Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2020 Weather Thread

2020 Weather Thread

Old May 26th 2020, 4:20 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Weather Thread

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
No damage to your home I hope! There's always something going on that we could do without
True enough. No damage this time. I think we missed damage from previous quakes though . We're on a slope and I noted a while ago that our deck steps are out of line now and cracks appeared in one of the concrete paths.

Yes. Too close for our Spouse girly all round.
Old May 26th 2020, 5:05 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
This has been our weather for the last couple of days. Lovely for casseroles and doonas. The first photo in the story was taken about 5 minutes from my house.

I did laugh at the 'whack-a-mole' comment from our electricity provider.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/collapse...-weather-in-wa
Whoa. Watch out for downed powerlines, unless the sensible Australians put them all underground.

And what is a doona?
Old May 26th 2020, 8:21 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
No damage to your home I hope! There's always something going on that we could do without

Too close! Stay safe matey.
Thanks SM, all over bar the shouting now.
Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
True enough. No damage this time. I think we missed damage from previous quakes though . We're on a slope and I noted a while ago that our deck steps are out of line now and cracks appeared in one of the concrete paths.

Yes. Too close for our Spouse girly all round.
Your PM, who I'm a great fan of, handled her live interview while the ground and everthing was shaking very well It's very sad though BEVS that Kiwis have had to become accustomed (although never blase) about big quakes

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Whoa. Watch out for downed powerlines, unless the sensible Australians put them all underground.

And what is a doona?
All Perth suburbs are slowly moving to underground power but there are still some with overground. Money, everything always comes down to bloody money.

A doona is a quilit, or a continental quilt, or a duvet, or any of the probably hundreds of other names for it I was trying to buy some silk covers for them at a market in Vietnam and couldn't make myself understood despite my best, woeful efforts at charades. So I got a English - Vietnamese dictionary and wrote out in my best, woeful Vietnamese the closest translation I could find - silk pocket for bed cover The first stall holder I showed it to didn't know what it meant (and why would you!) but he showed it to another one, who did. Voila! I had my 4 silk doona covers in beautiful jewel colours. And after all that I only used one, once. The silk was so slippery that the donna just slid off the bed at the slightest movement. The local op shop was very pleased with my donation.

Edit: A doona is a quilt...I have no idea what a quilit is.
Second edit: the doona just slid off the bed. If it had been a donna that slid off the bed both scouse and donna would have been dead.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 26th 2020 at 8:28 am.
Old May 26th 2020, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Partially cloudy lower temps,nice after the heat of the past days PS a doona, is a kebab in England
Old May 26th 2020, 2:52 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Second edit: the doona just slid off the bed. If it had been a donna that slid off the bed both scouse and donna would have been dead.
A quilt in this case is what I would term a continental quilt or duvet not an American style patchwork quilt nor a UK eiderdown which is a close cousin. Wikipedia tells me ""Doona" is derived from the equivalent Danish and Norwegian term "dyne" and was popularized by the retailer IKEA in the 1970s."

HTH
Old May 27th 2020, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Bright and sunny with good temps
Old May 27th 2020, 12:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quilted coat and UGGS last week...shorts and strappy top this week. Hot and humid...should stay that way well into September.
Old May 27th 2020, 12:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks SM, all over bar the shouting now.

Your PM, who I'm a great fan of, handled her live interview while the ground and everthing was shaking very well It's very sad though BEVS that Kiwis have had to become accustomed (although never blase) about big quakes

All Perth suburbs are slowly moving to underground power but there are still some with overground. Money, everything always comes down to bloody money.

A doona is a quilit, or a continental quilt, or a duvet, or any of the probably hundreds of other names for it I was trying to buy some silk covers for them at a market in Vietnam and couldn't make myself understood despite my best, woeful efforts at charades. So I got a English - Vietnamese dictionary and wrote out in my best, woeful Vietnamese the closest translation I could find - silk pocket for bed cover The first stall holder I showed it to didn't know what it meant (and why would you!) but he showed it to another one, who did. Voila! I had my 4 silk doona covers in beautiful jewel colours. And after all that I only used one, once. The silk was so slippery that the donna just slid off the bed at the slightest movement. The local op shop was very pleased with my donation.

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
A quilt in this case is what I would term a continental quilt or duvet not an American style patchwork quilt nor a UK eiderdown which is a close cousin. Wikipedia tells me ""Doona" is derived from the equivalent Danish and Norwegian term "dyne" and was popularized by the retailer IKEA in the 1970s."

HTH
I've learned a new word, and it will come in handy if I'm every in Vietnam or if there is any sliding off my bed going on. I've always found silk too slippery - can't deal with silk sheets at all. Cotton, or even linen, but no silk.

Low 70s and partly sunny here. Good weather, black mood. Oh well.

[pulls socks up]
Old May 27th 2020, 1:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've learned a new word, and it will come in handy if I'm every in Vietnam or if there is any sliding off my bed going on. I've always found silk too slippery - can't deal with silk sheets at all. Cotton, or even linen, but no silk.

Low 70s and partly sunny here. Good weather, black mood. Oh well.

[[i]pulls socks up]
I would hate to have silk or satin sheets, cotton sheets are lovely.

You've had a huge blow you poor love
Old May 27th 2020, 1:47 pm

I would hate to have silk or satin sheets, cotton sheets are lovely.

You've had a huge blow you poor love
It's ok, other have it worse. Some even had to go into hospital and have bits of stuff pulled out of them
Old May 27th 2020, 2:10 pm
Concierge

It's ok, other have it worse. Some even had to go into hospital and have bits of stuff pulled out of them
Pfft, hospital is a hiccup, yours is a bloody great burp. But I do admire your ability to KBO, and before you think 'what bloody choice do I have', it's the unconscious choice of the resilient and courageous.

Right, enough of that mushy stuff, time for a cuppa (the sherry's on hold for the moment).
Old May 27th 2020, 2:26 pm

(the sherry's on hold for the moment).

Dear god, the sacrifices we make.
Old May 27th 2020, 2:40 pm
Concierge

Dear god, the sacrifices we make.
Old May 29th 2020, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Still bright and sunny with temps in high 20s
Old May 29th 2020, 10:53 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely sunny weather..... open the door and feel the heat come in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.