Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

5 Reasons why you want to come back to the UK

5 Reasons why you want to come back to the UK

Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:49 pm
Up the Rams

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default 5 Reasons why you want to come back to the UK

Hi

We are hoping to move to Canada later this year and make a new life for ourselves. If our immigration application is not successful we intend to move to rural Spain.

I would like to hear from some of you that have moved to Canada, Spain, Oz, NZ, or wherever it may be, with the main reasons why you have, or intend to move back to the UK.

For many, you must have wanted to leave the UK in the first place to make a better life for your family. What went wrong?

If you were to move abroad again, as a bit of advice for us still in the UK, what would you do differently, in order to make a success of a new life in your chosen country.

I would be interested to hear the 5 most important reasons why life in ?? was not for you.

Cheers
Graham
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Reasons why you want to come back to the UK

Originally Posted by Gray C
Hi

We are hoping to move to Canada later this year and make a new life for ourselves. If our immigration application is not successful we intend to move to rural Spain.

I would like to hear from some of you that have moved to Canada, Spain, Oz, NZ, or wherever it may be, with the main reasons why you have, or intend to move back to the UK.

For many, you must have wanted to leave the UK in the first place to make a better life for your family. What went wrong?

If you were to move abroad again, as a bit of advice for us still in the UK, what would you do differently, in order to make a success of a new life in your chosen country.

I would be interested to hear the 5 most important reasons why life in ?? was not for you.

Cheers
Graham
After having kids young hubby and I felt that we had never really achieved enough to settle down... instead of regretting things we decided to do things with the kids and give them an experience.

After 3 years we feel that this has been done and now we wish to return. Our main reasons are:-

Australia offers us nothing that the UK does apart from space or loneliness whichever way you want to view it.

Try as I may I will always be a POM

England is very far away and all my holidays every year will be spent there!!!

I miss my family

I miss the English social life, food, and most of all sense of humour..... I am sick of people not understanding sarcasm

Heck I miss holidays and spare change!
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers
Graham
hi graham,

need to think about the first half of your question, but in regards to the bit above....

i definately would not have sold my house in the uk, as psychologically i may have coped better with homesickness by not thinking it was so final, so isolating - a kind of mental "get out clause" to make you feel better.

i also would have tried to get a years career break rather than leave my job, and rather than having the big leaving forever party, i would have just told myself and others i was going for a years trial to see what it was like. this wouldve taken the pressure off and wouldve allowed me to enjoy things for what they were more than i have done. in that way, if i was desperate to stay in oz, i could just of stayed there and not worried about job in uk being kept open, but wouldve had more to come back to had it not worked out which it hasnt so im off in 4days time!

im not sure how helpful a reckkie is, but a years career break i think is long enough to live it as youd have to get a job etc etc, and you should know at the end of that time which direction your feelings are going so you could work with that.

best wishes
c
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers
Graham
No guarantee these are my "Top 5", but of the top of my head, I'd say:

Greater level of comfort and familiarity in the UK (even though I left 23 years ago and have spent 16 years in the US) - this covers a whole stack of the "things about the UK that I prefer" related to culure and people

Access to walking/hiking areas and beautful countryside.

Ease of public transport within UK and also to Europe

A less frenetic work philosophy (I'm hoping!). I work like a dog here and my weekends and evenings are usually spent working, chasing the next deadline, etc.

Not having to worry about immigration bullsh*t (the idea I can work at Tesco's or do some private consulting, or whatever, without worrying I'll get deported).

Re: What would I do differently, I'm not sure I'd do anything. Not everyone returns because something "went wrong". Maybe here in the US, I'd have put in my Green Card papers earlier so I didn't need to deal with the whole visa application/renewal thing. Although I am pretty comfortable with my decision to return, I have little choice as to when I return becasue my visa period expires this year and I have literally been too busy with my job to put in my GC papers.

Last edited by dunroving; Apr 8th 2006 at 1:39 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers
Graham
thought about the first bit....
1) the advantages (and there are many eg weather, outdoors, beach etc) are not significant enough to warrant me wanting to change (even if it is subconsciously) the essence of who i am by assimilating, which i feel is what has happened to a lot of people who have been here a long time. at first i noticed this, now im not so much. Is it cos im assimilating??? when you stop noticing things that were v important to you in the beginning does that make it less valid? for eg, i notied things that bothered me in the beginning eg loads of fast food outlets eevrywhere. im so used to them now, i dont give it a thought. (odd) does that make sense?

