Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2020 Random Comment Thread

2020 Random Comment Thread

Old May 23rd 2020, 1:17 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Random Comment Thread

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Home from hospital and I'm never going back.
You managed to escape? How did you get the jacket off?
Old May 23rd 2020, 1:20 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Home from hospital and I'm never going back.
You torched the place?
Old May 23rd 2020, 1:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
You torched the place?

Old May 23rd 2020, 2:02 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Good to hear you're out - and I hope you have control over that desire....
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Yikes...that doesn’t sound good...what happened? How are you?
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
You're out!

How are you? How was it?
Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
You managed to escape? How did you get the jacket off?
Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
You torched the place?
I really don't have any right to be so anti-hospital, the neurosurgeon did a great job and all the staff were lovely and looked after me really well. I'm just a bit tired and emotional, I probably need a good bawl.

The surgery was more complex than the neuro anticipated and it took two and a half hours. A large piece of cartilage had broken off and wandered around, doing a fair bit of damage primarily to a nerve. What was going to be a small incision was a 3 inch one through muscle. I was off my head on IV fentanyl for two days and now I'm back on heavy pain meds and a fentanyl patch.

I wasn't so off my head that I required a jacket, or set the place on fire though

Anyway, I'm home now so that's good. No lifting, bending or mad sex for 6 weeks (I made the last one up). Full recovery, including regaining the strength and full feeling in my right leg, is estimated at 3 months. Just another hiccup in life's journey, or some such shite.

Macliam, how's your mate in London?
​​​​​​
Old May 23rd 2020, 2:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't have any right to be so anti-hospital, the neurosurgeon did a great job and all the staff were lovely and looked after me really well. I'm just a bit tired and emotional, I probably need a good bawl.

The surgery was more complex than the neuro anticipated and it took two and a half hours. A large piece of cartilage had broken off and wandered around, doing a fair bit of damage primarily to a nerve. What was going to be a small incision was a 3 inch one through muscle. I was off my head on IV fentanyl for two days and now I'm back on heavy pain meds and a fentanyl patch.

I wasn't so off my head that I required a jacket, or set the place on fire though

Anyway, I'm home now so that's good. No lifting, bending or mad sex for 6 weeks (I made the last one up). Full recovery, including regaining the strength and full feeling in my right leg, is estimated at 3 months. Just another hiccup in life's journey, or some such shite.

​​​​​​

Well, better out than in, as they say

Here's to a good recovery and lots of being waited on hand and foot.
Old May 23rd 2020, 2:13 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​
I've not had an update so far this week - last was that he had recovered his bodily functions, had done a thumbs-up to the family over the video-link and was having meds and machines slowly withdrawn. In that situation, no news is good news! I'll post any update I do get on the main corona thread.... hopefully that he's out of ICU!

How long was your op supposed to take? Were you under full anaesthetic and if so, did they have to do a "top-up"? (So many questions!!) - the reason i ask is because my resection took twice as long as expected, due to adhesions - and they had to top up my anaesthetic, which later caused a few issues. My neighbour is an anaesthetist and says any top-up is harder to gauge than the primary anaestetic, so can have unwanted side-effects.
Old May 23rd 2020, 7:55 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​
So you can have mad sex??? Woo-hoo, Scouse must be jumping for joy

Seriously, glad the problem has been sorted. Now make sure you behave and heal up quickly . Enjoy some down time .Hugs x
Old May 24th 2020, 3:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Well, better out than in, as they say

Here's to a good recovery and lots of being waited on hand and foot.
Thanks Lion. Definitely better out, although I'm a bit disappointed I wasn't offered the option of having the offending bit put in a jar as a take-away. I didn't mean that Scouse is being his usual lovely self, although I had to tell him this morning that I'm able to carry my own breakfast bowl to the sink. I don't know what I did to deserve him but I'm so grateful I've got him.

I've not had an update so far this week - last was that he had recovered his bodily functions, had done a thumbs-up to the family over the video-link and was having meds and machines slowly withdrawn. In that situation, no news is good news! I'll post any update I do get on the main corona thread.... hopefully that he's out of ICU!

How long was your op supposed to take? Were you under full anaesthetic and if so, did they have to do a "top-up"? (So many questions!!) - the reason i ask is because my resection took twice as long as expected, due to adhesions - and they had to top up my anaesthetic, which later caused a few issues. My neighbour is an anaesthetist and says any top-up is harder to gauge than the primary anaestetic, so can have unwanted side-effects.
So good to hear about your friend's progress, he's had some very dark days hasn't he. Everything crossed for no set-backs and a full recovery for him.

The neurosurgeon had told me the surgery would be about an hour. Yes, under GA and I needed additional anaesthesia but I pulled up ok. Not that I remember being in Recovery at all, first thing I can remember is being back in my room on the ward. Don't answer if it's too personal, but what were the problems you had after you needed top up anaesthesia? The whole thing must have been so difficult for you, the diagnosis is bad enough but to then have a unexpectedly complex and lengthy surgery on top of that must have been awful. You're obviously made of tough stuff, just like your mate!

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
So you can have mad sex??? Woo-hoo, Scouse must be jumping for joy

Seriously, glad the problem has been sorted. Now make sure you behave and heal up quickly . Enjoy some down time .Hugs x
I read your message out to scouse and his eyes lit up I told him he's out of luck, mad sex is reserved for holidays and the virus took care of that.

You're such a sweetheart SM, thanks for that
Old May 24th 2020, 4:02 am

Thanks Lion. Definitely better out, although I'm a bit disappointed I wasn't offered the option of having the offending bit put in a jar as a take-away. I didn't mean that Scouse is being his usual lovely self, although I had to tell him this morning that I'm able to carry my own breakfast bowl to the sink. I don't know what I did to deserve him but I'm so grateful I've got him.
With any luck this will be your last "event" for a while. A bit of quiet life will do you no harm.
Old May 24th 2020, 4:02 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

So good to hear about your friend's progress, he's had some very dark days hasn't he. Everything crossed for no set-backs and a full recovery for him.

The neurosurgeon had told me the surgery would be about an hour. Yes, under GA and I needed additional anaesthesia but I pulled up ok. Not that I remember being in Recovery at all, first thing I can remember is being back in my room on the ward. Don't answer if it's too personal, but what were the problems you had after you needed top up anaesthesia? The whole thing must have been so difficult for you, the diagnosis is bad enough but to then have a unexpectedly complex and lengthy surgery on top of that must have been awful. You're obviously made of tough stuff, just like your mate!
Yes, I'm nervous about thinking he's coming out the other side, but I think he has passed the worst.

OK - so your op was a lot more complicated than expected..... but hopefully successful. Like you, I knew little about mine at the time, but I owe a debt to my surgeon because he set out for a laparoscopic resection and then spent the first few hours dealing with unexpected adhesions... but still refused to go for open surgery. Had he taken the "easy" way out (for him), my recovery would have taken far longer. Then, a few months after the op, I had sessions of breathlessness and rapid heart beat whilst walking the dogs, which were a bit worrying and led to various investigations, plus prescriptions of beta blockers, etc., but then just "disappeared", never to be seen again after a few months. Once no physical reason could be found, this was all put down to temporary effects of the anaesthetic working through my system..... The positive side-effect is that I started taking daily BP, pulse and weight measurements and have kept those up to this day.
Old May 24th 2020, 4:14 am
Concierge

Yes, I'm nervous about thinking he's coming out the other side, but I think he has passed the worst.

OK - so your op was a lot more complicated than expected..... but hopefully successful. Like you, I knew little about mine at the time, but I owe a debt to my surgeon because he set out for a laparoscopic resection and then spent the first few hours dealing with unexpected adhesions... but still refused to go for open surgery. Had he taken the "easy" way out (for him), my recovery would have taken far longer. Then, a few months after the op, I had sessions of breathlessness and rapid heart beat whilst walking the dogs, which were a bit worrying and led to various investigations, plus prescriptions of beta blockers, etc., but then just "disappeared", never to be seen again after a few months. Once no physical reason could be found, this was all put down to temporary effects of the anaesthetic working through my system..... The positive side-effect is that I started taking daily BP, pulse and weight measurements and have kept those up to this day.
Breathlessness and rapid heartbeat - that would have been very worrying. I didn't realise an anaesthetic could have those sorts of after effects, it's very interesting.

Your mate definitely sounds as though the worst is behind him, and I'm sure he'll continue to receive the same excellent care as he has to date.
Old May 24th 2020, 2:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit disappointed I wasn't offered the option of having the offending bit put in a jar as a take-away
I had a minor op in my teens and the district nurse removed stitches at home some time later. I kept my stitches in a nice looking wristwatch case for a year or more.

Old May 25th 2020, 12:09 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I had a minor op in my teens and the district nurse removed stitches at home some time later. I kept my stitches in a nice looking wristwatch case for a year or more.
The only surgery keepsakes we have is M's beard!

He has a very bad infection in his foot after surgery to fix a shattered heel. He had numerous pins and plates and unfortunately his foot became infected at one of the incision sites. He was in ICU twice in 3 weeks and spent a long time recovering. During one of his "drugged" up days when he first came home ( pain meds make him loopy!) he decided to cut off his beard. At the time it was ZZ Top length and I used to braid it for him. He just cut the braid off and what was left looked like a toilet brush. It took a day or so for him to realize what he had done. It had taken a long time to grow it that long. Crazy man I keep it in a bag in my jewelry box. Precious mementos.
Old May 25th 2020, 12:15 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Weirdo
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
The only surgery keepsakes we have is M's beard!

He has a very bad infection in his foot after surgery to fix a shattered heel. He had numerous pins and plates and unfortunately his foot became infected at one of the incision sites. He was in ICU twice in 3 weeks and spent a long time recovering. During one of his "drugged" up days when he first came home ( pain meds make him loopy!) he decided to cut off his beard. At the time it was ZZ Top length and I used to braid it for him. He just cut the braid off and what was left looked like a toilet brush. It took a day or so for him to realize what he had done. It had taken a long time to grow it that long. Crazy man I keep it in a bag in my jewelry box. Precious mementos.
I can't call Mr SM a weirdo after hearing about the dreadful time he had. But you.........weirdo
Old May 25th 2020, 12:21 am

Weirdo

I can't call Mr SM a weirdo after hearing about the dreadful time he had. But you.........weirdo
He is follically challenged on his head so saving the beard hair seemed quite normal to me! We told the kids it is part of their inheritance..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.