Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Old Nov 15th 2019, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

A woman of no importance. Written by Sonia Purnell. It is about a american woman Virginia Hall unknown to us all i'm sure ,recruited in to the british S.O.E secret service at the start of the second world war.One of the first agents to get in to france and successfully help start the resistance.This book is well written and the history well told, highly recommended.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
A woman of no importance. Written by Sonia Purnell. It is about a american woman Virginia Hall unknown to us all i'm sure ,recruited in to the british S.O.E secret service at the start of the second world war.One of the first agents to get in to france and successfully help start the resistance.This book is well written and the history well told, highly recommended.
... e.c.k.
Married to a Frenchman before occupation.. Lived in a rural part and....??? Parachuted back in. Never caught because of...(something). Features of the typical English Rose. Decorated.
How bad's my memory?
Old Nov 15th 2019, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm re-reading "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac, published in 1957, reckoned to be a sort of early-hippies' bible. I'm blessed with a bad memory for books, which enables me to forget the content while remembering the pleasure it brought me during my first reading. I'm certainly enjoying this book the second time around.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Just about to start "The Silmarillion" for the umpteenth time. I love it and in my opinion it's Tolkiens best work. After that I'm going to read "The Fall of Gondolin" which is an extended chapter of "The Silmarillion" and which my daughter just bought in hardback yesterday....
Old Nov 19th 2019, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
... e.c.k.
Married to a Frenchman before occupation.. Lived in a rural part and....??? Parachuted back in. Never caught because of...(something). Features of the typical English Rose. Decorated.
How bad's my memory?
By eck lad i think you have read the wrong book?well i go to the foot of are stairs
Old Nov 20th 2019, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

By eck lad i think you have read the wrong book?well i go to the foot of are stairs
... 😭
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Gyles Brandreth Breaking the code .i do not give up on many books read 2 chapters and binned it.What a waste of 99 p
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Gyles Brandreth Breaking the code .i do not give up on many books read 2 chapters and binned it.What a waste of 99 p
This book was not99p it was 1.49p even bigger waste of money
The new book is called( The operators on the streets with britain's most secret service )By James Rennie just read three chapters but already riveting.we have just been accepted into the SAS well worth 99p
Old Nov 30th 2019, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve View Post
Robert Mason's, Chickenhawk.
The descent of a human being into the insanity that was the Vietnam War. You can smell the humidity, dirt, and fear from its pages.
I have been a 'war freak' all my life. The Vietnam war has always been of particular interest; maybe because it happened when I was a teenager. Whatever: One book I would highly recommend is HUE 1968 by Mark Bowden. An absolutely incredible account of the battle of Hue during the conflict. Honestly, it makes Chickenhawk sound a stroll in the park and I mean no disrespect to those pilots.
Perhaps you have read it and if so apologise for the recommendation.
Old Nov 30th 2019, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
I have been a 'war freak' all my life. The Vietnam war has always been of particular interest; maybe because it happened when I was a teenager. Whatever: One book I would highly recommend is HUE 1968 by Mark Bowden. An absolutely incredible account of the battle of Hue during the conflict. Honestly, it makes Chickenhawk sound a stroll in the park and I mean no disrespect to those pilots.
Thanks KJMW i have put it on my to buy list.Just looked it up on kindle very good reviews 5star ratings but a bit too pricey for me at the mow.Chickenhawk was a great read also Low level hell is very good to.
Old Nov 30th 2019, 10:50 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished John Le Carré's "Agent running in the field" - brilliant, as always, very topical with some very choice opinions & comments on brexit, Trump, etc!
Old Dec 1st 2019, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
Thanks KJMW, I haven't read it but will add it to my list. I share a bit of your interest in that conflict too, but more about the series of events that lead to it than anything else. I've never been able to understand the logic that said 'having watched a colonial power (France) fail the US can go in and win' .. The "Big-up sell" to a naive US population must have been a work of art.
Also, a very interesting view of events from a female perspective and a civilian is the book, Vietnam and Me by Chris Noel, whose experiences during the war, and right up to date, show the true costs of a lost war.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 4:42 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

I have just finished reading "The Volunteer." It's based on a true story of a Polish guy who volunteered to get himself sent to Auschwitz, to see what was happening there. He then reported back to the Polish underground resistance in Warsaw. The book follows Auschwitz camp from it's early days through to it's development as a part of "The Final Solution", as well as the building of Birkenau. Despite the harrowing nature of the subject, I found it engrossing.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 4:59 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

A Dog's Promise by W Bruce Cameron.

I wanted something reasonably lightweight to simply enjoy. It's a lovely well thought out read about love , care and renewal.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
I have just finished reading "The Volunteer." It's based on a true story of a Polish guy who volunteered to get himself sent to Auschwitz, to see what was happening there. He then reported back to the Polish underground resistance in Warsaw. The book follows Auschwitz camp from it's early days through to it's development as a part of "The Final Solution", as well as the building of Birkenau. Despite the harrowing nature of the subject, I found it engrossing.
Thanks vitalstatistix i have also put this book on my to buy list.The book had 5star review and good feedback.But until the price drops i will have to wait.Was the author Jack Fairweather.

Last edited by el collado kid; Dec 2nd 2019 at 7:49 am. Reason: forgot

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.