Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2021…

2021…

Old Dec 4th 2021, 11:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2021…

How has 2021 been for you?

For many of us 2021 has been one of the most difficult years we have been through. Although it has probably been the most boring year of my life, I can’t believe how quickly it has flown by. I can’t remember New Year, the first event I can recall was March 20th, when we had the first Covid shot/jab. After that we felt reasonably comfortable walking outdoors, mask free. June 12th we had the 2nd shot/jab. Our daughter had her 2nd shot on the same day. After approx 15 months, at last we felt that we could get together with our daughter and 6 yr old granddaughter.

The summer months wizzed by. In Toronto we still had to wear masks everywhere, but gradually everything started to open up shops, gyms, hairdressers, restaurants etc. Traffic is a huge problem in Toronto and we decided enough was enough, we decided to sell up and move somewhere quieter and nearer the US border.

Old Dec 5th 2021, 7:42 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2021…

We’ve lived in the same house in northern New York State for 25 years, and while we knew all the good walking trails within 25 miles of us, in late winter/spring 2021 we really got to know them better than we had in the previous 25 years put together. We have one really good area, Stone Valley, both sides of a spectacular river with waterfalls, rapids & plenty of general white water, with so many trails, we now know the whole area like the back of our hand. (You can’t get down into the river bed safely, as it’s managed for hydroelectric generation and they can increase the water level tremendously in just a few minutes!) Pretty good trail etiquette from all other trail users; one party or the other steps way off into the weeds to let the other by safely. (Being totally in the boonies, never too many folks on the trails though.)

This is all because other years, we’d be off traveling, visiting, carrying out civic duties etc. that all virtually disappeared during the pandemic..
Old Dec 6th 2021, 1:44 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Weird year.

For myself, things are good. Mrs. N, Stanley, Buster and Ruby... all the main things I have to worry about are fine.

The rest of the world? What an utter shit show. More and more I find myself cutting off from it as my tolerance fades as the nasty, bigoted, stupid, ignorant people out there get louder and more vocal.

Hopefully '22 (probably the 2nd half of it) calms down a little once we get a handle on the virus and things improve generally. Till then, eff off and leave me alone. *shakes stick*
Old Dec 6th 2021, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2021…

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post

For many of us 2021 has been one of the most difficult years we have been through. Although it has probably been the most boring year of my life, I can’t believe how quickly it has flown by. I can’t remember New Year, the first event I can recall was March 20th, when we had the first Covid shot/jab. After that we felt reasonably comfortable walking outdoors, mask free. June 12th we had the 2nd shot/jab. Our daughter had her 2nd shot on the same day. After approx 15 months, at last we felt that we could get together with our daughter and 6 yr old granddaughter.

The summer months wizzed by. In Toronto we still had to wear masks everywhere, but gradually everything started to open up shops, gyms, hairdressers, restaurants etc. Traffic is a huge problem in Toronto and we decided enough was enough, we decided to sell up and move somewhere quieter and nearer the US border.
Hi a very good question, I agree the year has wizzed by, I would like to say more when i have more time and feel more in the right frame of mind!
Old Dec 6th 2021, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Mr N…I also think the 2nd half of 2022 will see the world more or less back to normal.

Mike…I agree, having more spare time on our hands, has given us the opportunity to get out and walk more.

ECK…what can I say?
Old Dec 6th 2021, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

January and February seemed a quite positive start for the year as we were vaccinated and ready to emerge slightly more often from our compound. Then March happened and I started the grim road of crappy health. To be honest the months just blended into each other.

December has arrived and I am getting better each day. Hopefully when January 2022 arrives I will be feeling as hopeful and excited as I was at the beginning of this year and it will carry on all year this time!
Old Dec 7th 2021, 12:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
January and February seemed a quite positive start for the year as we were vaccinated and ready to emerge slightly more often from our compound. Then March happened and I started the grim road of crappy health. To be honest the months just blended into each other.

December has arrived and I am getting better each day. Hopefully when January 2022 arrives I will be feeling as hopeful and excited as I was at the beginning of this year and it will carry on all year this time!

