British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   Book corner - What are you reading, and Why? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/book-corner-what-you-reading-why-927136/)

007Steve Aug 11th 2019 12:13 pm

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Since I persist with this activity (considered downright suspicious these days in Britain), I thought it might be good to have a quiet Expat thread to swap titles. Mine are -
The Planning of Roman Road and Walls by John Poulter - Very interesting, especially the techniques used for those straight roads
Hadrian: Empire and conflict by Thorsten Opper - Ah, so that's the derivation of Plot.

Shush!.... No talking or loud noises in the Book corner.....

The Rushman Aug 11th 2019 9:51 pm

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?

Just finished "The strange death of Europe" by Douglas Murray.
Very uncomfortable reading.

Just started "Sapiens .. A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari.

Page 9 so no opinions yet.

The Rushman Aug 13th 2019 12:42 am

I see the B.E literary group is ****ing rammed with members.

BEVS Aug 13th 2019 4:46 am

I have two books on the go at the present time.

One is As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee. I re-read this because I love his words. Cider with Rosie is an all time read for me.

The other is Journeys to the Other Side of the World. David Attenborough. That was bought for me by MrBEVS. I find it insightful.

007Steve Aug 13th 2019 6:43 am

Originally Posted by The Rushman (Post 12722378)

I blame Saintsbury's & Tesco coffee shops in the UK. Instead of comics like the Sun, etc. they should put text books by the tables. Self education :nod:
Stress Factors in Non- Ferrous Metals is a riveting read
(Waitrose of course does Country Life).

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12722406)
I have two books on the go at the present time.
One is As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee. I re-read this because I love his words. Cider with Rosie is an all time read for me.
The other is Journeys to the Other Side of the World. David Attenborough. That was bought for me by MrBEVS. I find it insightful.

Sounds interesting I'll look out for it Bevs. We gentlemen of foreign parts have to take what we can find in the foreign books box in PT charity shops ;)

Red Eric Aug 13th 2019 6:45 am

Originally Posted by The Rushman (Post 12722378)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...65b25f3865.png

BEVS Aug 13th 2019 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12722420)

Stobbit !

Add or die by book press Red Eric

I scour 2nd hand shops here in NZ too. The price of books here is beyond the pale so the choice can be quite difficult at times.

I'd send you the book 007Steve but the postage cost is also prohibitive. Are you more interesting in fiction , non-fiction , classics or any old thing.

Where is Scot47? I think he reads good stuff.

Bipat Aug 13th 2019 9:17 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12722422)
Stobbit !

Add or die by book press Red Eric

I scour 2nd hand shops here in NZ too. The price of books here is beyond the pale so the choice can be quite difficult at times.

I'd send you the book 007Steve but the postage cost is also prohibitive. Are you more interesting in fiction , non-fiction , classics or any old thing.

AbeBooks (2nd hand) has a vast number of shops on their list mainly Uk but also USA and India. I don't know if they send to NZ though, same with Amazon Kindle (free classics).
(I collect all my old book titles, that my mother gave away to my cousin when I went to college!!)

Red Eric Aug 13th 2019 12:59 pm

I'm reading Spike Milligan's Mussolini : His Part in My Downfall.

Bit of a hectic style but very good in small doses, so I'm looking forward to the remainder (which is most of it). Been on my shelves for such a long time I can't actually remember whether I've read it before.

Before that, Alan Bennett's Smut, a pair of long short stories or short novels, both very readable as Bennett always is (I was actually after a more recent set of diaries, having immensely enjoyed Writing Home years ago but nothing available in the Waterstone's I visited so made do with this) and John Williams' Stoner, which I found intriguing. An excellent, if rather melancholy read.

Hawkmoon77 Aug 13th 2019 8:11 pm

I'm reading "Celtic Myth and Magick" by Edain McCoy.

I bought it 2nd hand at a market & am finding it very interesting

caretaker Aug 13th 2019 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12722531)
I'm reading Spike Milligan's Mussolini : His Part in My Downfall.

I loved the whole series, (cue Gunner Edgington on the 88mm piano).

