survive. I go home twice a year and spend a lot of that time meeting various friends & family in various pubs - we do the family friendly ones, student friendly, quiet locals for a chat, country ones for a fireside meal, girly gossips in lovely ones where no children can ring and say "mum....", city ones for football games, and the ones where my best mate and I just sit and smile and enjoy a beer.
So many great times! No way is the British pub culture dead, its still very alive, right across the country
Old Nov 24th 2012, 7:51 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

The White Bear at Masham for me...........nothing better than a pint (or 6 ) of Old Peculiar after a hard morning traipsing round the Brewery and if you are feeling REALLy adventurous try a pint of Rigwelter (think thats how you spell it......we call it Wigmelter cos I think it probably could)

Thank god Dan Murphys now sell Old Peculiar and I can get a regular fix lol.

Loz x
Old Nov 24th 2012, 9:21 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Of course the British pub still exists!! There are unfortunately some which have fallen by the wayside for various reasons, but they are still outnumbered by the ones that survive. I go home twice a year and spend a lot of that time meeting various friends & family in various pubs - we do the family friendly ones, student friendly, quiet locals for a chat, country ones for a fireside meal, girly gossips in lovely ones where no children can ring and say "mum....", city ones for football games, and the ones where my best mate and I just sit and smile and enjoy a beer.
So many great times! No way is the British pub culture dead, its still very alive, right across the country
The British pub is still VERY much alive and well, there are just so many wonderful pubs left, as you say many many more than have disappeared. We have certainly been taking advantage of the beautiful pubs since we have been back
The fact that they are no longer filled will cigarette smoke is a huge bonus. As someone who could only really drink socially in a bar for so many years it is fantastic to have the choice of so many great pubs now.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

This article, written in 2003, which I believe was before the smoking ban, sums it up. In particular ones defintion of what a pub is, which probably explains the conflict about whether the British pub is alive and well or dying a lingering death.

I've no doubt the situation has worsened since 2003.

http://www.pubcurmudgeon.org.uk/misc/deathpub.html
Old Nov 24th 2012, 12:32 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser View Post
This article, written in 2003, which I believe was before the smoking ban, sums it up. In particular ones defintion of what a pub is, which probably explains the conflict about whether the British pub is alive and well or dying a lingering death.

I've no doubt the situation has worsened since 2003.

http://www.pubcurmudgeon.org.uk/misc/deathpub.html
written by "a crusty, irascible, cantankerous person, full of stubborn ideas (and beer)" probably one of those pipe smoking beard strokers.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:31 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA View Post
written by "a crusty, irascible, cantankerous person, full of stubborn ideas (and beer)" probably one of those pipe smoking beard strokers.
I'm not sure what the story was supposed to tell us really ? The only thing is said that made much sense was 'Obviously all is not doom and gloom, and there are plenty of places where "proper" pubs continue to thrive.'
I bet he reads the Daily Mail
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955 View Post
I'm not sure what the story was supposed to tell us really ? The only thing is said that made much sense was 'Obviously all is not doom and gloom, and there are plenty of places where "proper" pubs continue to thrive.'
I bet he reads the Daily Mail
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:55 am
Banned

Sorry, what has confused you ?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955 View Post
Sorry, what has confused you ?
Two things.

1. The irrelevant assumption that the author reads the Daily Mail, a riposte which seems to be becoming standard when the intellect dries up.

2. The statement, in denial of statistics, that "The British pub is still very much alive and well" when simple research shows that this is plainly untrue.

The link that I posted was dated 2003. There are literally hundreds of other links available that support that post, right up until present day. Google 'boarded up pubs' and click on the images and you'll see page after page ( I gave up after 47 pages ) of pictures of pubs that are " not alive and well "

Just recently Waverley TBS went into administration with the loss of 685 jobs. Administrator Deloitte said Waverley had suffered as the number of pubs and bars in the UK fell.

Source. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19883025

Sure there are some good pubs left, and long may they continue, but to say with a blanket statement that the British pub is alive and well is just fantasy.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:37 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser View Post
Two things.

1. The irrelevant assumption that the author reads the Daily Mail, a riposte which seems to be becoming standard when the intellect dries up.

2. The statement, in denial of statistics, that "The British pub is still very much alive and well" when simple research shows that this is plainly untrue.

The link that I posted was dated 2003. There are literally hundreds of other links available that support that post, right up until present day. Google 'boarded up pubs' and click on the images and you'll see page after page ( I gave up after 47 pages ) of pictures of pubs that are " not alive and well "

Just recently Waverley TBS went into administration with the loss of 685 jobs. Administrator Deloitte said Waverley had suffered as the number of pubs and bars in the UK fell.

Source. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19883025

Sure there are some good pubs left, and long may they continue, but to say with a blanket statement that the British pub is alive and well is just fantasy.
I think if you read the thread you'll see there are several of us posting personal stories to show the British pub is still alive and well ...... or do you think we are all living in fantasy land?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
I think if you read the thread you'll see there are several of us posting personal stories to show the British pub is still alive and well ...... or do you think we are all living in fantasy land?
If the British pub is alive and well, why are so many closing?

Personal stories, I surmise, are about pubs that have been visited. You can hardly visit a pub that is closed now can you? So yes, the ones you visited are alive, whether they are well or not is pure conjecture unless you can see the books.

Last edited by Bud the Wiser; Nov 26th 2012 at 1:51 pm. Reason: correction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.