Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

British Airways Boeing 747s

British Airways Boeing 747s

Old Jan 29th 2019, 1:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Airways Boeing 747s

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
The first time I saw a 747 was when it was coming into the gate next to the one I was working a flight on (Md-80) and looking up and realizing the plane was taller then the terminal building. The 747 really looked out of place at the San Diego airport back then (may still, haven't been there in years) as the airport was never designed for such a plane, the only way it could taxi to the end of the runway was for them to close the runway so it could taxi up the runway and get into position, the wings were too long for the taxiway, could hit light posts and fencing.
The first time I saw one on the ground was back in the 80s at Aldergrove airport, when observers were allowed up to the gates to watch the planes coming and going. I think it was an Air France -100 series (could have been a -200, it was the one with only 3 windows in the upper deck), but that would have been a rare sight at Belfast even then so I can only imagine it was a refueling stop before it headed off for North America. I'll always remember seeing it stand out against the tiny by comparison BAC 1-11s and turboprops that were normally found operating out of there. Was pretty exciting at the time, since I'd only ever seen them in books up to then, or in flight.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
The 787 has opened up routes airlines would never have been able to fly so its really done a lot for the industry as well.
That really makes it not just the physical replacement for the 767, but the spiritual one as well.

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
I'm really looking forward to it, Sultan. Frankfurt to Buenos Aires and return (going to watch the solar eclipse in Argentina). I'll also be checking out LATAM's 777 on the short 2 hour hop between Santiago and Buenos Aires while I'm in South America.
That really does sound like a good trip, Buenos Aires is supposed to be a really good city to visit from what I've heard.

Got Easter weekend to look forward to before then however. LHR to JFK return on BA's 747-400. Funny how I've only travelled with British Airways once before, and that was 15 years ago, but this will now be my third flight with them in six months after going to Berlin in November and Hamburg (in Club Europe on an A321, which was very nice indeed) for New Year's.
I've only flown BA twice (two round trips on the 777, with a hop to Belfast on the A321 attached to the second trip), but I think they are still the best as far as the in-flight experience goes (though Aer Lingus and Air Canada are right up there). AA really lags behind in that respect, though their 777 is marginally better than the 767.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 1:33 pm
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Best 747 ever, saw this combo close up at Stansted in the 1980s -

Old Jan 29th 2019, 2:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post

I had a die-cast model of that carrier, complete with space shuttle and fold-away wheels
Old Jan 29th 2019, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I've only flown BA twice (two round trips on the 777, with a hop to Belfast on the A321 attached to the second trip), but I think they are still the best as far as the in-flight experience goes (though Aer Lingus and Air Canada are right up there). AA really lags behind in that respect, though their 777 is marginally better than the 767.
I have really enjoyed flying BA within Europe, so it will be interesting to see how their 747 long haul economy product compares.

Agree with you about Aer Lingus. I flew their A330 DUB-ORD and return from SFO for the 2017 solar eclipse and was very impressed by the standards of service. US Preclearance in DUB and some really quick connections to/from LHR also made that trip stand out for all the right reasons.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 2:48 pm
I have a comma problem

I have really enjoyed flying BA within Europe, so it will be interesting to see how their 747 long haul economy product compares.

Agree with you about Aer Lingus. I flew their A330 DUB-ORD and return from SFO for the 2017 solar eclipse and was very impressed by the standards of service. US Preclearance in DUB and some really quick connections to/from LHR also made that trip stand out for all the right reasons.
We flew the DUB-ORD route too. Had an older plane on the way out, it was still decent, but the A330-300 on the return leg was so much nicer. IFE available from the moment you sat down, I was able to watch 4 whole movies during the flight

Preclearance is handy but you get spoiled going through Irish/EU security first, then you have to go strip off and pull out your internal organs to get through to the US Immigration section. Also, we had to wolf down our sandwiches because I forgot you can't take meat through the line. Mmmm, preflight indigestion.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I had a die-cast model of that carrier, complete with space shuttle and fold-away wheels
There's one on display at Johnson Space Center in Houston. Well worth a visit (take the Level 9 VIP Tour for the best experience) if you're ever in TX.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 2:56 pm
I have a comma problem

There's one on display at Johnson Space Center in Houston. Well worth a visit (take the Level 9 VIP Tour for the best experience) if you're ever in TX.
Johnson, and Kennedy are both on my list. I want to see the Saturn V they have down in Johnson as well.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I flew Denver > LHR on a BA 747 last week.

Interior had been upgraded since I last went on one about 18 months ago (yes I'm aware it may not have been the exact plane!).

Definitely a much more comfortable ride but, I do prefer the 787's Norwegian operate on the same route although their departure time makes the flight a red-eye compared to BA's departure time.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 8:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This was posted on Reddit, BA 747 landing in San Diego recently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/co...itish_airways/

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 31st 2019 at 9:02 am.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 10:10 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

We flew YYZ-AMS on a KLM 747-400 Combi in October last year.

Very happy with KLM, and the 747 was a decent enough plane. I'd fly one again.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

The 747 is the reason I'm in the USA. Came in 1967 to work on the 747. First flight in 1969. First delivery R0001 to Pan-Am. Happy days in Seattle.
Green Cards were easier to get back then, the whole family, wife and two infant children. handed our green Cards at immigration on arrival.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 6:21 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We watched a really interesting documentary the other night about the 747. The original idea behind it, the engineers who designed it, getting it to actually fly and how it's being replaced by other planes now.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Flew on one as a toddler from Manchester to Toronto return. Apparently I made my old man walk the whole way with me over his shoulder otherwise I would cry. #WINNING

As for the comments on BA...... I initially thought you were all taking the piss. Although I don't 'hate' them as they're not terrible and they often have cheap from here in Dubai back to Blighty...... but they are far from what I would consider good. Even though IMO Emirates quality has dipped pretty drastically in recent years they're still way ahead of BA. If I had the choice then Etihad, Virgin, KLM and Emirates would all be ahead of BA. That said, If you're comparing BA with any of the American carriers then I suppose they can be considered 5* as they are all awful.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not BA related but 747 related. 50 years ago today the 747 took its first flight.

February 9, 1969.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 8:48 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Can't see the A380 achieving anything like the longevity in service of the 747.
A380 production to cease.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.