007Steve Aug 14th 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12722422)

I'm a bit of subject butterfly tbh. I tend to major around history since that sets the environment for all our lives and helps with self education. Recently I've been reading about the affects of the Great Plague and subsequent societal changes. Then I'll hop back to English Law and it's fixation for severe penalties for property crime leading to the transportation era, (you could be transported for any theft over 7 /- value ) then a little light diversion into Great Expectations for the accuracy of the prison hulks descriptions - 30% could die before they set sail. Now I'm well into Roman fortification techniques, and the history of the Vietnam War.
All non fiction stuff really.

Leslie Aug 16th 2019 6:30 pm

I've almost finished The Knife which is Jo Nesbo's latest addition to the Harry Hole series. It's fantastic and I don't want it to ever end. This is the first book I've ever order "pre-release" because I was so freaking excited about it.

Why?

Nesbo's writing is brilliant, he's funny and poetic. I've read just about everything he's written other than a couple that I need to go back to fill in the gaps. I worship the police-crime-drama-detective genre as a general obsession.

I've mostly exhausted all of my favorite British writers of the genre so if you have any to recommend, I'm all ears.

Bipat Aug 16th 2019 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12723834)
I've almost finished The Knife which is Jo Nesbo's latest addition to the Harry Hole series. It's fantastic and I don't want it to ever end. This is the first book I've ever order "pre-release" because I was so freaking excited about it.

Why?

Nesbo's writing is brilliant, he's funny and poetic. I've read just about everything he's written other than a couple that I need to go back to fill in the gaps. I worship the police-crime-drama-detective genre as a general obsession.

I've mostly exhausted all of my favorite British writers of the genre so if you have any to recommend, I'm all ears.

Anne Cleeves, Elly Griffiths, Caroline Graham-----don't watch the TV versions!!
I am re-reading some Dorothy Sayers and Ngaio Marsh.

Dorothy Aug 16th 2019 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12723834)

Why?

I'd never heard of Jo Nesbo but just had a look at the reviews of his books. Now I have to go to the bookshop this morning and pick up a couple to take on holiday with me. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Leslie Aug 16th 2019 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12723912)
I'd never heard of Jo Nesbo but just had a look at the reviews of his books. Now I have to go to the bookshop this morning and pick up a couple to take on holiday with me. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Yay!!! I hope you love his stuff as much as I do. :heart:

Leslie Aug 16th 2019 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12723857)
Anne Cleeves, Elly Griffiths, Caroline Graham-----don't watch the TV versions!!
I am re-reading some Dorothy Sayers and Ngaio Marsh.

Elly Griffiths is new to me --- I'll give her a whirl. :starsmile:

el collado kid Aug 19th 2019 7:42 am

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12721656)
Since I persist with this activity (considered downright suspicious these days in Britain), I thought it might be good to have a quiet Expat thread to swap titles. Mine are -
The Planning of Roman Road and Walls by John Poulter - Very interesting, especially the techniques used for those straight roads
Hadrian: Empire and conflict by Thorsten Opper - Ah, so that's the derivation of Plot.

Shush!.... No talking or loud noises in the Book corner.....

hi all . i,ve nearly finished emmeline pankhurst we all know what the suffrage's did.the but by reading the book i learnt what the police and government of the day did. good read, the book i would like to recommend is brian blessed (absolute pandemonium) a really good read

007Steve Oct 12th 2019 6:54 am

Robert Mason's, Chickenhawk.
The descent of a human being into the insanity that was the Vietnam War. You can smell the humidity, dirt, and fear from its pages.

el collado kid Oct 12th 2019 7:34 am

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12747279)
Robert Mason's, Chickenhawk.
The descent of a human being into the insanity that was the Vietnam War. You can smell the humidity, dirt, and fear from its pages.

I have read Chickenhawk twice once many years ago and again last year.Since then i have red may books on Vietnam a fascinating subject i am glad to only read about it and not have taken part.I am currently reading(Rise and kill first) by Ronen Bergman) it is about Israels targeted assassinations and their on going fight with the PLO and the like quite an eye opener.

BEVS Oct 14th 2019 3:07 am

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" Michael Caine.

It is interesting enough as it tells of his determination to succeed as an actor and his methods to ensure he did and does. He really is someone with grit and focus.

