Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Bevs' Albatross Cam

Bevs' Albatross Cam

Old Feb 9th 2020, 1:00 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bevs' Albatross Cam

Waiting for little Eggbert to fledge. Is there a naming contest for this one?
Old Feb 9th 2020, 3:14 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bevs' Albatross Cam

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Waiting for little Eggbert to fledge. Is there a naming contest for this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9XN...&feature=ytmp4
Lovely footage

BEVS must be having a break from BE, I can't contact her through the PM system. I hope she comes back after a much deserved rest, she's very much missed.

A naming contest would be great, hopefully BEVS will be back to do that before the 'little' one spreads its wings.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 10:34 am
Mask wearer

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
A naming contest would be great, hopefully BEVS will be back to do that before the 'little' one spreads its wings.
I suggest the name 'Albert Ross'
Old Feb 9th 2020, 11:23 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

These are fascinating birds; wings 10' across and they can fly 70 mph. The effort expended to help them survive is incredible as well, but according to the Royal Albatross Centre, they bring in $100 million in tourism dollars.
https://albatross.org.nz/8114-2/
Old Feb 9th 2020, 3:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I became aware of a place I never knew existed a few weeks ago. Gough Island in the South Atlantic. It’s a remote island just a few hundred miles from Tristan da Cunha (which, I guess, is itself fairly remote.)

RSPB are involved in an initiative to eradicate the (invasive) house mouse, which unfortunately eats birds eggs and actually nibbles at, and kills, nesting birds & chicks including albatrosses. Apparently Gough Island has a wonderful avian fauna, including a couple of species found nowhere else.

Gough Island sounds like a wonderful place to spend a year - which you can do, if you work for the South African Meteorological Service! Anyway, for the next year or two, there’ll be more folks than usual there, since the ornithologists will be in residence, catching mice.

https://www.goughisland.com/
Old Feb 12th 2020, 5:09 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Otherwise know as Pip Paddles or Paddles Pip , hatched to the York family YRK and OGK on flat track.
Not know yet if male or female.
If there is a naming comp it will happen late Spring I should thing with official naming ( very important) July/Aug.

Much of the tourism dollars goes towards the peninsula trust . That cares for not just protecting the peninsula and albatross but also other wildlife and heritage out on the headland itself. That includes efforts for the endangered yellow eyed penguins and sea lions.
DoC is very underfunded so there is a need for visitor $ as donations simply would not bring in enough to do the work. It also helps stop people just walking on out over the headland and interfering with the albatross and eggs as has happened in decades past.
The colony itself really needs a de-salination plant as all fresh water , which helps cools the birds in these years of rising temps, has to be trucked in. Warm weather means flies which means ughs for the chicks.

It is the only mainland albatross colony in the world. The only one. I've walked there among those birds.

Oh and they smell of....albatross.

Old Feb 12th 2020, 11:42 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Otherwise know as Pip Paddles or Paddles Pip , hatched to the York family YRK and OGK on flat track.
Not know yet if male or female.
If there is a naming comp it will happen late Spring I should thing with official naming ( very important) July/Aug.

Much of the tourism dollars goes towards the peninsula trust . That cares for not just protecting the peninsula and albatross but also other wildlife and heritage out on the headland itself. That includes efforts for the endangered yellow eyed penguins and sea lions.
DoC is very underfunded so there is a need for visitor $ as donations simply would not bring in enough to do the work. It also helps stop people just walking on out over the headland and interfering with the albatross and eggs as has happened in decades past.
The colony itself really needs a de-salination plant as all fresh water , which helps cools the birds in these years of rising temps, has to be trucked in. Warm weather means flies which means ughs for the chicks.

It is the only mainland albatross colony in the world. The only one. I've walked there among those birds.

Oh and they smell of....albatross.
Thanks BEVS, I found that really interesting and I can see that the wildlife and heritage of the headland/peninsula is very precious. It would be a terrible thing to lose.

And....
Old Feb 12th 2020, 11:59 am
No longer unlocking.

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BEVS, I found that really interesting and I can see that the wildlife and heritage of the headland/peninsula is very precious. It would be a terrible thing to lose.

And....
+1.

Maybe we should stick to naming the rabbit.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:13 pm
Mask wearer

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
+1.

George?
Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:53 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
+1.

Having given up my former weakness of falling headlong into rabbit holes, I'm not acquainted with any of the beasts these days. But Wascally is always a good name for a wabbit.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 2:01 pm
Mask wearer

Having given up my former weakness of falling headlong into rabbit holes, I'm not acquainted with any of the beasts these days. But Wascally is always a good name for a wabbit.
Diced has always been my favourite rabbit....
Old Feb 12th 2020, 2:04 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Diced has always been my favourite rabbit....

I can't eat it, I think it's because I dismembered too many of them to make rabbit stew for the ex.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 5:59 pm
Mask wearer

I can't eat it, I think it's because I dismembered too many of them to make rabbit stew for the ex.
You should have dismembered the ex instead.....
Old Feb 12th 2020, 10:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I'm used to seeing the usual mom sitting on the nest and occasional look at the chick, or at night nothing but wind and vigilant mom, so it was interesting to see so much interaction and grooming (which I take for affection) and the vocalisation that's absent on the day to day cam.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 4:27 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
I'm used to seeing the usual mom sitting on the nest and occasional look at the chick, or at night nothing but wind and vigilant mom, so it was interesting to see so much interaction and grooming (which I take for affection) and the vocalisation that's absent on the day to day cam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60fk2KvToY
What a privilege to be able to see that, thanks for posting! I love how one of them (mum?) enjoys being groomed, reminds me of any busy parent having a moment of 'me' blissful time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.