Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

2019 Weather Thread

2019 Weather Thread

Old Dec 3rd 2019, 3:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2019 Weather Thread

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
No, I'm not really very fit at all. We have open substitutions and rest very frequently, plus we stop for more water breaks than just half time when it gets above 90F. I just drink about a half gallon of water and sub out often and I'm fine.

It only happens a couple times a year though, most of the rest of the season it's high-70s or mid-80s and that's much more manageable.
On the really hot days do you have something like Gatorade to replace all those electrolytes that leak out of you? Water's great, but I'd need something more on really hot days.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 3:43 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
On the really hot days do you have something like Gatorade to replace all those electrolytes that leak out of you? Water's great, but I'd need something more on really hot days.
Last season someone brought a big cooler full of it for everyone when it got really hot.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 3:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

41C at the moment, 106F. I need to go to the shop but I'm waiting until it cools down to 39C
We have AC, luckily. We picked our house without even considering AC and heaven knows what it would have been like without it. We get ridiculous humidity here. There's a store up the road - not too far to walk, but there's some sort of shrub on the way that seems to absorb the air because when you walk by it, there's just nothing coming in when you try to breathe. I literally hold my breath in as I pass.

Then, upon leaving the cool store and coming out into the humid air, your glasses steam up just as they do when entering a warm building from the cold air outside.

Not quite as hot as that, but I've played soccer in 95F weather. You need a lot of water but holy crap you lose about 3lbs in sweat. Did it once on an empty stomach though, 0/10 would not recommend.
I once played 5-a-side immediately after work one day - indoors and not hot - and followed with a sauna.

Not a good idea. I lost 7lbs but I was so exhausted I was in bed at 6.30pm!

Old Dec 3rd 2019, 3:45 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I once played 5-a-side immediately after work one day - indoors and not hot - and followed with a sauna.

Not a good idea. I lost 7lbs but I was so exhausted I was in bed at 6.30pm!
If I could lose 7lbs in a match I'd be playing every day

Ours start at 6pm though, so I'd have to stay up longer.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I am miserable at that kind of temp now not being accustomed to such temps anymore (pretty much anything over 26 is blah for me now) but once upon a time when I lived in Phoenix, I was working at the airline still and Phoenix was our hub, and after working outside in 115-117F for several days in a row, I tell ya 106 felt nice...lol..... Not much different I guess with cold, week or 2 at minus 20-minus 25 and then down to 0 and 0 actually feels not too bad..... Worst part of Phoenix was I only lived 12 minutes or so from the airport employee parking lot, so the inside of my car never really cooled down even with max a/c on.

Is this normal type of temp for your area or a heatwave? I know you get hot in your area just not sure what is normal hot or abnormal hot.

41C at the moment, 106F. I need to go to the shop but I'm waiting until it cools down to 39C
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Gatorade on tap when I worked in Phoenix, it was amazing. We even had Gatorade/fruit snack carts that drove around the ramp handing out drinks and apples/oranges during the summer months, have to say they really kept us hydrated.

Old Dec 3rd 2019, 8:15 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Rain lots of rain non stop rain
Well, I hope it is needed rains . If not I hope it stops before it reaches flood conditions.

Today the storm has passed. MrBEVS was not called for Civil Defence but there are the usual slips , flooding here and there and trees down about the place.

Old Dec 4th 2019, 3:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Last season someone brought a big cooler full of it for everyone when it got really hot.
Thanks goodness for that, you might have all ended up as little puddles otherwise.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
We have AC, luckily. We picked our house without even considering AC and heaven knows what it would have been like without it. We get ridiculous humidity here. There's a store up the road - not too far to walk, but there's some sort of shrub on the way that seems to absorb the air because when you walk by it, there's just nothing coming in when you try to breathe. I literally hold my breath in as I pass.

