Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Old Feb 28th 2020, 7:57 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

OK. No kindle for now. Not sue how my eyeball would like it anyway.

So I finished the God of Small Things and didn't really enjoy or like it that much.

Now on the The 10th Muse , C Chung.

So far it is OK but I find the delivery rather dry and not too engrossing.
Old Feb 28th 2020, 8:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Miss Austen by Gill Hornby.

This novel will probably be most appreciated by readers who know and love Jane Austen’s novels - but who have also studied Austen’s life story, read a few biographies, read her collected letters etc. The “Miss Austen” of the title is Jane’s older sister, Cassandra Austen. The novel is set over twenty years after Jane Austen’s death. Cassandra is staying with a family friend, and finds a trove of Jane’s letters, which of course serve as an introduction to a series of flashbacks which illustrate and explore various aspects of Jane’s life, love affairs etc. Everything in the novel is based on real evidence, mostly intriguingly fragmentary ... because Cassandra saw it as her responsibility to curate Jane’s legacy, which she did by destroying evidence such as letters that demonstrated improper or unladylike behavior by her sister.

I’d highly recommend it. Very sad and moving, but also funny and quite outrageous - a bit like Jane Austen’s novels in fact!
Old Feb 28th 2020, 8:41 pm
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Is that thing diesel? By Paul Carter - the author of Don't tell Mum I work on the rigs. This id his account of riding around Australia on a motorbike running on used chip oil given to him by cafes and roadhouses that he passed on his trip. It's a ripper of a read, the trip made a real mess of him.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I like my old Kindle .. and in fact have just ( inadvertently ) bought two new ones... I also love books, but now reserve my cash for those that deserve it. I have been tempted by some hummers in the past, as my groaning ,overfull bookcase can attest to. I love the fact that I can read a book review ,and then have that book on my e.reader in minutes. Living in Portugal it would normally take days to weeks ( depending on the courier ) to receive it.

I have just finished the highly recommended The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin... It's about four siblings who went to a Romany fortune teller when they were only children. The woman tells each one, separately, the exact date when they will die.A terrible thing to do.as they believe her.Their whole lives are then lived with this knowledge in mind .The eldest one is the only one given a full life to the age of 88 yrs. She becomes a research sicentist in to old age and longevity. The question seems to be posed. .. Is it our health, what we eat etc the secret to long life. Or is it how we live, what we believe to be true, our interaction with family and friends that's more important... A very interesting book
Old Feb 29th 2020, 8:33 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished "See You in September" for my book group. It's about a young English woman who goes to New Zealand and gets caught up with a cult and how it affects her and her family back home.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

I am just finishing(I am juden:undercover in the ss)By Stephen Uzzel.A jew discovers a murdered ss officer and when rifles his pockets discovers that he looks like him.So he smashed his face in changed clothes and took his identity also discovering he was from the same town in poland returned there and took over his apartment and lived as the ss officer then started to help and protect the jews during the war.overall for 99p quite a good book to read on my kindle
Old Mar 10th 2020, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest.
The title pretty much sums it up, a fascinating account of the experiences of the expeditions of 1920s, which ultimately cost Mallory and Irvine their lives in the attempt. All set against the horrors of war which they had endured a short time before.
Great book for anyone even slightly interested in the subject matter

Old Mar 10th 2020, 3:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 View Post
Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest.
The title pretty much sums it up, a fascinating account of the experiences of the expeditions of 1920s, which ultimately cost Mallory and Irvine their lives in the attempt. All set against the horrors of war which they had endured a short time before.
Great book for anyone even slightly interested in the subject matter
Ooh, sounds interesting.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Ooh, sounds interesting.

It is, very!

I particularly enjoy the mad characters that walk from Peking to India across the Gobi desert and arrest themselves in an avalanche with a butterfly net(!)
Old Mar 10th 2020, 5:37 pm
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point

Measuring America by Andro Linklater. A history of both a continent's development and how the West was carved up.
I'd never appreciated that a Welsh-born man still rules the US even today.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 5:40 pm
Cruising through BE

LARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished the rosie project. Now im reading "Twice in a blue moon." Why? I heard the author was good but our local library doesnt have any of her other books so im waiting until they get more.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prit_Buttar

A writer I came across recently. A retired surgeon in the British Army. I am audiolistening to his book on the campaign in East Prussia 1944-1945.

Battleground Prussia: The Assault on Germany's Eastern Front 1944-45. 2010. Osprey Publishing. ISBN9781849081900

Last edited by scot47; Mar 16th 2020 at 3:10 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 5:07 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

,"You never forget your first'
Alexis Coe
A new biography of Washington.
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...by-alexis-coe/
Old Mar 16th 2020, 5:20 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

A quick back read of the thread suggests we are non- fiction weighted, which suits me, although I care little for battle accounts which seem popular.. I can't remember the last time I read a novel.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 10:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
A quick back read of the thread suggests we are non- fiction weighted, which suits me, although I care little for battle accounts which seem popular.. I can't remember the last time I read a novel.
I am reading about the Second World War, but for one specific reason. I’m reading about my father’s campaign. He served in the 15th (Scottish) Division. More widely though, I’ve been fascinated by the historiography of WWII for quite a few years.

Apart from that, most of my reading is novels. I’d have to say that two of my all-time favourites are Amos Oz and Jane Austen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.