British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   Book corner - What are you reading, and Why? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/book-corner-what-you-reading-why-927136/)

007Steve Aug 11th 2019 12:13 pm

Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 
Since I persist with this activity (considered downright suspicious these days in Britain), I thought it might be good to have a quiet Expat thread to swap titles. Mine are -
The Planning of Roman Road and Walls by John Poulter - Very interesting, especially the techniques used for those straight roads
Hadrian: Empire and conflict by Thorsten Opper - Ah, so that's the derivation of Plot.

Shush!.... No talking or loud noises in the Book corner.....

The Rushman Aug 11th 2019 9:51 pm

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 
Just finished "The strange death of Europe" by Douglas Murray.
Very uncomfortable reading.

Just started "Sapiens .. A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari.

Page 9 so no opinions yet.

The Rushman Aug 13th 2019 12:42 am

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 
I see the B.E literary group is ****ing rammed with members.

BEVS Aug 13th 2019 4:46 am

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 
I have two books on the go at the present time.

One is As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee. I re-read this because I love his words. Cider with Rosie is an all time read for me.

The other is Journeys to the Other Side of the World. David Attenborough. That was bought for me by MrBEVS. I find it insightful.

007Steve Aug 13th 2019 6:43 am

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 

Originally Posted by The Rushman (Post 12722378)
I see the B.E literary group is ****ing rammed with members.

I blame Saintsbury's & Tesco coffee shops in the UK. Instead of comics like the Sun, etc. they should put text books by the tables. Self education :nod:
Stress Factors in Non- Ferrous Metals is a riveting read
(Waitrose of course does Country Life).

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12722406)
I have two books on the go at the present time.
One is As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee. I re-read this because I love his words. Cider with Rosie is an all time read for me.
The other is Journeys to the Other Side of the World. David Attenborough. That was bought for me by MrBEVS. I find it insightful.

Sounds interesting I'll look out for it Bevs. We gentlemen of foreign parts have to take what we can find in the foreign books box in PT charity shops ;)

Red Eric Aug 13th 2019 6:45 am

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 

Originally Posted by The Rushman (Post 12722378)
I see the B.E literary group is ****ing rammed with members.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...65b25f3865.png



BEVS Aug 13th 2019 6:53 am

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12722420)

Stobbit !

Add or die by book press Red Eric

I scour 2nd hand shops here in NZ too. The price of books here is beyond the pale so the choice can be quite difficult at times.

I'd send you the book 007Steve but the postage cost is also prohibitive. Are you more interesting in fiction , non-fiction , classics or any old thing.

Where is Scot47? I think he reads good stuff.


Bipat Aug 13th 2019 9:17 am

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12722422)
Stobbit !

Add or die by book press Red Eric

I scour 2nd hand shops here in NZ too. The price of books here is beyond the pale so the choice can be quite difficult at times.

I'd send you the book 007Steve but the postage cost is also prohibitive. Are you more interesting in fiction , non-fiction , classics or any old thing.

Where is Scot47? I think he reads good stuff.

AbeBooks (2nd hand) has a vast number of shops on their list mainly Uk but also USA and India. I don't know if they send to NZ though, same with Amazon Kindle (free classics).
(I collect all my old book titles, that my mother gave away to my cousin when I went to college!!)

Red Eric Aug 13th 2019 12:59 pm

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 
I'm reading Spike Milligan's Mussolini : His Part in My Downfall.

Bit of a hectic style but very good in small doses, so I'm looking forward to the remainder (which is most of it). Been on my shelves for such a long time I can't actually remember whether I've read it before.

Before that, Alan Bennett's Smut, a pair of long short stories or short novels, both very readable as Bennett always is (I was actually after a more recent set of diaries, having immensely enjoyed Writing Home years ago but nothing available in the Waterstone's I visited so made do with this) and John Williams' Stoner, which I found intriguing. An excellent, if rather melancholy read.

Hawkmoon77 Aug 13th 2019 8:11 pm

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 
I'm reading "Celtic Myth and Magick" by Edain McCoy.

I bought it 2nd hand at a market & am finding it very interesting

caretaker Aug 13th 2019 8:17 pm

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12722531)
I'm reading Spike Milligan's Mussolini : His Part in My Downfall.

I loved the whole series, (cue Gunner Edgington on the 88mm piano).


007Steve Aug 14th 2019 8:15 am

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12722422)
I scour 2nd hand shops here in NZ too. The price of books here is beyond the pale so the choice can be quite difficult at times.
I'd send you the book 007Steve but the postage cost is also prohibitive. Are you more interesting in fiction , non-fiction , classics or any old thing.
Where is Scot47? I think he reads good stuff.

I'm a bit of subject butterfly tbh. I tend to major around history since that sets the environment for all our lives and helps with self education. Recently I've been reading about the affects of the Great Plague and subsequent societal changes. Then I'll hop back to English Law and it's fixation for severe penalties for property crime leading to the transportation era, (you could be transported for any theft over 7 /- value ) then a little light diversion into Great Expectations for the accuracy of the prison hulks descriptions - 30% could die before they set sail. Now I'm well into Roman fortification techniques, and the history of the Vietnam War.
All non fiction stuff really.

Leslie Aug 16th 2019 6:30 pm

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 
I've almost finished The Knife which is Jo Nesbo's latest addition to the Harry Hole series. It's fantastic and I don't want it to ever end. This is the first book I've ever order "pre-release" because I was so freaking excited about it.

Why?

Nesbo's writing is brilliant, he's funny and poetic. I've read just about everything he's written other than a couple that I need to go back to fill in the gaps. I worship the police-crime-drama-detective genre as a general obsession.

I've mostly exhausted all of my favorite British writers of the genre so if you have any to recommend, I'm all ears.

Bipat Aug 16th 2019 7:31 pm

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12723834)
I've almost finished The Knife which is Jo Nesbo's latest addition to the Harry Hole series. It's fantastic and I don't want it to ever end. This is the first book I've ever order "pre-release" because I was so freaking excited about it.

Why?

Nesbo's writing is brilliant, he's funny and poetic. I've read just about everything he's written other than a couple that I need to go back to fill in the gaps. I worship the police-crime-drama-detective genre as a general obsession.

I've mostly exhausted all of my favorite British writers of the genre so if you have any to recommend, I'm all ears.

Anne Cleeves, Elly Griffiths, Caroline Graham-----don't watch the TV versions!!
I am re-reading some Dorothy Sayers and Ngaio Marsh.

Dorothy Aug 16th 2019 10:16 pm

Re: Book corner - What are you reading, and Why?
 

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12723834)
I've almost finished The Knife which is Jo Nesbo's latest addition to the Harry Hole series. It's fantastic and I don't want it to ever end. This is the first book I've ever order "pre-release" because I was so freaking excited about it.

Why?

Nesbo's writing is brilliant, he's funny and poetic. I've read just about everything he's written other than a couple that I need to go back to fill in the gaps. I worship the police-crime-drama-detective genre as a general obsession.

I've mostly exhausted all of my favorite British writers of the genre so if you have any to recommend, I'm all ears.

I'd never heard of Jo Nesbo but just had a look at the reviews of his books. Now I have to go to the bookshop this morning and pick up a couple to take on holiday with me. Thanks for the recommendation :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:06 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.