Then, upon leaving the cool store and coming out into the humid air, your glasses steam up just as they do when entering a warm building from the cold air outside.
Humidity makes high temps even worse. It's mostly a dry heat in Perth but can be both very hot and very humid during the cyclone season up north.
When we returned to Oz, refrigerated air conditioning was second on my 'must have' list (location was the first).

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I am miserable at that kind of temp now not being accustomed to such temps anymore (pretty much anything over 26 is blah for me now) but once upon a time when I lived in Phoenix, I was working at the airline still and Phoenix was our hub, and after working outside in 115-117F for several days in a row, I tell ya 106 felt nice...lol..... Not much different I guess with cold, week or 2 at minus 20-minus 25 and then down to 0 and 0 actually feels not too bad..... Worst part of Phoenix was I only lived 12 minutes or so from the airport employee parking lot, so the inside of my car never really cooled down even with max a/c on.

Is this normal type of temp for your area or a heatwave? I know you get hot in your area just not sure what is normal hot or abnormal hot.
I think lots of people get more intolerant to extreme heat or cold as they get older, although of course there are also people for whom 'too hot' isn't a thing. One of my nieces in the UK is like that, whenever she's on holiday in a hot country she'll sunbake endlessly, despite me warning her about skin cancer!

41C/106F isn't an abnormal temperature for Perth summers, although many days are 'cooler' and a few are hotter. I believe the mean average maximum for summer is around 32C. The worst times for me are when we get a 'heatwave', a period of a week or more when the maximum doesn't dip below 35C/95F. Nothing has a chance to cool down, it's murder!
Old Dec 4th 2019, 4:23 am
Hail Satan!

Thanks goodness for that, you might have all ended up as little puddles otherwise.
Even without that, and it's not there at every match, we stop very regularly and rotate players often when it's that hot.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A bit cooler it seems compared to Palm Springs where my mom lives, average temps Jun/Jul/Aug/Sept range from 37C to 42C for daytime high, but during heatwaves can get hotter, but low humidity for the most part, so very dry.

Humidity makes high temps even worse. It's mostly a dry heat in Perth but can be both very hot and very humid during the cyclone season up north.
When we returned to Oz, refrigerated air conditioning was second on my 'must have' list (location was the first).

I think lots of people get more intolerant to extreme heat or cold as they get older, although of course there are also people for whom 'too hot' isn't a thing. One of my nieces in the UK is like that, whenever she's on holiday in a hot country she'll sunbake endlessly, despite me warning her about skin cancer!

41C/106F isn't an abnormal temperature for Perth summers, although many days are 'cooler' and a few are hotter. I believe the mean average maximum for summer is around 32C. The worst times for me are when we get a 'heatwave', a period of a week or more when the maximum doesn't dip below 35C/95F. Nothing has a chance to cool down, it's murder!
Old Dec 4th 2019, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 2019 Weather Thread

Not quite as hot as that, but I've played soccer in 95F weather. You need a lot of water but holy crap you lose about 3lbs in sweat. Did it once on an empty stomach though, 0/10 would not recommend.
I have watched football before in over 100d all doors and windows open ice cold beer and just a little sweaty.No weight loss
Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Well, I hope it is needed rains . If not I hope it stops before it reaches flood conditions.

Today the storm has passed. MrBEVS was not called for Civil Defence but there are the usual slips , flooding here and there and trees down about the place.
Still raining or should i say absolutely lashing down non stop since monday noon the rain is needed and very welcome. The trouble in spain they get no rain for so long when it does it tends to flood because the water can't get away quick enough. but the spanish cope well.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 2:44 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Officially, apparently the town got 21" of snow the last couple of days. It was more like 16" in my end of town though. 10 on Sunday, 6 yesterday.
Old Yesterday, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Backwashed mine and the neighbors pool yesterday.Today is overcast with a bit of brightness and the threat of more rain.We had over 200mm of rain in 3 days.hi mods if reading any chance of rain,snow,thunder,lightning and umbrella emojis please just askin
Old Yesterday, 6:35 pm
Concierge

42/108 tomorrow. We're all doomed I tell you, doomed.