Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Ahhh those Royals

Ahhh those Royals

Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ahhh those Royals

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The relationship break up of Britain's Prince William and longtime girlfriend Kate Middleton sparked a media frenzy Sunday, as the country's newspapers speculated on the reasons behind the split.

In the absence of any official comment, reports blamed pressure from the queen, a relationship turned sour and the prince's army career for ending the five year romance which many had forecast would result in marriage.

The tabloid News of the World, sister paper to the Sun which broke the surprise revelation on Saturday claimed the decision was made at a "royal summit."

It said the prince, second in line to the throne, had been warned by his grandmother Queen Elizabeth, that he was in danger of "creating another Diana" if he rushed into marriage.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/eu....html#cooliris
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ahhh those Rohttp://britishexpats.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=7yals

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
LONDON, England (CNN) -- The relationship break up of Britain's Prince William and longtime girlfriend Kate Middleton sparked a media frenzy Sunday, as the country's newspapers speculated on the reasons behind the split.

In the absence of any official comment, reports blamed pressure from the queen, a relationship turned sour and the prince's army career for ending the five year romance which many had forecast would result in marriage.

The tabloid News of the World, sister paper to the Sun which broke the surprise revelation on Saturday claimed the decision was made at a "royal summit."

It said the prince, second in line to the throne, had been warned by his grandmother Queen Elizabeth, that he was in danger of "creating another Diana" if he rushed into marriage.

Other reports said the Queen is very fond of Kate and that she is very upset about the break up.

Methinks this could very well be another Margaret/Tennant, Charles/Camilla and Andrew/Koo Stark scenario.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ahhh those Rohttp://britishexpats.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=7yals

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Other reports said the Queen is very fond of Kate and that she is very upset about the break up.

Methinks this could very well be another Margaret/Tennant, Charles/Camilla and Andrew/Koo Stark scenario.
The British tabloids and the Royals....always so confusing.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:21 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post

WTF? If (and notice I did say IF) she really said this, she is one sick and evil b*itch. Diana was his mother for goodness sake.

It's like Divorce 101: never speak unkindly about the kids' other parent to them because they are genetically half that person.......

wacko.

~SecretGarden
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:28 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I remember thinking Koo Stark was hot at the time. I just looked her up wondering whatever happened to her. Anyone know she had a double mastectomy a few years back;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koo_Stark
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:51 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart View Post
I remember thinking Koo Stark was hot at the time. I just looked her up wondering whatever happened to her. Anyone know she had a double mastectomy a few years back;

I seldom keep a breast of this celebrity stuff
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart View Post

Yes I remember her being diagnosed with breast cancer.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: Ahhh those Royals

This gets even better.

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Snobbery is thriving in Britain -- if you believe the upper-class scorn poured on Kate Middleton's mother after Prince William broke up with his middle-class commoner sweetheart.

"This country is riven by the class system. It is more alive than it has ever been," the Daily Mirror's royal correspondent James Whitaker said after the separation was announced at the weekend.

"The problem was the mother. I don't think it was Kate. When she met the queen, Carole Middleton said 'Pleased to meet you' and asked where the toilet was," Whitaker told Reuters.

The genteel would normally say "How do you do?" and talk about going to the lavatory. But Mrs Middleton was said to have committed the ultimate faux pas when invited last December to attend William's graduation ceremony at the elite Sandhurst military academy.

"Nobody could believe it when she chewed gum throughout," Whitaker said. Britain was long renowned for having one of the world's most rigid class systems, but the age of deference has now passed and politicians vie with each other to promote the merits of a classless society.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe...eut/index.html
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:18 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

It also mentioned being scorned for saying Pardon instead of What if you didn't hear something someone said. Wouldn't saying pardon be more polite?
Or excuse me?

I hope I read that backwards, but I don't think I did.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by cindyabs View Post
It also mentioned being scorned for saying Pardon instead of What if you didn't hear something someone said. Wouldn't saying pardon be more polite?
Or excuse me?

I hope I read that backwards, but I don't think I did.
Yesterday it said 'I beg your pardon' should be used instead of 'pardon'.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:22 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that using "serviette" instead of napkin means you'll be judged as working-class.... the Hyacinth Bucket effect.

They practically had to pay a girl to marry the Crown Prince of Japan due to the expectations of the role.... I don't think I'd want my daughters marrying into such a high pressure position.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:27 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the toilet/loo, serviette/napkin and pardon/what conundrums...

It's simple, really - Nancy Mitford wrote the guide (U and non-U).

(U = "us".... as in "one of us"...)

Why anyone would want to marry W beats me. He's turned into a right upper-class [email protected] (his 'friends' apparently made fun of Kate and her family for being 'middle-class').

As for the W's family - must be the out-laws from hell
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:28 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I've heard that using "serviette" instead of napkin means you'll be judged as working-class.... the Hyacinth Bucket effect.
Damned inbreds talk about "breeding" and "etiquette", yet they know nothing about manners and courtesy.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:39 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday it said 'I beg your pardon' should be used instead of 'pardon'.
They went on at length in an article I read this morning how Kate's mother's family came from the North East-County Durham- originally before they moved down south. Some dingy example from the article, when William's gr gr etc grandmother (Victoria) ascended the throne, Kate's gr gr gr etc grandfather was descending into a coal mine to start his career as a coalminer.

My thought was, yes and your point would be?
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Uncle Eb. Great post

with the crown.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.