Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Bevs' Albatross Cam

Bevs' Albatross Cam

Old Sep 28th 2021, 5:26 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevs' Albatross Cam

Someone may be interested in this - or not of course .

There has been a previous Royal Northern fledgling(s) tracking effort back in 2007. This was Toroa's year. It shows the tracking for 3 chicks. Opens as a pdf file.

I've met Lyndon Perriman who is mentioned in the paper. Over the decades he was pivotal in nurturing the NZ colony and raising awareness.

Movements after fledgingduring the first 2 weeks after fledging, the 3 juveniles flew north-east off Taiaroa Head, staying within 150 km of the New Zealand coastline over the coastal continental shelf before heading east towards the Chatham Rise (Fig. 2). The maximum depth of the ocean in this region is 1000 m. F1 and m2 then veered north of the Chatham Rise into deeper oceanic waters (up to 4000 m), whilst m1 continued towards the Chatham Is, reaching to within 20 km of the coast. F1 and m1 stayed within 650 km of the New Zealand coast for 15 and 19 days, respectively (Table 1), before undertaking a direct easterly migration. m2 remained within approximately 350 km of the New Zealand coast for 46 days before beginning its direct easterly migration.
Migration
Upon leaving the coastal area of New Zealand all 3 albatrosses flew east across the Southern Ocean in a corridor between 34°S and 48°S. F1 and m1 flew directly across with no backtracking. m2, however, appeared to back-track up to 450 km on 2 occasions (Fig. 1). It took 18, 16 and 34 days for F1, m1 and m2, respectively, to cross the ocean. The maximum daily distance (and fastest speed in parentheses) attained during this stage were recorded at 730 km (110 km h-1), 1047 km (109 km h-1) and 534 km (105 km h-1) for F1, m1 and m2, respectively (Table 1). maximum altitudes recorded during this stage ranged from 36 to 38 m a.s.l. (Table 1). With the exception of altitude for m2, for all 3 albatrosses, speed, altitude and average daily distance were greater during migration than during both fledging and foraging (Fig. 3). Throughout the tracking period, the albatrosses flew at speeds over 80 km h-1 only 3% of the time, with more than half of these higher speeds occurring during migration.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 1:33 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
She has.

She will head ip the east coast for a short while maybe to get a feel for her sea legs and water based take offs. There is a deep trench off the coastline of Kaikputa which eould make for a hood yougster feeding ground before the long flight to South America.

Is that the trench?
edit; upon re-reading your post I see she still has to go north, and I see it isn't that destination.

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 29th 2021 at 1:46 am.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 4:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

She's really moving!

Old Oct 4th 2021, 3:54 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

++Breaking Albie News++

OGK is back ! Dad to Pippa, grandad to SStrig, and a mighty legend in his own time.

So incredibly pleased to see him. 🤩
Old Oct 4th 2021, 4:00 am
Somewhere

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
She's really moving!
She will be moving more than that once she is ready for the off.
Cannot locate my copy so nicked this one. It tracks Toroa and 2 other fledgling albatross on their maiden migration.

Old Oct 17th 2021, 10:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

She will be moving more than that once she is ready for the off.
No kidding!
https://my.wildlifecomputers.com/dat...af59139976bcfe
Old Oct 17th 2021, 11:34 pm
Somewhere

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
She has found the wind beneath her amazing wings Caretaker.

Safe journey young albatross. I would like to see you return in the years to come

Old Oct 19th 2021, 2:27 am
Somewhere

Chris is currently live from the observatory. There is a link

Old Oct 19th 2021, 2:33 am
Somewhere

Chris is currently live from the observatory. There is a link

A Link hopefully to help
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 3:03 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Any ideas why Tiaki would cut back 360 miles to the WNW in a nearly straight line? I thought possibly she found a good food source and decided to drift and stock up. If it was a bad storm or something I would expect a squiggly track. I'll check for mention of it on the forum.

Edit: And now I know; it's probably an error in the GPS tracking.
Sharyn Broni explains: Thanks for posting I suspect that the apparent westerly direction could have been a result of an error to the right overlapping an error to the left. We are still only getting approximate reading at the moment.

Last edited by caretaker; Oct 22nd 2021 at 3:08 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 1:18 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Just about day 69 now, and she seems to have established a routine:

Old Nov 25th 2021, 5:57 am
Somewhere

Posting this as I know some of you do follow the albatross but may not have seen about the new virtual tour thing.

Really it is because of the pandemic and all that but you can now pay and book a virtual tour with the Albatross Centre. It would be like being just there without being there. Able to ask questions and also see the albies as any actual visitor might see them.

I am not affiliated and gain nothing from the share other than sharing my interest. I'm thinking of booking as it is a good couple of days drive down there and this way I can get to really check in with someone in the know.

M
Old Nov 25th 2021, 4:16 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Posting this as I know some of you do follow the albatross but may not have seen about the new virtual tour thing.

Really it is because of the pandemic and all that but you can now pay and book a virtual tour with the Albatross Centre. It would be like being just there without being there. Able to ask questions and also see the albies as any actual visitor might see them.

I am not affiliated and gain nothing from the share other than sharing my interest. I'm thinking of booking as it is a good couple of days drive down there and this way I can get to really check in with someone in the know.

M
Looks to be interesting, let us know your thoughts if you decide to go for it.