Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Old Jan 28th 2020, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
In the U.K at least; you can stand at Hyde Park corner and more or less shout what you want! A form of freedom I suppose. One I agree with; providing it complies with the laws of the country. Should you shout "They don't like it up them' and then add" the ****-ing Germans" or some other group or peoples then that would be wrong wouldn't' it? The line between freedom of speech and abuse, insults and intimidation is often abused.

For what it's worth my idea of freedom is that people and countries are allowed to determine and pursue their own paths without fear from other people or countries. Very fundamental I believe and takes in what I wrote in the first sentence. Over 50 million died for that principle just a short time ago and I think it was worth fighting for, wouldn't you agree? That's freedom.
Well written and said ,i total agree with you.And this should be remembered at this time in history by us all.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

I have just finished(The red road from Stalingrad recollections of a soviet infantryman)The main thing that has stuck in my mind is you were taken to the front line put in a trench with no rifle.You were told to run next to the man with the rifle and when he was shot you had to pick it up and use it yourself. When THE OFFICER put a whistle in his mouth and drew his pistol and blew it you had to charge from the trench if you did not he would shoot you and just for good luck they set machine guns up,if you turned to retreat they would shoot you.Bloody gald i was not around at the time.A good interesting read.
Old Feb 7th 2020, 7:43 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
I have just finished(The red road from Stalingrad recollections of a soviet infantryman)The main thing that has stuck in my mind is you were taken to the front line put in a trench with no rifle.You were told to run next to the man with the rifle and when he was shot you had to pick it up and use it yourself. When THE OFFICER put a whistle in his mouth and drew his pistol and blew it you had to charge from the trench if you did not he would shoot you and just for good luck they set machine guns up,if you turned to retreat they would shoot you.Bloody gald i was not around at the time.A good interesting read.
Sounds interesting. Certainly a contrast with D-Day and the campaign in North Western Europe.

I’ve been reading, selectively, not from beginning to end, The Fifteenth Scottish Division, 1939-1945, by Lieutenant-General H.G. Martin. This was my father’s Division, they landed in Normandy and ended the war in Lubeck.

It’s written in that obscure, heavy style with facetious interludes that is typical of British official military histories of the period, but it is interesting and gratifying when I read something that confirms what I recollect from word of mouth or from the battalion war diaries.
Old Feb 8th 2020, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Sounds interesting. Certainly a contrast with D-Day and the campaign in North Western Europe.

I’ve been reading, selectively, not from beginning to end, The Fifteenth Scottish Division, 1939-1945, by Lieutenant-General H.G. Martin. This was my father’s Division, they landed in Normandy and ended the war in Lubeck.

It’s written in that obscure, heavy style with facetious interludes that is typical of British official military histories of the period, but it is interesting and gratifying when I read something that confirms what I recollect from word of mouth or from the battalion war diaries.
Hi robin1234 you might find this book interesting i did.D day through German eyes .The hidden story june 6th 1944.By Holger Eckhertz
Old Feb 8th 2020, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

When in Spain as I am now I read the list from the Almunecar Womens Group. Just finished The Road Home by Rose Tremain. Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland, Home Fires by Kamila Shamsie and The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony. Nice but sometimes challenging to read other people's choices but it does force you to read out of your comfort zone.
Old Feb 8th 2020, 4:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi robin1234 you might find this book interesting i did.D day through German eyes .The hidden story june 6th 1944.By Holger Eckhertz
Oh, that does sound interesting, thanks for the tip. I’ve read a few war memoirs by Germans, the most fascinating was by a U-Boat captain called Cremer, I’ll try to find the title. One interesting thing about it, he was from Alsace-Lorraine, bilingual French-German, definitely felt he had a foot in both camps ...

Peter-Erich Cremer appeared in the British television documentary, "The World at War" in the early 1970s. Later he recounted his life in his books U-333: The story of a u-boat ace and U-Boat Commander: a periscope view of the Battle of the Atlantic. He died in Hamburg on 5 July 1992.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter-Erich_Cremer

Old Feb 8th 2020, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"The Ministry of Truth" by Dorian Lynskey a history of Orwell's novel "1984" and how it has been receiuved iun the 70 years since Orwell's death

Also several books by Max Hastings on 20th-century History

In fact I no longer read books I listen to the audio.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 6:50 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Animal Farm.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Panzer Destroyer:Memorise of a red army tank commander.By Vasiliy Krysov.I all was thought you were pretty safe in a tank but after reading this book think again.I did not realise the lose of tanks and men it was absolute carnage with massive loss of life.At the beginning of the book when the germans were nearly captured stalingrad the only tank and armoured gun factory was just behind the russian line.Tank crews waited at the end of the production line for their tank jumped in it drove of ten minutes later bang destroyed then run back to the factory and got another one crazy. Some of the battles and brutality are quite something to believe.Please don't get in a tank.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 8:48 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

"The God of Small Things" because I had not read it & it was NZD$3 at a book exchange.

Husband bought me a book , which in NZ is a great and good thing as all books are expensive to buy new, to help aid me rest the ankle.

That is ' The Tenth Muse ' As he is dyslexic he has to go on recommendation . I am hoping for an enjoyable read.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
"The God of Small Things" because I had not read it & it was NZD$3 at a book exchange.

Husband bought me a book , which in NZ is a great and good thing as all books are expensive to buy new, to help aid me rest the ankle.

That is ' The Tenth Muse ' As he is dyslexic he has to go on recommendation . I am hoping for an enjoyable read.
Hi Bev's just a thought why not buy a kindle white light,Then you can go to bookstore on Amazon and buy loads of books for 99p.When i look for books that is my rule the book has to be 99p.Sometimes i am a little devil and i spend 1.45p.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 8:40 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bev's just a thought why not buy a kindle white light,Then you can go to bookstore on Amazon and buy loads of books for 99p.When i look for books that is my rule the book has to be 99p.Sometimes i am a little devil and i spend 1.45p.
Funny you should write that ECK. I'm one that loves the feel of a book. Owning a book. It is treasure to me. However my younger neighbour next door has been singing the praises of her Kobo ( I think that is what it was) It is an e-reader but not the brand name Kindle. She can also access some library books through this thing and of course it is very portable . So I am wrestling my mind around to the idea that I can do both.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 7:19 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Funny you should write that ECK. I'm one that loves the feel of a book. Owning a book. It is treasure to me. However my younger neighbour next door has been singing the praises of her Kobo ( I think that is what it was) It is an e-reader but not the brand name Kindle. She can also access some library books through this thing and of course it is very portable . So I am wrestling my mind around to the idea that I can do both.
NO BEVS. NOOOOOOO!!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!! PLEASE NO!!

I don't want to be the only one left.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 7:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
NO BEVS. NOOOOOOO!!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!! PLEASE NO!!

I don't want to be the only one left.
It'll only ever be traditional books for me, I did get a Kindle a few years ago but it and I didn't get on.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 7:45 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
It'll only ever be traditional books for me, I did get a Kindle a few years ago but it and I didn't get on.
I don't think you're supposed to ride them

They're more like trampolines, aren't they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.