What I'm kind of getting over is all the name dropping. I realise he has spent his life in these circles but that bit is a little tedious now.

007Steve Oct 14th 2019 7:49 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12747887)
It is interesting enough as it tells of his determination to succeed as an actor and his methods to ensure he did and does. He really is someone with grit and focus.
What I'm kind of getting over is all the name dropping. I realise he has spent his life in these circles but that bit is a little tedious now.

:nod: It's the same in his 'What's it all about' book. But then, afterwards, it made me realise that for performers it's as required for their lifestyle as breathing is for we grunts; - he's not so much showing off, as 'keeping his Brand'.
I've only encountered these types once but I came away with the definite impression that their work & lifestyles firstly conditions them into deep insecurity (at whatever level they reach), and secondly forms a fiercely protective shell or Brand - the image that they live within. It must be a peculiar mental balancing act.

BristolUK Oct 14th 2019 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12747964)
:nod: It's the same in his 'What's it all about' book. But then, afterwards, it made me realise that for performers it's as required for their lifestyle as breathing is for we grunts...

Similar with Avril Lavigne.
Originally hitched up with Sum 41's Deryck Whibley and then Nickelback's Chad Kroeger. Not just in the same biz and lead vocal but all Canadian too. :nod:

In between she did have a fling with an actor/dj but he was American so they didn't marry. :lol:

GeniB Oct 14th 2019 3:50 pm

Bloody Brilliant Women by Cathy Newman

it catalogues the many, many MANY women through the ages who have done amazing things, been responsible for some of the major achievements in our human history,Created vitally important changes, Refused to just shut up and breed:eek: YET remain largely unknown, unsung, forgotten by history. Why? because history is largely written by men.
I can hear the sighs of 'Oh god another feminist rant' but its not so... many were vehemently anti feminist in fact.Just very clever people ..who happened to be women..
.I'm still shocked by the last book I read where the female doctor author informed me that in 2019 virtually nothing was known about how women's bodies work. We are treated as if we were men. despite the medical world knowing for years that we have a different biological makeup... right down to our basic cells...Its like saying 'lets give this Lioness birdseed, and see how she gets on' Duhhhhhh :eek:

Expatrick Oct 14th 2019 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12748196)

it catalogues the many, many MANY women through the ages who have done amazing things, been responsible for some of the major achievements in our human history,Created vitally important changes, Refused to just shut up and breed:eek: YET remain largely unknown, unsung, forgotten by history. Why? because history is largely written by men.

Sorry, GeniB, you are wrong, the sad fact is that modern feminists often disregard & discount the amazing achievements of women through history.

GeniB Oct 14th 2019 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12748219)
Sorry, GeniB, you are wrong, the sad fact is that modern feminists often disregard & discount the amazing achievements of women through history.

Explain your comment Expatrick.. which 'feminists' are those who have ' disregarded or discounted' other women achievements .

Expatrick Oct 15th 2019 6:59 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12748367)
Explain your comment Expatrick.. which 'feminists' are those who have ' disregarded or discounted' other women achievements .

Take aviation as an example. As soon as aircraft were off the ground hundreds of remarkable women took to the skies, performing amazing feats of skil & endurance in difficult conditions with primitive machines. Today we have "emulators" whose "mission" is to inspire, doing the same - only its not, due to modern equipment, chase planes, etc, etc, often giving the impression that they are doing something remarkable.

In this vein, and bringing us back to topic, you may care to read Beryl Markham's "West with the night" which includes the story of her solo transatlantic flight.

For me, right now, have just finished "The cut out girl" by Bart Van Es - recommended.

GeniB Oct 15th 2019 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12748530)
Take aviation as an example. As soon as aircraft were off the ground hundreds of remarkable women took to the skies, performing amazing feats of skil & endurance in difficult conditions with primitive machines. Today we have "emulators" whose "mission" is to inspire, doing the same - only its not, due to modern equipment, chase planes, etc, etc, often giving the impression that they are doing something remarkable.

In this vein, and bringing us back to topic, you may care to read Beryl Markham's "West with the night" which includes the story of her solo transatlantic flight.

For me, right now, have just finished "The cut out girl" by Bart Van Es - recommended.

