British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   2021 Weather Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/2021-weather-thread-936274/)

Jsmth321 Jan 25th 2021 3:23 am

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 
The snow never quite materialized like the forecast called.

Lion in Winter Jan 26th 2021 12:07 pm

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12963921)
The snow never quite materialized like the forecast called.

Nor here, either. A bit of wet stuff but nothing like what was threatened.

Expatrick Jan 26th 2021 12:26 pm

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 
Warmest winter ever in Hungary, so far. In Budapest January daytime temps have averaged over freezing and nightime just under freezing.

Summary of last few years -


Within the last few years, January 2017 was the coldest winter since 1901, when Hungary’s lakes and rivers were frozen due to the long-standing minuses. However, January 2018 was the sixth warmest winter with mild weather. That year, winter arrived at the end of February, beginning of March, accompanied by countrywide snowing, reported the expert, adding that “European forecasts also confirm that this year’s winter will be milder than the average.”
I remember that cold winter very well and, as for the following one, one week we went to school in the snow and a week later had class outside in scorching sunshine.

​​​​​

BEVS Jan 26th 2021 11:41 pm

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 
Sea mist

Jerseygirl Jan 27th 2021 11:51 am

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 
Yesterday we had about 8 - 10” of the bloody white stuff. :frown: With temps below freezing for at least the next 2 weeks, it’s not likely to go anytime soon. :thumbdown:

lizzyq Jan 29th 2021 7:12 pm

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 
Due to drive to Chicago from State College, PA over the weekend - cue major winter storm :(

BEVS Jan 30th 2021 3:05 am

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 
Sunny summer day but the blimmin' gusty wind all the time. :thumbs_down:

spouse of scouse Feb 2nd 2021 2:48 am

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 
Just for a change, it's hot. Smoke from a bushfire in the Perth hills makes it impossible to go outside. Some poor souls have received the dreaded warning.
  • You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
WHAT TO DO:
  • For people within the marked Incident Area (the black shaded area within the map), it’s too late to leave and leaving now would be deadly.
  • You need to shelter in your home in a room away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
  • You must shelter before the fire arrives, as the extreme heat will kill you well before the flames reach you.
  • Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
  • Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
  • If your home catches on fire and the conditions inside become unbearable, you need to get out and go to an area that has already been burnt.
  • Protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and trousers, made from cotton or wool, and strong leather boots.
For people within the marked Incident Area (the black shaded area within the map), it is too late to leave and leaving now would be deadly. Important: whether you are in lockdown or have been personally directed to quarantine for COVID-19, you must do whatever you need to do to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.

BEVS Feb 2nd 2021 2:59 am

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12967072)
Just for a change, it's hot. Smoke from a bushfire in the Perth hills makes it impossible to go outside. Some poor souls have received the dreaded warning.
  • You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
WHAT TO DO:
  • For people within the marked Incident Area (the black shaded area within the map), it’s too late to leave and leaving now would be deadly.
  • You need to shelter in your home in a room away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
  • You must shelter before the fire arrives, as the extreme heat will kill you well before the flames reach you.
  • Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
  • Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
  • If your home catches on fire and the conditions inside become unbearable, you need to get out and go to an area that has already been burnt.
  • Protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and trousers, made from cotton or wool, and strong leather boots.
For people within the marked Incident Area (the black shaded area within the map), it is too late to leave and leaving now would be deadly. Important: whether you are in lockdown or have been personally directed to quarantine for COVID-19, you must do whatever you need to do to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.

:(

Lion in Winter Feb 2nd 2021 11:52 am

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12967072)
Just for a change, it's hot. Smoke from a bushfire in the Perth hills makes it impossible to go outside. Some poor souls have received the dreaded warning.
  • You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
WHAT TO DO:
  • For people within the marked Incident Area (the black shaded area within the map), it’s too late to leave and leaving now would be deadly.
  • You need to shelter in your home in a room away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
  • You must shelter before the fire arrives, as the extreme heat will kill you well before the flames reach you.
  • Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
  • Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
  • If your home catches on fire and the conditions inside become unbearable, you need to get out and go to an area that has already been burnt.
  • Protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and trousers, made from cotton or wool, and strong leather boots.
For people within the marked Incident Area (the black shaded area within the map), it is too late to leave and leaving now would be deadly. Important: whether you are in lockdown or have been personally directed to quarantine for COVID-19, you must do whatever you need to do to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.

Oof. I hope everybody was able to get out.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/we...4-81bdfeb4efcd

spouse of scouse Feb 2nd 2021 1:15 pm

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 
Dozens of home lost but no reports of loss of life, hopefully it'll stay that way.

I can hear helicopters and aerial tankers as they travel to and from the fire. The smoke's really bad.

This pic from Perth city gives an idea of the scale of the fire.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...3695123f73.jpg

Lion in Winter Feb 2nd 2021 1:26 pm

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12967206)
Dozens of home lost but no reports of loss of life, hopefully it'll stay that way.

I can hear helicopters and aerial tankers as they travel to and from the fire. The smoke's really bad.

This pic from Perth city gives an idea of the scale of the fire.


Nasty.

Is this climate change at work, or has it always been this way?

spouse of scouse Feb 2nd 2021 1:34 pm

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12967212)
Nasty.

Is this climate change at work, or has it always been this way?

The risk of bushfires has always been part of living in the hills, but in the south west of the State (Perth is part of that), lower winter rainfall and higher temperatures has seen the risk exacerbated. Those two factors are directly related to climate change.

BristolUK Feb 2nd 2021 2:00 pm

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 
Expected 25-30cm snowfall well underway right now.
Nice and fluffy

Nutek Feb 2nd 2021 8:11 pm

Re: 2021 Weather Thread
 
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...c2689cf865.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:56 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.