British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   Book corner - What are you reading, and Why? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/book-corner-what-you-reading-why-927136/)

BEVS May 4th 2020 11:30 pm

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

I will look it out ECK as MrBEVS might also be interested.

I am currently reading Dog. by Daniel Pennc. It's OK. in that easy holiday read sort of way.

I picked it up via a pop up swap library that has appeared in the village. You can take a book and donate a book. I have donated several.
Very useful when a library is shut, you cannot buy a book and the book exchange shop is closed - oh - and you don't have a book reading thingy.

LARAHTX May 7th 2020 6:13 pm

I’ve just read “Where the crawdads sing.” Now I’m on to reading “Becoming Supernatural.”

I've joined a book club. But I’ve already read the books they’re reading lol.

scot47 May 7th 2020 6:16 pm

I have started Florian Huber "Kind, versprich mir dass du dicj erschiest"

As they ask me in our clinic "How can you read that ? It is in Foreign !"

The book describes documented events in the small town of Demmin in May 1945.

el collado kid May 8th 2020 8:21 am

Rosina Harrison.this was an enjoyable book from both sides,the lady and from the maid.The maid rosina led a good life well looked after by the astor family, and traveld the world.Interesting read.Recommended

kimilseung May 11th 2020 3:33 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12849763)
I have started Florian Huber "Kind, versprich mir dass du dicj erschiest"

As they ask me in our clinic "How can you read that ? It is in Foreign !"

The book describes documented events in the small town of Demmin in May 1945.

Mass German suicide after WW2, sounds a fascinating read. I will have to grab the translation.

el collado kid May 19th 2020 8:09 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12851152)
Mass German suicide after WW2, sounds a fascinating read. I will have to grab the translation.

Yes looks very interesting.I looked for English version but could not find one.I expect it will turn up on kindle sooner or later .

el collado kid May 19th 2020 8:18 am

Robert Woollcombe
Just finished this book.enjoyed the subject but found the writing style strange.Still worth a read

Aimen Dean, Paul Cruickshank, Tim Lister
started this book and it is very interesting reading about the other view i.e a muslum,Very easy to read.At the moment he is sixteen and fighting in Bosnia.I will let you know how it goes.

robin1234 May 19th 2020 8:31 am

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 12855093)
Lion Rampant: The Memoirs of an Infantry Officer from D-Day to the Rhineland
Robert Woollcombe
Just finished this book.enjoyed the subject but found the writing style strange.Still worth a read

Nine Lives: My Time As MI6's Top Spy Inside al-Qaeda
started this book and it is very interesting reading about the other view i.e a muslum,Very easy to read.At the moment he is sixteen and fighting in Bosnia.I will let you know how it goes.

Yes, I agree, Lion Rampant is strange & quite surprising. Half the book is well-written, clear personal narrative about the campaign - it clarifies things, if all one has previously read are official histories or scholarly analyses. The other half of the book is character-sketches of individual people in his company and battalion, in one case a German prisoner, etc. I’m surprised he published this way, as some of those people were probably still alive at the time...

scot47 May 25th 2020 1:09 pm

The book I mentioned will be published in Penguin in October 2020 -

Promise Me You'll Shoot Yourself: The Downfall of Ordinary Germans, 1945 Paperback – 1 Oct. 2020

by (Author)

lizzyq May 25th 2020 9:11 pm

I headed out with my Discworld t-shirt, hardboiled egg and towel. I didn't find truth, justice, freedom or reasonably priced love, but I did find a lilac tree. Thank you for the books Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, you are remembered on Towel Day/Lilac Day.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...374e200f52.jpg

el collado kid May 26th 2020 7:05 am

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12857813)
I headed out with my Discworld t-shirt, hardboiled egg and towel. I didn't find truth, justice, freedom or reasonably priced love, but I did find a lilac tree. Thank you for the books Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, you are remembered on Towel Day/Lilac Day.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...374e200f52.jpg

What does this mean?Is it a special day for something.Just interested and nosy:cool:

lizzyq May 26th 2020 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 12857927)
What does this mean?Is it a special day for something.Just interested and nosy:cool:

Towel Day celebrates the life and works of Douglas Adams, him what wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Lilac Day does the same for Terry Pratchett and somehow they ended up having their celebration days on the same date!

Being a long time reader of both authors and feeling that the world is definitely an emptier place without them, I try to celebrate 25th May each year in my own small way. Unfortunately the lilacs round here are usually done and dusted before then, but this year we had a late cold snap so they were still just in bloom.

el collado kid Jun 10th 2020 8:22 am

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12858065)
Towel Day celebrates the life and works of Douglas Adams, him what wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Lilac Day does the same for Terry Pratchett and somehow they ended up having their celebration days on the same date!

Being a long time reader of both authors and feeling that the world is definitely an emptier place without them, I try to celebrate 25th May each year in my own small way. Unfortunately the lilacs round here are usually done and dusted before then, but this year we had a late cold snap so they were still just in bloom.

I forgot this,I did not know they had days for authors interesting fact thanks lizzq .Do they have a poets day,why i say this is because where i was brought up in Southampton we had an area called poets corner because every road was a poets name.Hence the only reason when at school i knew poets name(fact).

el collado kid Jun 10th 2020 8:29 am

I finished this book last night.I learnt about the Muslim side and how all the trouble really got started which is interesting.But i do not for one minuet understand all the reasons are right.This is about a young boy who went of to fight in the jihad and ended up a spy years later.Very interesting read well recommended.

el collado kid Jun 14th 2020 8:17 am

Originally Posted by CeejaySmiff (Post 12835362)
As you enjoyed that, you might like "The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest". It gives the above story from the perspective of the Russian climber Anatoli Boukreev.

Then, once you are hooked into climbing stories, there is the classic "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson.

Carl.

I nearly finished.(Touching the void)i put it down at 5 this morning they had just got Joe to hospital.this is one of the best books i have read for a long time.It is like watching a great movie, what you do not want to end,griping stuff.Greatly recommended.I have never considered read mountaineering books until i gave(The climb) a go,i will be definitely looking for another.Thanks for the tip Carl:thumb: