Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2020 Weather Thread

2020 Weather Thread

Old Feb 17th 2020, 1:38 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Weather Thread

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It was pretty wet though, being on the coast.
A couple of mates back home keep complaining about the grey darkness of winter every time I tell them how far below 0C the temperature had been the last few days, but all I can think is how much I'd love to be sat by the window of a cafe with a view out over the Irish sea or the north Atlantic with a steaming hot bowl of soup and a cup of tea, watching the waves of rain wash over the coast.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 1:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
A couple of mates back home keep complaining about the grey darkness of winter every time I tell them how far below 0C the temperature had been the last few days, but all I can think is how much I'd love to be sat by the window of a cafe with a view out over the Irish sea or the north Atlantic with a steaming hot bowl of soup and a cup of tea, watching the waves of rain wash over the coast.
I know what you mean.

I would settle for walking around in the drizzle with the street and shop lights on (at 3 in the afternoon).
Old Feb 17th 2020, 1:52 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean.

I would settle for walking around in the drizzle with the street and shop lights on (at 3 in the afternoon).
One of them lived in Canada for a few years before moving back. He said he missed the brightness in winter, but give me the grey drizzle any day over what we had last week.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:08 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I've often thought that about him
I should have seen that coming.... obviously Dennis affected crystal balls too....
Little Lion was getting internet outages in Portsmouth, but that's about it. It was pretty wet though, being on the coast.
.... the Bournemouth/Southampton/Portsmouth zone tends to get the rain - here it's more the wind, because the land is relatively flat. Dennis meant both for us.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:11 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Whisht! That sounds like an acute case of nostalgia right there!

Having said which, if it was field mushroom soup with a bit of fried rasher and soda/wheaten bread, I'd join you in a shot!
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:13 pm
Grove 4 Life

Originally Posted by macliam View Post

Having said which, if it was field mushroom soup with a bit of fried rasher and soda/wheaten bread, I'd join you in a shot!
Probably Scotch Broth, but almost certainly with wheaten bread and some creamery butter. Mmmm.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Probably Scotch Broth, but almost certainly with wheaten bread and some creamery butter. Mmmm.

Now I'm hungry.

And nostalgic.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:22 pm
Grove 4 Life

Now I'm hungry.

And nostalgic.
Yes, I didn't realize what I had done was actually a form of self-torture. At least it's above freezing today I suppose.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:57 pm
Resident Cynic

Yes, I didn't realize what I had done was actually a form of self-torture. At least it's above freezing today I suppose.
The sun has just emerged to lighten my mood - but it's still damp and chilly.

The conversation and the rain and all had me thinking of a fine, soft day down by the Suir quayside in Clonmel.
I'd been arguing the toss with the local IT&GWU man in his portacabin "office".
Coming back, there was a guy sitting on the guardrails over the bacon factory outfall, fishing in the pouring rain.
"Are you catching anything?" I asked - looking dubiously at the water - "Only dem auld Trout!", came the reply.
It seems the scraps going into the water drove the fish into a feeding frenzy...... who knew (well, he did it seems!)
Then back to the Clonmel Arms for soup and a salmon cutlet...... (hopefully not from the Suir!)
Old Feb 17th 2020, 3:32 pm
Grove 4 Life

The sun has just emerged to lighten my mood - but it's still damp and chilly.

The conversation and the rain and all had me thinking of a fine, soft day down by the Suir quayside in Clonmel.
I'd been arguing the toss with the local IT&GWU man in his portacabin "office".
Coming back, there was a guy sitting on the guardrails over the bacon factory outfall, fishing in the pouring rain.
"Are you catching anything?" I asked - looking dubiously at the water - "Only dem auld Trout!", came the reply.
It seems the scraps going into the water drove the fish into a feeding frenzy...... who knew (well, he did it seems!)
Then back to the Clonmel Arms for soup and a salmon cutlet...... (hopefully not from the Suir!)

Well he managed to catch more than I ever did. We'd go fishing for mackerel in Belfast Lough, all I ever caught was the side of the quay.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 3:42 pm
Resident Cynic

Well he managed to catch more than I ever did. We'd go fishing for mackerel in Belfast Lough, all I ever caught was the side of the quay.
Aye, I used to wander down the boreen to the auld humpty-back bridge over the stream, where the trout were leppin' all day.....

And as soon as I got there, they'd stop.

Eel from the Shannon, no problem. Salmon ..... the head and tail got buried so deep they're halfway to Australia! Even back then the salmon licence was £5 a day..... and that paid for a lot of snoops.

Last edited by macliam; Feb 17th 2020 at 3:44 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 3:47 pm
Grove 4 Life

Aye, I used to wander down the boreen to the auld humpty-back bridge over the stream, where the trout were leppin' all day.....

And as soon as I got there, they'd stop.

Eel from the Shannon, no problem. Salmon ..... the head and tail got buried so deep they're halfway to Australia! Even back then the salmon licence was £5 a day..... and that paid for a lot of snoops.
According to my dad, we didn't need a license because we were fishing in salt water but he might have been talking total bollocks, and I was only like 7 or something so I wasn't going to question him.

I have eaten a lot of salmon over the years, but never caught one.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 8:55 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Rain today. Proper rain.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 9:05 pm
Resident Cynic

According to my dad, we didn't need a license because we were fishing in salt water but he might have been talking total bollocks, and I was only like 7 or something so I wasn't going to question him.

I have eaten a lot of salmon over the years, but never caught one.
You've not lost much.
​​​​​​​They shed scales like buggery..... so hiding one wasn't an option.......
Old Feb 17th 2020, 9:06 pm
Grove 4 Life

You've not lost much.
They shed scales like buggery..... so hiding one wasn't an option.......
Aye, but of course that would have been his problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.