I hope 2022 will be kinder to you than 2021 was.
Old Dec 8th 2021, 5:15 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

A year to forget.....
Started off with me being trapped in Portugal due to Covid restrictions, everything put on hold.
Major building issues unresolved (nothing working in the pandemic!) - €500 paid for a court-appointed expert in 2020 still results in no show.
Return to UK in June stymied by resurgence of Covid and cancellation of flight.
Eventual return finds me trying to undo things from enforced absence, dead boiler (£4k), penalty for not taxing car (no way to get MOT), car dead (and sold for next to nothing), replacement £8k+
Runaround to get Covid vax (1st) nor way to get 2nd this year
Dentist, one crowned tooth lost, wisdom tooth to be extracted, several fillings to do due to enforced absence.
No way to get back to SWMBO (or VV) for Xmas.

2022 could be worse...... but hard to see it at this stage.
Old Dec 8th 2021, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
A year to forget.....
Started off with me being trapped in Portugal due to Covid restrictions, everything put on hold.
Major building issues unresolved (nothing working in the pandemic!) - €500 paid for a court-appointed expert in 2020 still results in no show.
Return to UK in June stymied by resurgence of Covid and cancellation of flight.
Eventual return finds me trying to undo things from enforced absence, dead boiler (£4k), penalty for not taxing car (no way to get MOT), car dead (and sold for next to nothing), replacement £8k+
Runaround to get Covid vax (1st) nor way to get 2nd this year
Dentist, one crowned tooth lost, wisdom tooth to be extracted, several fillings to do due to enforced absence.
No way to get back to SWMBO (or VV) for Xmas.

2022 could be worse...... but hard to see it at this stage.
I don’t know what the current Covid restrictions are…but could you drive your car back to Portugal? The border restrictions here are much more relaxed using the land border.
Old Dec 8th 2021, 5:25 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t know what the current Covid restrictions are…but could you drive your car back to Portugal? The border restrictions here are much more relaxed using the land border.
No - despite all I'm still not double-vaxed, so entry to France or Spain a problem - as would be crossing the border into Portugal.
Plus I'd likely miss my vax appointment on 5th Jan.
Plus, that kind of journey, on my own, is not something I'd even consider.....
Old Dec 9th 2021, 2:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. ..... Niagara on the Lake area, by chance? When do you go?

Old Dec 9th 2021, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
No - despite all I'm still not double-vaxed, so entry to France or Spain a problem - as would be crossing the border into Portugal.
Plus I'd likely miss my vax appointment on 5th Jan.
Plus, that kind of journey, on my own, is not something I'd even consider.....
Bummer…I remember what you went through at the beginning of this year. Sorry to read you are going through an equally grueling time. Christmas and NY away from your wife and doggies is no fun. 😢
Old Dec 16th 2021, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I'll echo macliam ... a year to forget.

A year we were promised normality that has not been acheived. Lost a grandparent. Not able to say goodbye due to covid. Another grandparent got cancer. Anxiety, waiting for covid restrictions to lift so i could take care of said grandparent. Travel during an uncertain period to be able to do that. Whilst i'm gone, a third grandparent passes away 6 days before my return. New job. New business venture. Sold the home I grew up in due to divorce. Moving for the 1st time in almost 20 years. Busy busy busy. Everyone is busy. No one (including myself) has time for anything anymore. Travel is still uncertain. Went away with a friend for leisure and thought we were 99% of the way back to normal, now Omicron. Seems this year was almost worse then last year.
Old Dec 16th 2021, 9:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Gozit View Post
I'll echo macliam ... a year to forget.

A year we were promised normality that has not been acheived. Lost a grandparent. Not able to say goodbye due to covid. Another grandparent got cancer. Anxiety, waiting for covid restrictions to lift so i could take care of said grandparent. Travel during an uncertain period to be able to do that. Whilst i'm gone, a third grandparent passes away 6 days before my return. New job. New business venture. Sold the home I grew up in due to divorce. Moving for the 1st time in almost 20 years. Busy busy busy. Everyone is busy. No one (including myself) has time for anything anymore. Travel is still uncertain. Went away with a friend for leisure and thought we were 99% of the way back to normal, now Omicron. Seems this year was almost worse then last year.

Oh my, you have had a dreadful year haven’t you? I am sorry to read about your grandparents and parents Gozit.
Old Dec 17th 2021, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my, you have had a dreadful year haven’t you? I am sorry to read about your grandparents and parents Gozit.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.