:confused:

007Steve Oct 16th 2019 8:03 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12748196)

I can hear the sighs of 'Oh god another feminist rant' but its not so... many were vehemently anti feminist in fact.Just very clever people ..who happened to be women..
.I'm still shocked by the last book I read where the female doctor author informed me that in 2019 virtually nothing was known about how women's bodies work. We are treated as if we were men. despite the medical world knowing for years that we have a different biological makeup... right down to our basic cells...Its like saying 'lets give this Lioness birdseed, and see how she gets on' Duhhhhhh :eek:

.... :ohmy: Not a single reference to brave and defiant women such as Emily Hobhouse or Elise Hampel.... I wonder if she had it ghost-written for her Geni.... :blink:

The Rushman Oct 16th 2019 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12747887)

I started to read that but gave up halfway through for exactly the same reason, the name dropping.

BristolUK Oct 16th 2019 9:10 pm

Elton John's latest autobiography is reported to be a lot of fun.

Expatrick Oct 17th 2019 10:34 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12749538)
Elton John's latest autobiography is reported to be a lot of fun.

Was there an earlier version?

BristolUK Oct 17th 2019 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12749763)
Was there an earlier version?

I must have had a senior moment or something. I could have sworn the Guardian's review of "Me" contained a reference to an earlier autobiography but I've just re-read it and I see nothing to suggest that. :o

GeniB Oct 17th 2019 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12749120)
.... :ohmy: Not a single reference to brave and defiant women such as Emily Hobhouse or Elise Hampel.... I wonder if she had it ghost-written for her Geni.... :blink:

Maybe because many in the establishment felt that Emily Hobhouse was a traitor in supporting the Boers ,even thought she did it for humanitarian reasons ( which I would personally have agreed with )
Elise Hampel was German so probable didn't qualify for a book about British women

el collado kid Oct 31st 2019 9:04 am

Low level hell. A book about a scout helicopter pilot in Vietnam.Their job was to fly low to encourage the enemy to shoot at them so the Apache killer helicopters could locate them. Fasinating read.

BEVS Nov 1st 2019 4:36 am

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 12756892)
Low level hell. A book about a scout helicopter pilot in Vietnam.Their job was to fly low to encourage the enemy to shoot at them so the Apache killer helicopters could locate them. Fasinating read.

I might have a go at that if I can find it anywhere.

About to read The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth .
Hopefully and simply for possible entertainment value within the pages. My MIL was such that I renamed her Smother-In-Law . May she RIP but honestly she was a trial to my patience, wit and heart.

stevenglish1 Nov 1st 2019 8:08 am

The guvnor, autobiography of Lenny McLean. Barry the Baptist in lock stock. A genuinely hard man physically and mentally. Makes you appreciate your upbringing too, his stepfather was knocking him about from age 5, his dad died at 28, his mum at 42. Great book.

el collado kid Nov 1st 2019 8:46 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12757478)
I might have a go at that if I can find it anywhere.

About to read The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth .
Hopefully and simply for possible entertainment value within the pages. My MIL was such that I renamed her Smother-In-Law . May she RIP but honestly she was a trial to my patience, wit and heart.

Bought on kindle books

el collado kid Nov 1st 2019 9:00 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 12757518)
The guvnor, autobiography of Lenny McLean. Barry the Baptist in lock stock. A genuinely hard man physically and mentally. Makes you appreciate your upbringing too, his stepfather was knocking him about from age 5, his dad died at 28, his mum at 42. Great book.

I read this book quite a while ago and would recommend it to every one i read it in a few nights.Their used to be a bloke who lived in the same city as me he just like McLean a known sorter outer.When i was an apprentice he turned up on site i was on i told him i knew him he lived near my nan we became sort of friends and he said to me, you need me nipper you know where i am i did once he took care of it no more prob,s.a hard man . But a softy at heart he used to dress up as farther Christmas and hand Christmas presents out to the kids in the streets and did a lot of charity work

007Steve Nov 1st 2019 4:20 pm

Moneyland, by Oliver Bullough - recently published by Profile Books,

If you've lived by the Rules and by 'playing the game' but find it increasingly difficult to keep your temper these days, or your living standard, then DON'T-READ-THIS-BOOK.
Seriously.