2)too stepford wives, artificial perfect world.

3) I lived in a small town in the uk probably for 7yrs before i started to get bored. here, it was more like 7weeks! thats in terms of whats geographically accessible within a reasonable time by car to warrant a day trip. ie too spread out to feel part of somewhere bigger.

4) cost of living - really expected to have more disposable income etc. fact is where i live, although houses bigger, they are still the same price as youd pay in the uk, not cheaper. food more expensive etc so wouldnt have been able to achieve what i wouldve wanted to anyway unless i worked full time on a lower wage, which for me was something i wanted to get away from. bad judgement on my part.

5) because i would have less disposable income and would want to visit family back home as often as pos, every holiday i would of had wouldve been in uk and prob not annually, which means living here, id actually see less of the world than if i lived in the uk and could go to a variety of countries, even oz annually as easier to fly from the uk.

......but im glad i gave it a go because more important, or the essence of all thats above, is ive been looking in the wrong place for something. i need to look to MYSELF and be responsible for what I CAN do to make me content, not travel round the world to the same sh*t, different bucket!

for you, you clever person doing a thread like this BEFORE you go, you'll probably have a fantastic time so go for it and enjoy!
good luck
c
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:14 pm
Naughty but nice...

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be

......but im glad i gave it a go because more important, or the essence of all thats above, is ive been looking in the wrong place for something. i need to look to MYSELF and be responsible for what I CAN do to make me content, not travel round the world to the same sh*t, different bucket!

Absolutely brilliant words. The most sensible thing I have ever seen in this forum.

K on it's way to you later today
Old Apr 8th 2006, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Thats good advice to tell yourself and others its for a year or two etc, its difficult when were thinking of moving away not to get carried away with everyone saying you lucky buggers I wish it was me! So then when we get somewhere the pressure is on to 'enjoy' ourselves. It took ages for my mum to realise that when I go shopping, well thats normal as I have no food in my cupboards. She thought we should be going off here and there all the time. I told her mum were not on holiday, this is my life! And that is the problem I estimate that most would be immigrants sat in their houses in the UK dreaming of other lands have no concept at the time that eventually everything becomes same old same old. Thats when you have to have strong reasons to be there.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

lol who needs 5 reasons when one will suffice and that is coz it's home
Old Apr 8th 2006, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

We live in Canada, I don't think you will find it here either. WE too have high taxes, government issues, and crime.

It is only a 7 hour flight if you decided you want to see family.

It is cold here, not really what you may think.

I miss family!
I miss my heritage!
I miss the food!
I miss the comedy!
I miss the quaint villages!

Dee

Hi

Cheers
Graham
Old Apr 8th 2006, 6:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

To piggyback on an earlier post, yes I definitely would have got (or stayed)on the property ladder in the UK.

Even since I last left (in 2001), the cost of any house from that time has probably gone up by at least 50% to 100% whereas where I am in the states it's more like 10% at the very most (and on a lesser amount too - from about 90k dollars to 100k dollars - all of which will be a wash due to the worse exchange rate now compared to 2001).

I "wasn't bothered" at the time to buy a house as an investment, doh. At least I am going back to an area (S. Wales) that is cheaper so not as bad as it could have been (though I was automatically excluded from looking at jobs in about half of the UK or more just because I don't want to be spending most of my salary on my bleedin' mortgage).

Even if UK house prices do not go up much (e.g., if you returned after only 12 mths), at least you would not have to buy a new house, with all the associated costs.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 7:45 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
No guarantee these are my "Top 5", but of the top of my head, I'd say:

Greater level of comfort and familiarity in the UK (even though I left 23 years ago and have spent 16 years in the US) - this covers a whole stack of the "things about the UK that I prefer" related to culure and people

Access to walking/hiking areas and beautful countryside.

Ease of public transport within UK and also to Europe

A less frenetic work philosophy (I'm hoping!). I work like a dog here and my weekends and evenings are usually spent working, chasing the next deadline, etc.

Not having to worry about immigration bullsh*t (the idea I can work at Tesco's or do some private consulting, or whatever, without worrying I'll get deported).

