Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Ahhh those Royals

Ahhh those Royals

Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ahhh those Royals

Originally Posted by rugbymatt View Post
Thats the most important thing eh?

Just watching Ali G in da house, crap but a laugh all the same.
I'm still at work but heading home soon. Done a months, a very good and above average months worth of business in 14 days. Tired, but the paycheck will be good. If it continues like this it would be awesome.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:58 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
I'm still at work but heading home soon. Done a months, a very good and above average months worth of business in 14 days. Tired, but the paycheck will be good. If it continues like this it would be awesome.
Money is quite important to you then?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt View Post
Money is quite important to you then?
Since I am making up for very low, and I mean very low earnings in Dec, Jan and Feb...at the moment it is. Catching up on the bills. That's the problem with this work..not a constant income level. Up and down like a yo-yo.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:45 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
LONDON, England (CNN) -- The relationship break up of Britain's Prince William and longtime girlfriend Kate Middleton sparked a media frenzy Sunday, as the country's newspapers speculated on the reasons behind the split.

In the absence of any official comment, reports blamed pressure from the queen, a relationship turned sour and the prince's army career for ending the five year romance which many had forecast would result in marriage.

The tabloid News of the World, sister paper to the Sun which broke the surprise revelation on Saturday claimed the decision was made at a "royal summit."

It said the prince, second in line to the throne, had been warned by his grandmother Queen Elizabeth, that he was in danger of "creating another Diana" if he rushed into marriage.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/eu....html#cooliris
To make matters worse, the poll shows that 55% think the media is responsible for the break up
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:08 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
Oh the toilet/loo, serviette/napkin and pardon/what conundrums...

It's simple, really - Nancy Mitford wrote the guide (U and non-U).

(U = "us".... as in "one of us"...)

Why anyone would want to marry W beats me. He's turned into a right upper-class [email protected] (his 'friends' apparently made fun of Kate and her family for being 'middle-class').

As for the W's family - must be the out-laws from hell
I found a copy of the book, a few months ago. I read a little for a laugh before I go to sleep, except when it makes me angry; the class system was one of the reasons I stayed here when my contract was completed.

So, do you put the milk or the tea in first?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen View Post
I found a copy of the book, a few months ago. I read a little for a laugh before I go to sleep, except when it makes me angry; the class system was one of the reasons I stayed here when my contract was completed.

I put a tea bag in first.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:16 am
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Tea, then milk; fine bone-china only

I can't help the gosh, loo, napkin etc thingy, though I draw the line at 'what', which always struck me as somewhat rude, so I tend to say 'sorry?'...

Anyway, nice to see you - you've not been around for a while - hope all is well!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:16 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I put a tea bag in first.
Tea bags? in the cup? horror of horrors I think that's even lower that non-U.

But then, I don't drink tea, so I probably rank even lower.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:25 am
The Unmod

Tea, then milk; fine bone-china only

I can't help the gosh, loo, napkin etc thingy, though I draw the line at 'what', which always struck me as somewhat rude, so I tend to say 'sorry?'...

Anyway, nice to see you - you've not been around for a while - hope all is well!
That's the U method, tea first. I don't have any problem with "what", "pardon" implies that I am at fault, and I never am, of course.

I am OK, still sifting through the collected stuff to decide what I can keep, taxes and I married off my last daughter on Saturday.

How are you people here?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tea bags? in the cup? horror of horrors I think that's even lower that non-U.

But then, I don't drink tea, so I probably rank even lower.
Much easier to use a tea bag when it's tea for one.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:29 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I only ever used loose tea and a tea strainer before I came here
Now it Sainsbury Red label Tea bags.... acceptable ...
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:49 am
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

That's the U method, tea first. I don't have any problem with "what", "pardon" implies that I am at fault, and I never am, of course.

I am OK, still sifting through the collected stuff to decide what I can keep, taxes and I married off my last daughter on Saturday.

How are you people here?
CONGRATULATIONS on your daughter's marriage!

As for people here......... where does one start...... so much happened, some left and others joined, and yet it is still largely the same. But somehow different...

Stick around for a while and see what I mean

(PS: I'm off to London in a couple of weeks, to stock up on culture and Marmite... )
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:04 pm
The Unmod

CONGRATULATIONS on your daughter's marriage!

As for people here......... where does one start...... so much happened, some left and others joined, and yet it is still largely the same. But somehow different...

Stick around for a while and see what I mean

(PS: I'm off to London in a couple of weeks, to stock up on culture and Marmite... )
Is marmite U or non U?

Have a good time at the opera.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Congrats on the marriage
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:23 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Is marmite U or non U?

Have a good time at the opera.
Marmite transcends class...

And thanks - I will!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.