Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2021 Weather Thread

2021 Weather Thread

Old Nov 27th 2021, 9:30 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2021 Weather Thread

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
You could head back to Portugal. Think we will have a get a little place in the sun for the winter months. 🌴🌞
Portugal is still in the northern hemisphere! It might reach 16C mid-afternoon, but it drops by 1C an hour to 5C overnight - and then it feels colder there.

Here, at least I have central heating (as my bank manager knows!) and the houses are more prepared for the cold. - but I still hate winter!
Old Nov 27th 2021, 9:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

First snow last night. Didn't amount to much though.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Portugal is still in the northern hemisphere! It might reach 16C mid-afternoon, but it drops by 1C an hour to 5C overnight - and then it feels colder there.

Here, at least I have central heating (as my bank manager knows!) and the houses are more prepared for the cold. - but I still hate winter!
The advantage of a place in Florida…good insulated doors and windows, central heating and AC. We have been there at Christmas when it as been almost down to freezing, but mostly the weather is good during winter. Hoping to get down there in the New Year.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 10:54 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
First snow last night. Didn't amount to much though.
Same here Bob. Noticeable shift in temps this week though, I think.
Old Nov 28th 2021, 12:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post

My dad's house in So. California like many of the 1940's era has no heat at all. It never gets below 32F but even at 40F-45F it gets pretty chilly overnight in his house, there is a fireplace but they don't use it, but the fireplace was meant to be the only heat source for the house when built, no ducts or anything, but they are thinking about getting a ductless heat pump because its getting so much hotter in the summers.

They will typically drop about 20 degrees from the warmest part of the day to the coldest part.

68-75F typical this time of year for high temps and 50-55F overnight low.

I don't mind the cold, the only thing I hate about winter is the short days, they are awful.

Snow is a crap shoot in this part of the world, some winters there is lots, some winters not so much, some winters we get arctic blasts of cold air, some winters we do not, only guarantee about winter, is short days..ha ha
Old Nov 28th 2021, 1:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

About 3” of the white stuff overnight…more to come over the next few days.
Old Nov 28th 2021, 7:21 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Not here (yet) but a few miles upcountry

Snow in November (shakes head)..... it'll all end in tears!
Old Nov 28th 2021, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Snowed all day. Was supposed to be flurries on and off today. How do they manage to get the weather forecast so wrong here? In NJ they could accurately forecast the weather 14 days in advance. Here they can’t manage that from day to day.
Old Nov 28th 2021, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Snowed all day. Was supposed to be flurries on and off today. How do they manage to get the weather forecast so wrong here? In NJ they could accurately forecast the weather 14 days in advance. Here they can’t manage that from day to day.
The great lakes can influence weather and climate of the areas that sit near them, so possibly makes forecasting the weather more difficult?

The winter I spent in Milwaukee the forecast was light snow, turned out to be near blizzard like conditions due to winds and lake effect.

In So. California they are really bad at forecasting rain due to the geographic location of the place simply makes it harder since storms have to move pretty far south and often fizzle out by the time they reach San Diego, but upside is they are really good at forecasting sun, but most of the year all you need to say is morning clouds leading to sunshine, a high low to mid 70's and low of mid 60's and you will probably be right for a good chunk of the year.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 28th 2021 at 10:51 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2021, 3:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Watching the snowy scene in the back yard. Bowl of cream of celery soup in hands. Lovely.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

After a cold week here we are back to normal bright blue sky's and 18deg day time but cold nights