Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2020 Weather Thread

2020 Weather Thread

Old Feb 10th 2020, 2:32 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Weather Thread

Winter was a mistake.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 4:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Winter was a mistake.

You should try the place where I went to sort out my Spanish - Cuernavaca, the city of eternal spring.

Old Feb 10th 2020, 4:09 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
You should try the place where I went to sort out my Spanish - Cuernavaca, the city of eternal spring.

Now that is beautiful, but for real is that town actually called 'cowhorn'?

I would like to visit Mexico one day though.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 4:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is beautiful, but for real is that town actually called 'cowhorn'?

I would like to visit Mexico one day though.

I used to worry about the cowhorn too, but no, apparently not. From the Wiki:

"The name "Cuernavaca" is derived from the Nahuatl phrase "Cuauhnāhuac" and means "surrounded by or close to trees". The name was Hispanicized to Cuernavaca; Hernán Cortés called it Coadnabaced in his letters to Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, and Bernal Díaz del Castillo used the name Cuautlavaca in his chronicles.[3] The coat-of-arms of the municipality is based on the pre-Columbian pictograph emblem of the city which depicts a tree trunk (cuahuitl) with three branches, with foliage, and four roots colored red. There is a cut in the trunk in the form of a mouth, from which emerges a speech scroll, probably representing the language Nahuatl and by extension the locative suffix "-nāhuac", meaning "near""
Old Feb 10th 2020, 4:21 pm
Hail Satan!

I used to worry about the cowhorn too, but no, apparently not. From the Wiki:

"The name "Cuernavaca" is derived from the Nahuatl phrase "Cuauhnāhuac" and means "surrounded by or close to trees". The name was Hispanicized to Cuernavaca; Hernán Cortés called it Coadnabaced in his letters to Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, and Bernal Díaz del Castillo used the name Cuautlavaca in his chronicles.[3] The coat-of-arms of the municipality is based on the pre-Columbian pictograph emblem of the city which depicts a tree trunk (cuahuitl) with three branches, with foliage, and four roots colored red. There is a cut in the trunk in the form of a mouth, from which emerges a speech scroll, probably representing the language Nahuatl and by extension the locative suffix "-nāhuac", meaning "near""
That's cool, same as a bunch of town names around here are French versions of local native place names, then.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 5:44 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I'll swap you my beatiful Olhão......

Old Feb 10th 2020, 5:46 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
You wouldn't swap, though, it's -2C right now and doesn't look like that

Sun's out, mind.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by macliam View Post

Beautiful.

I've been watching some videos of "go arounds" and, er, bumpy landings in UK and other European airports thanks to the storm. No thanks. I've only ever been in one go-around, and while I know it's safe it's a bit unnerving.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 7:08 pm
Hail Satan!

Beautiful.

I've been watching some videos of "go arounds" and, er, bumpy landings in UK and other European airports thanks to the storm. No thanks. I've only ever been in one go-around, and while I know it's safe it's a bit unnerving.
The airport in Madeira usually has some good ones.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 7:16 pm

The airport in Madeira usually has some good ones.
Yeah, but this is big old Heathrow. This one hopped down on one leg and then thought better of it and took off again.

10 go-arounds in 2 hours.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Feb 10th 2020 at 7:27 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 7:29 pm
Hail Satan!

Yeah, but this is big old Heathrow. This one hopped down on one leg and then thought better of it and took off again.

10 go-arounds in 2 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmi4qPp3szw
If that 60mph refers to the crosswinds then I'm not surprised that many went around.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 7:58 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Gibraltar was fun - come in on one side of the isthmus, hope you stop before you reach the other side - and cross the main road from Spain on the runway!

Mind you, it's easy nowadays - I did it on an Air Maroc Dakota back in the early 80s!

It was a bit of a bumpy landing and the chickens weren't happy - luckily they'd left the donkey in Tangiers!!
Old Feb 11th 2020, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Well its apparently 22 degs here although its a bit overcast and breezy so feels cooler. Also had a few spots of rain on the drive into work.....

Won't be long until the weather starts to turn tho and we all start moaning again that its too hot. Normally April is the the last time the weather is 'nice'....
Old Feb 11th 2020, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Sat in the sun yesterday 25d meant to be the same today.Nice
Old Feb 11th 2020, 4:06 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Sat in the sun yesterday 25d meant to be the same today.Nice
Cool. Sun's out here too. And it's 28. Fahrenheit, of course, but still.

Warm-up coming next week though. Spring is being teased early this year, makes me wonder how March is going to end up like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.