Re: What would I do differently, I'm not sure I'd do anything. Not everyone returns because something "went wrong". Maybe here in the US, I'd have put in my Green Card papers earlier so I didn't need to deal with the whole visa application/renewal thing. Although I am pretty comfortable with my decision to return, I have little choice as to when I return becasue my visa period expires this year and I have literally been too busy with my job to put in my GC papers.
You mean to say North Carolina is not pure paradise?Grew up there as a young lad remember going swimming in some of the lakes in the triad area, tall timber mile after mile ,beautiful scenery as far as the eye can see but as nice as the place looks its still kinda on the boring side.My brother would hate that I said that for he loves north carolina.He calls it God's country!! Homes are very large and about the least expensive in the United States with the exception of Texas and Georgia.Can buy a beautiful large large house for less than 140 thousand pounds.Not bad now only if the place had more things to do in the way of night life or any kind of life. What made you pick north carolina?
Old Apr 8th 2006, 7:52 pm
Up the Rams

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
To piggyback on an earlier post, yes I definitely would have got (or stayed)on the property ladder in the UK.

Even since I last left (in 2001), the cost of any house from that time has probably gone up by at least 50% to 100% whereas where I am in the states it's more like 10% at the very most (and on a lesser amount too - from about 90k dollars to 100k dollars - all of which will be a wash due to the worse exchange rate now compared to 2001).

I "wasn't bothered" at the time to buy a house as an investment, doh. At least I am going back to an area (S. Wales) that is cheaper so not as bad as it could have been (though I was automatically excluded from looking at jobs in about half of the UK or more just because I don't want to be spending most of my salary on my bleedin' mortgage).

Even if UK house prices do not go up much (e.g., if you returned after only 12 mths), at least you would not have to buy a new house, with all the associated costs.
Keeping our house here in the UK is definitely something we are considering, if only for a year or so until we are sure we have made the right decision to move, plus of course the rental income will come in handy if we rent it out.

From what I am picking up here is that the majority of people wanting to move back from Australia is due to the distance away from the UK, family and friends. Whilst still an issue, I do not think it is quite the same for us if we move to Nova Scotia, as we can be back in the UK in 4.5 hours (if the wind is behind us)

Some good points being raised, which we are interested to hear. We want to do all the research on the pros and cons of moving, before we move. We need to be 100% sure it is the right thing to do and that we have covered all the angles (or as many as we can) and potential issues.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 7:55 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
You mean to say North Carolina is not pure paradise?Grew up there as a young lad remember going swimming in some of the lakes in the triad area, tall timber mile after mile ,beautiful scenery as far as the eye can see but as nice as the place looks its still kinda on the boring side.My brother would hate that I said that for he loves north carolina.He calls it God's country!! Homes are very large and about the least expensive in the United States with the exception of Texas and Georgia.Can buy a beautiful large large house for less than 140 thousand pounds.Not bad now only if the place had more things to do in the way of night life or any kind of life. What made you pick north carolina?
Hmm, North Carolina is very variable, what with the rural, poor, flat coastal plain (where I am) in the east to the central piedmont (lot of universities and therefore culturally more interesting) to the beautiful mountainous western third. I would much rather live in the mountains than the flat windy coastal plain.

NC really isn't bad at all. I moved here purely because of the opportunity to work in the department I am in, not because I wanted to leave the UK (again, after only 12 months back there). So it was a professional rather than personally-motivated move. I have got a lot out of my job here over the past 5 years or so, though I have worked like a dog, and am ready to make hopefully my last move, for personal rather than professional reasons. My new job will be a bit of a step down in many ways and it will be difficult to get my research program up and running when I get there because there are fewer researchers and lab facilities in my area.

I have enjoyed visiting the Outer Banks every now and again but other than that I have found eastern NC to be actually rather boring (and way too hot for 3 months of the year).
Old Apr 8th 2006, 7:56 pm
Ping-ponger

.... I do not think it is quite the same for us if we move to Nova Scotia, as we can be back in the UK in 4.5 hours (if the wind is behind us)...
- what, were you thinking of sailing across, then?
Old Apr 8th 2006, 8:07 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Graham

My reasons for wanting to move back to the UK are not negative ones relating to my temporary home in the US, but positive ones about my feelings about the UK. We moved to the US because of my DH's work and to experience a different lifestyle for the second half of our professional lives (in other words, we were both a bit bored with our lives...)

There are plenty of things I do not like about the US but ultimately those are not the factors that will prompt our return. Our lives here are comfortable and interesting, but I want to spend the last quarter or third of my life in the place that I call home, where everything reminds me of what made me the person that I am, and where I am surrounded by the people and things that give my life meaning.

Now, if one or more of our sons decide to stay here, things will get a lot more complicated! And that is something anyone who has children and is thinking of emigrating - be it temporarily or permanently - needs to bear in mind.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.