Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Old Apr 8th 2020, 8:05 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

One problem of being a kindle user, is that you can not region shop, as not all books are published in electronic format everywhere.
An example being "Awaydays" I saw the movie and was shocked at how close the story was to my life. Working class lad on Merseyside, in to football, goes to Art School, has a bunch of friends from more lumpen backgrounds, who will never go to college because of their background, despite their brains and creativity. So spot on that it had the character wearing a coat I had worn in a bar I had drunk in. I did import the hard copy but never got around to reading it. My eyes just find it tedious after a short while.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi robin.Just looked on amazon for kindle 2.48 i put the wrong title in i'll go back later and look properly.Just do not know how i got the wrong title?
Old Apr 9th 2020, 10:00 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Hi robin.Just looked on amazon for kindle 2.48 i put the wrong title in i'll go back later and look properly.Just do not know how i got the wrong title?
There are several books called Lion Rampant, so that’s a slight complication. The more I read it, the more I like it. He alternates chapters describing battles and other events with chapters where he talks about his fellow-soldiers - and he spends time on NCOs and privates, as well as the officers. I feel it really gives insights into the British Army of the period.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Originally Posted by CeejaySmiff View Post
As you enjoyed that, you might like "The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest". It gives the above story from the perspective of the Russian climber Anatoli Boukreev.

Then, once you are hooked into climbing stories, there is the classic "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson.

Carl.
Thanks Carl i will be going on amazon in a minute and look at the books.I co remember the climb which is also mentioned in the book i read.I believe anatoli boukreev is now dead,Thanks for the tip on the books i will look for them.Cheers
Old Apr 9th 2020, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I’m about halfway through this book now.

Robert Woollcombe
Lion Rampant
The Memoirs of an Infantry Officer from D-Day to the Rhineland.

Max Hastings blurb on the cover of the book;
”One of the most vivid personal memoirs of the Second World War. Few writers have bettered his description of the experiences of front line infantrymen under the stress of battle.”

I’d agree with the above, it’s breathtakingly immediate and shocking. The author was in his early twenties, and lived for many years, but I can’t see that he ever published anything else. He should have, he’s a great writer! But I guess he just had one book in him ..

I’m reading it for this particular reason. He was in the same division as my father, the Fifteenth Scottish Division. (“The Lion Rampant.”) They were in different battalions, but within a few miles of each other (or closer) for the whole campaign. In researching my father’s campaign, I have available the divisional history, the regimental history, and the battalion war diaries - all of which are dry and laconic. This personal memoir covers the same, familiar, battles, villages, river crossings etc, but fleshes it out in a readable & shocking fashion.
Originally Posted by CeejaySmiff View Post
As you enjoyed that, you might like "The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest". It gives the above story from the perspective of the Russian climber Anatoli Boukreev.

Then, once you are hooked into climbing stories, there is the classic "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson.

Carl.
Hi robin i have just bought the book 5star wright up,s kindle version 2.84p made my eyes water a little,thanks for the recommendation
Hi carl i brought touching the wind, 5 star ratings to and wright up's this book kindle version 99p
The book,The climb, good write ups but was 6.49p and made my eyes water a lot, so i will keep my eyes on it and when it drops in price i will buy it.Thanks for the recommendation too.
Old Apr 15th 2020, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I finished the Cheerful sacrifice last night.The book about the battle of arras 1917 one hundred and three years ago last weekend .Some of the history i did not know,I found this book a fascinating read and learnt something which must be good. I would recommend this book to every one just to learn of the real sacrifice these men made for king and country.But what a price they paid for it,at times made me sad and and angry,and i can now see why the world changed!
Old Apr 15th 2020, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

The new book which seems good.Night song of the last tram.A Glasgow childhood .By Robert Douglas
A good start and a lot of och the noo's i'll let you know how it goes
Old Apr 19th 2020, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Night song of the tram:a Glasgow childhood.By Robert Douglas.this is the first time i have read a book with a Scottish accent.it is an easy book to read with not a lot of upset until his mother dies.This is about a boys life in Glasgow from 5 to 16 years old.If you want something light and peaceful to read this is it.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Operation Jihadi Bride: My Covert Mission to Rescue Young Women from ISIS - The Incredible True Story Operation Jihadi Bride: My Covert Mission to Rescue Young Women from ISIS - The Incredible True Story
John Carney, Clifford Thurlow
A good easy read although got lost a couple of times,Or fell asleep?To read some first hand experience of the treatment of women and children,western or local is not nice.These people got quite a few westerners out in the midst of battle enjoyable quick read 99p on my kindle
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

JAILBIRDS: Real-life Stories from a Women's Prison JAILBIRDS: Real-life Stories from a Women's Prison
Mim Skinner
Kindle Edition
I started this book last night.I will let you know how i get on
Old Apr 28th 2020, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Finished jailbirds last night bit of a trudge really.I will give this book the bird.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service The Lady's Maid: My Life in Service
Rosina Harrison.i started this last night,she was lady astors personal maid, great start. i'll see how it goes.
Orange Is the New Black: My Time in a Women's Prison Orange Is the New Black: My Time in a Women's Prison
Piper Kerman.this book of an american girl doing time is abetter book of women in prison, i read this some time a go a good read.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 3:24 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else doing the Zoom book club thing, since lock down?
i have two of them.
Old Apr 29th 2020, 2:21 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I finished the Snowing in Bali book. Bit hard to settle to read with MrBEVS home due to lockdown. Glad I hadn't read it before we visited Bali. Would've kinda spoilt the place for me.

May start reading The Dog or perhaps The Darkest Hour. Depends on my mood .
Old Apr 29th 2020, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Marching Powder: A True Story of a British Drug Smuggler In a Bolivian Jail (The Pan Real Lives Series Book 6) Marching Powder: A True Story of a British Drug Smuggler In a Bolivian Jail (The Pan Real Lives Series Book 6)
Rusty Young
Thought you might be interested in this bevs i read this in 2014 very good book.
I was interested in Snowing in bali book, 5star ratings on kindle but 4.99p to rich for me i will look out for it when the price drops, ta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.