Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2021 Random Comment Thread

2021 Random Comment Thread

Old Nov 24th 2021, 7:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2021 Random Comment Thread

Crazy to think about it in a way, so long ago now but she has forever stayed a baby on all Gerber products and ads for nearly 100 years. That drawing is so connected to Gerber products, I don't know if they would ever change it at this point without hurting the brand.

The image was drawn by Artist Dorothy Hope Smith, in 1928 Gerber held a contest for an advertising campaign, Smith's sketch was only partially done when she submitted it, saying in the submission she would finish it if she won, her sketch was a rather simple charcoal sketch that competed against far more elaborate oil paintings and other drawings, the judges of the contest however loved the simplicity of the charcoal sketch and she won the contest, and Gerber bought the rights to the sketch for $300 and in 1931 due to how popular the sketch was, Gerber trademarked it as their official company logo.

The artist died in 1955 at the age of 60 and was a neighbor of the family at the time the sketch was done.

The Gerber Baby herself is the daughter of syndicated comic strip writer-artist Leslie Turner who is most known for doing Captain Easy from approx 1943 to 1969.

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
The Gerber Baby, Ann Turner Cook, turned 95 yesterday.
Old Nov 25th 2021, 12:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Accidentally breaking an egg in the pan is disappointing. Deliberately doing so is a sin.

But each to their own, my stepdaughter likes an egg sandwich with the yolk broken deliberately in the pan so that's one of the breakfasts I give her so she can get off to work full of the joys of spring.

I never do the same thing two days running and yesterday she had an egg sandwich. Today it was straightforward fried egg and toast...she broke the yolk and made it into an egg sandwich.
Old Nov 25th 2021, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My age is 15,578

Old Nov 26th 2021, 1:12 am
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
My age is 15,578
That's in days, right?
Old Nov 26th 2021, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
That's in days, right?

I was bored waiting for the doctor, and decided to see how many days as of today I have been living*, that is what the website told me, the ones you put in 2 dates and it does the math.

*living outside of another human, suppose if you count from the time I had a heart beat, I am slightly older than that.*
Old Nov 26th 2021, 2:25 am
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I was bored waiting for the doctor, and decided to see how many days as of today I have been living*, that is what the website told me, the ones you put in 2 dates and it does the math.

*living outside of another human, suppose if you count from the time I had a heart beat, I am slightly older than that.*
I figured it was because I knew mine was around 15,000 as well.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 2:55 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

24,575, and I have the marks to prove it.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 3:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am still trying to come to terms with less than 11,700 days.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 4:04 am
Account Closed

A woman in the Phillipines died yesterday, she is believed to be well prior to her death, the oldest living person in the Phillipines, possibly one of the oldest ever for human species, but her documents were still being verified at the time of her death, it's being reported she was born on Sept. 11, 1897, the cause of death has not been determined according to reports, although she was tested post mortem for COVID.

If she was indeed 124 years of age, she was 45,362 days old.

As its not confirmed and verified she was 124 years old, I can't say for sure if she way, but if she even got close to 124 years, that is mind boggling to think about, and guess live in 3 different centuries, end of the 1800's, all of the 1900's and 21 years and some change into the 2000's, quite an acheivement if true.

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/...years-old.html

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 26th 2021 at 4:06 am.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 4:11 am
Account Closed

She has mad talent, I am amazed everytime she posts new photos or videos on Instagram and TikTok, the talent and patience needed for just creative work.

https://www.instagram.com/mcroft07/
Old Nov 26th 2021, 8:37 am
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Françoise Gilot, Mother of Picasso's children, Claude & Paloma, and renowned artist in her own right, turns 100 today.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 9:29 am
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

And, only just found out, Sqn Ldr Johnny Johnson DFC MBE, last surviving dambuster - celebrated his 100th birthday yesterday.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 2:44 pm
Doin' It Right

A woman in the Phillipines died yesterday, she is believed to be well prior to her death, the oldest living person in the Phillipines, possibly one of the oldest ever for human species, but her documents were still being verified at the time of her death, it's being reported she was born on Sept. 11, 1897, the cause of death has not been determined according to reports, although she was tested post mortem for COVID.

If she was indeed 124 years of age, she was 45,362 days old.

As its not confirmed and verified she was 124 years old, I can't say for sure if she way, but if she even got close to 124 years, that is mind boggling to think about, and guess live in 3 different centuries, end of the 1800's, all of the 1900's and 21 years and some change into the 2000's, quite an acheivement if true.

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/...years-old.html
It's always been really hard to determine the real date of birth with those cases. Lots of times it turns out that they were actually around 110 in reality, which is still pretty impressive in itself.

Though it's not out of the realm of possibility if they can verify the date of birth, since the current record is for 122 years and 164 days, held by Jeanne Louise Calment, who lived from 1875 - 1997, and whose life was apparently very well documented.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment
Old Nov 26th 2021, 3:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked up north there was a man called Old Andy on the reserve. He was supposed to be 104 years old but it was hard to prove because he had outlived everyone else from his time. What set him apart wasn't just his age though: He had a 100 mile trap line that he managed on foot, only flying out to take his traps to the end of the line. I'm not sure he even owned a skidoo, and sometimes he taught an evening class in syllabics at the school.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 3:37 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
24,575, and I have the marks to prove it.
24,418 for me. We are nearly twins!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.